Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10 on holiday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: DB10 on holiday Reply with quote

Hi all, it has come to that time again. Taking the bike for a spin into the Alps. I will endeavour to get the pictures of the bike in various locations (Steve may need help).

Finally got the wheels sorted out, and after the initial problems they have transformed the bike. Fitted Dunlop Sportsmax 2's they feel better than the original Michelin's, just put another rear tyre on the bike to ready it for the trip. We are going to be using "Bikeshuttle" (if any of you have any experience of them?), to get the bikes to Geneva and then on into the Alps for some serious playing about, we should be there for 9 days, I will let you know how it works out, and I will try and get some pics of the bike and stunning locations for you all.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe riding Glen......try and keep it mostly on 2-wheels....and I'll assist with loading of pictures on your return.......
glened

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the trip, passed ok with only a few incidents. We got flashed by more speed camera than ever before. I think we racked up at least several separate occasions, will have to wait and see what drops on the door mat. Managed to drop the Bimota on one of the mountain passes Embarassed met an Italian in a 4x4 on very tight blind hairpin. Thought I had saved it... right up to the point were it high sided me. broke the brake lever and managed to smash the oil level sight glass. Lost all the oil on top of an Italian mountain on a Sunday.. even the churches were closed. Had to get bike collected and taken to Bolzano (were we staying that night) 100miles away from bottom of the mountain. Managed to fabricate a repair next morning using a two swiss franc coin and instant gasket Very Happy

Had a brilliant time, will try and get some pics uploaded.

The bike shuttle worked really well and gave us 7 cracking days riding in the Alps.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I suppose that classifies as "mostly keep it on two wheels"...you weren't supposed to take my comment quite so literally though...
Ducati still make and sell those sight glass windows...around 5-6gbp from recollection...usually to order only though...and they are just silicone in place like your coin...Can't recall though whether it fits from the back or front...pretty sure it's the back....so clutch off...basket off with ducati special tool, and engine sidecar off also....glad you're back in one piece...and not spread over the side of a mountain in 1'000's of pieces...just need the piccies now...as in...another job for me... Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction....fromducati exploded parts diagrams....sight glass unit is a push fit from the outside...with rubber seal...that part of engine isn't under any pressure...
glened

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the seal from our friends at Ducati Manchester, the seal as you mentioned just pushes in from the outside. Had to purchase 4ltrs of very expensive oil from a Ducati dealership in Bolzano 30 euros a litre!!! the correct oil for the engine!! 15-50s wrong....it made the gearbox difficult to use with lots of false neutrals. Dropping the oil this weekend and replacing it 10-40s. I need to find what brake lever is fitted the DB10? I think it is the same as fitted to 1098. However with a retail price of £100.00 I may use the option to fit a set of Brembo radial master cylinders with levers. Scuffed the handle bar end so again not sure if to replace or get them both into an engineering shop to turn .5mm off each one and then get them anodised. Other than that the bike is good, those wheels made going up and down the passes an absolute delight. My favourite was the Furka and Grimsel passes. The front fork oil as given up as the bike is now very soft on the front end, with compression and rebound dampers wound up to the max. Another job for winter.
glened

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and get some pics for you all.

DB10 on the top of the Furka Pass

No bike, just a nice piccy at the top of the Grimsel Pass

Andermatt setting of for anther days riding

Just stopped for coffee

Sight Glass Missing !!

Not the way I planned to see some of the Italian passes!! on a tow truck to Bolzano..

Sight Glass repaired Very Happy

Back to riding Very Happy

Another day at play, the weather was very kind to us

En Route to Chamonix Cool

I hope I have not bored you to death with some of the holiday pics. Guess I needed an excuse to have a play with Photo Bucket......and get some pics for you all
morebhp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics - looks an epic trip Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad it's an easy fix. Great photos. Thanks for sharing Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly Guacamolli!!!!!!!! Ze Caveman Old Dog learns new tricks....Congrats on publishing your pictures....which 12 year old did you find to assist you?

Nice pics....good to see them first hand on the Forum and not via an email...teehee......A picture without a Bimota in?...Not often would I say that A bimota always doesnt add to a picture...but in that case you may be right....If I had a close up of your brake lever I could lookie see through spares and see if I could assist....save you going the Radial brembo route...although I think you may want to.... Laughing

Down/up at Rivi later this aftie.....as theres another Bimota due up there also to keep me company....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: