Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota YB5 for restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ade sym

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Bimota YB5 for restoration Reply with quote

Saw this for sale:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-YB5-for-restoration-/252512453858?hash=item3acaea44e2:g:-6oAAOSwHoFXvrSC

Ade
brian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be an awesome project.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most Bimotas, looks like the engine is a tight squeeze in the frame
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
skylinespeedster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

want to bid on this yb5 . just wondering if it belongs to "made in italy" as there in Stowmarket . ? not sure what its actually worth or if its going to be collectable . just like fact its an oddball bimota . engine easy to source and bulletproof .
add it to my growing collection . harris "harribox fzr . rvf400. zx10r "bi tubo " bike . 2 x gsxr1100 . srad 750 .
cheers simon
nick sanderson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylinespeedster wrote:
want to bid on this yb5 . just wondering if it belongs to "made in italy" as there in Stowmarket . ? not sure what its actually worth or if its going to be collectable . just like fact its an oddball bimota . engine easy to source and bulletproof .
add it to my growing collection . harris "harribox fzr . rvf400. zx10r "bi tubo " bike . 2 x gsxr1100 . srad 750 .
cheers simon
Hi
Im the highest bidder at the moment, I had one of these years ago and this would suit my limited bubget.
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: YB5 Reply with quote

Ouch....just went past £9100 and still seven hours to go!!

Ah, well, slipped out of my clutches again!

MikeJ
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable, jumped from approx £3K last night to £9.1K this morning.........

Odd that certain models appear to be sky rocketing and some others are worth the same monies as 5yrs ago??
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 20 years just about EVERYTHING will need refurbishing. Total strip down painting, carbs, brakes, silencers/exhausts, fasteners, engine! it all needs rework and refinishing.

Bad enough even if you supply the grunt labour for assembly disassembly.
This bike will take many hours and thousands to restore to 'show' condition (ignore the vendors comments!)

I really just cant see it being worth £9k as its is (and 7 hours still to go)

Lovely to see it being rescued but aaaaagh!
skylinespeedster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Yb5 Reply with quote

Spoke to seller yesterday. Seemed genuine. Had lots of people asking to buy it now. He didn't think it was worth much hence no reserve and low start price. I was going to bid 8k. Seems to be lots of bids ? To be honest I much prefer original non restored bikes. Will save my pennies and look elsewhere. My rvf400 is mint low miles original . Same zx10r but with 25k lavished on it by previous owner. My Harris "harribox" is one of only 50 full spec factory bikes . You win some you lose some. What's people's opinion on that sb6 on eBay with lots of maintenance done at 6.5k. .?

Simon
Retroman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: YB5 Reply with quote

Whoever has bought this has caught a very bad cold.
Bought an FJ1200 many years ago that had been stood and knew what it may entail to get the engine back up and running.
I was at the time a Yamaha mechanic and had the necessary workshop facilities.
Needless to say the previous owner had tried to start it with dry rings and it had fired up on the two cylinders that still had compression. Wrecked the bores and the block was a b.....d to get off.
Would be interesting to know from other owners with similar frames how easily the engines drop back in.
Worked on a Harris Magnum years ago that was having a GS1000 engine transplant and it was a nightmare trying to get back in as the frame flexed inward and had to be pulled open to get enough clearance to get it back in and line the mounts up.
Everyone likes to dream of finding a bargain garage find but they are a myth believe me.
You would be far better off with a high mileage Bim that has been regularly ridden and serviced.
From memory blocks on the FJ are not all the same by the way different oil way routes on some of them so a second hand block etc may fit but then started oozing oil.
Very silly money for this.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yb5 Reply with quote

skylinespeedster wrote:
Spoke to seller yesterday. Seemed genuine. Had lots of people asking to buy it now. He didn't think it was worth much hence no reserve and low start price. I was going to bid 8k. Seems to be lots of bids ? To be honest I much prefer original non restored bikes. Will save my pennies and look elsewhere. My rvf400 is mint low miles original . Same zx10r but with 25k lavished on it by previous owner. My Harris "harribox" is one of only 50 full spec factory bikes . You win some you lose some. What's people's opinion on that sb6 on eBay with lots of maintenance done at 6.5k. .?

Simon

The bike (SB6)....is owned by PhilFingers on this Forum....and the bike went to the Manchester Bike show this year where we put on a show each year.....all of his bikes are up for sale...including a YB11.....he has got the Sb6 running and sorted from when he bought it a couple of years ago....and hes been using it since.....hes good with his spanners so should be OK.....he also makes the stands to make dropping the engine to change the front sprocket and sort the clutch slave out also....
nick sanderson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yb5 Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
skylinespeedster wrote:

Simon

Shame the frame has been polished
The bike (SB6)....is owned by PhilFingers on this Forum....and the bike went to the Manchester Bike show this year where we put on a show each year.....all of his bikes are up for sale...including a YB11.....he has got the Sb6 running and sorted from when he bought it a couple of years ago....and hes been using it since.....hes good with his spanners so should be OK.....he also makes the stands to make dropping the engine to change the front sprocket and sort the clutch slave out also....
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the frame polished although you could look for some carbon frame covers or have it brushed.
It's a good bike
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-YB5-Yamaha-FJ1200-engine-MINT-only-2900-miles-from-new-/252636012576?hash=item3ad247a020:g:3DkAAOSw4GVYKe5B

Now restored and back for sale.
deep pockets queue here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: