Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Vehicle Identification Plate member survey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnmankit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: DB2 Vehicle Identification Plate member survey Reply with quote

Hello again folks. The nice people at Bimota have told me that it is absolutely not correct (their words) that my DB2 was supplied (or left the factory) without a DGM number stamped in the bottom field of the VIN plate rivetted behind the headstock.
Can I do a survey of members to see how many DB2s have or haven't got this number? I would be very interested to know the result and take up the case with the factory.
Not wishing to stir things up - just to be able to put the facts to them. By the way, who was the official importer during the DB2 era?
Thanks in advance.
Kit
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats tough them telling you that....as if they would know better....shame....theres at least 4 other DB2 owners active on here...Welshlamb, BimotaNige, TVRRICH and Jimip86 in the UK alone ///go to Memberlist and you can search them out and pm them if its easier....also on this register any name in blue font you can also email and ask them....

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_db_en.html
barnmankit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims. I'll give it a day or two to see who comes out of the woodwork before I start digging deeper. I'd rather other owners saw it as an interesting exercise and a small contribution to the convoluted history of the marque that we love in spite of everything!
I'll be chewing up some twisty mountain roads on mine this weekend, DGM number or not!
Cheers, Kit
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi My DB 2 EF Does'nt have a DGM number ,the vin plate is blank in that space, hope this helps
Rich.
barnmankit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Rich - that makes 3 UK DB 2s without the DGM number. I suspect that Bimota were pretty nonchalant at that time about the markings on export bikes, though of course they'll never admit to it. In a way I sympathise - all they wanted to do was build great bikes, not shuffle papers and conform to stupid red tape...
Hey ho, I'll just fire up the animal and go for a ride.
Safe riding to all of you and have a good weekend.
Kit
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know...it appears that the Sb4's....for UK bikes also didnt have a stamp in the DGM section on the frame tag plate......but then that doesnt surprise me.....

barnmankit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting (but not surprising)... Maybe it was just a UK peculiarity at that time. Was there an official importer then? Perhaps they would know.
On googling DGM, it also stands for Derizione Generale Motorizzazione - the Italian authority responsible for approving vehicles (for use in Italy).
In fact Bimota have sent me a PDF of the generic Type Approval for the DB2, which is apparently the only document they can supply me with, and which shows a VIN plate with DGM 53495. Whether or not I can persuade the French bureaucrats that that is enough remains to be seen.
The French importer from that era wants €300 for a certificate of conformity.
My antipathy for bureaucracy is growing exponentially...
Have a good week folks.[/img]
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Paperwork! Reply with quote

Well Kit, at least that ties up with the number stamped in DGM field on my VIN plate.

Looks like German bikes had it filled in probably because of their strict registration/testing regime.

CofC didn't exist as such at time of the DB2 build but my Italian approval doc is specific to DB2SR so maybe there is also one for DB2 and separately for DB2FE. Might be worth checking out the German contact I got my bike from if Bimota really only can (or can be arsed to) send the standard DB2 approval doc.

Good luck

I know a guy that's taken about 18 months to register an old Laverda in Spain due to their breaucracy. At times the 'casual' British approach has its benefits for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: