Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

My DB1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shay001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'll be stuffed, obviously does not work until you've had 6 lagers

vort28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Good excuse to have 6 lagers !! Shocked

Just wait till you have to put up 2 pictures !! Thats going to be fun !! Very Happy
stratos23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

I can relate to your vacuum tap issue, since I'm in exactly the same boat. So perhaps we can sort two DB1's out in the process!

I do have the original vacuum taps in a box, but the previous owner said they let him down a few too many times, so fitted std Piaoli 3 position petcocks (with reserve). I'm presuming that's the sort of thing on yours now too? These are foolproof EXCEPT they're a real arse to get to - involves lying on the ground and winding your fingers up inside the fairing around the oil cooler - and if the bike's hot, you burn your hands. Not really ideal.

I wouldn't mind so much if my low fuel sensor worked, since then I could just leave them on reserve and top up when the light came on. Then turn the taps off once back home with a cool engine.

Most DB1 owners are in this position and simply use the trip-meter to approximate consumption (not sure if your fuel level light works). All that's wrong in my case is the sensor itself.

So I'm a bit reluctant to reinstate vacuum taps, since they are famous for being a nuisance. but they ARE available if you want to get new ones - through Bevel Heaven or the Paioli site itself (link below)

If I can't find a replacement fuel level sensor, Paioli do a version of the 3 position petcock with a built in reserve sensor - which would then couple to the reserve light circuit to the DB1's dashboard (doing away with the orig stand alone sensor). Could be a good solution?

http://www.paioli.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64%3Amanuali-con-sonda&catid=17%3Amanuali&Itemid=36&lang=en

In fact, Paioli now supply a tap for just about any Italian bike, particualry catering to classics, so the options are numerous. This is another good link:

http://www.omgitalia.com/rubinetti-benzina-moto-depoca/

The other option, would be to find a tap where the outlet and tap are at either ends of the unit (ie 180º to each other rather than 90º) - which puts the tap at the forward-facing part of the petcock. Then you could fit an extension to run forward for easier access (the Paioli taps for Vespa/Lambreatta have this extension to clear the bodywork).

OR you could cut a little hole in the bodywork as I've also seen done - in varying degrees of finesse - although I'd rather not...

Helpful?

Love your bike BTW - looks GREAT! Post some more pics!

Now, where's that beer...

Cheers.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shay001 wrote:
and to be honest, I am more interested in assistance with my query re vacuum taps than posting that someone else seems to have done (many thanks).

The tap question may be found in this thread

Time for another beer Rolling Eyes

Vacuum taps.
Not had any issue with the bikes I have that have these , SB6/DB4 , don't suffer from any problems that are related to their function. Only down side I have is that these bikes are not in constant use so float fuel evaporates ,it then takes a few seconds of turning over to get vacuum up to then release petrol to carbs.
Maybe previous owner put proper taps on so could prime carbs, or maybe just couldn't get replacement.Although I would guess switching them on and off on a DB1 is quite difficult.
stratos23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing...

do you have the belly pan? Mine's a bit knackered, so I'm getting a new one made and could possibly get two done if you're keen (being done in Australia too)...?
shay001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So much to reply to so I'll start with my antipodean friend Stratos - yes I have the belly pan, it has some lovely scratches on it so generally it lives in my office cum spare parts room. Yes also to the 3 position tap conversion, currently running that, the fuel sensor is still there but disconnected. My first employment was as an aircraft electrician, so the plan is to get it running right, run a few tanks of fuel and then rewire the fuel sensor circuit working. It may just be disconnected or there could be other issues. I have 2 vacuum taps arriving shortly. At the moment the GBP v AUD is not so bad, getting them from Mdina Italia.

The vacuum tap problems I had heard about were starting (this was encountered in the Australian Two Wheels magazine test of the DB1) and also losing power on or near full throttle.

As you can see the bike has Contis, and it sounds far more menacing than the termis on my 848 and Scrambler. The contis had some slight surface rust, I got them ceramic coated and they look great. The header pipes will be receiving the same treatment.

The bodywork on mine is in poor condition. Ian Gowanloch does have molds for replacement stuff but is not enthusiastic about flying into such a task, he's pretty busy. Who is doing your replacement belly pan?
As the bodywork is replica on mine (evidenced by incorrect dzus fasteners) it would be nice to have genuine but at least I do have the bike. I do have a second fairing nose (I will post photos) based on an image I saw once of a 24 hour DB1 racer. Twin headlamp, looks good. Going out today, will post photos tonight (2 photos = 12 lagers, should do it) Paulaner, not a bad lager, prefer Pilsner Urquell though.

What can I say? In beer and bikes my tastes are somewhat refined Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 750cc engines in those bikes do have a deeper bark/growl than say the 900 units from ducati...
shay001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh yeah, they sure as hell do.

I actually loaned mine to a good mate for a quick blast, you could hear him 2 blocks away (or was that 3?). Anyway it was amazing to hear the obvious joy I was giving to the average person by merely firing the beast up.

here are images of that fairing nose I mentioned. I acquired it from some guys who had raced one here, I had a good friend of mine (now sadly deceased) make it up as you see it, including paint (I gave him a free hand, he was a brilliant painter). As stated, I saw a pic in some book years ago of a DB1 racing in a 24 hours event. Those large red areas are extra vents.

and obviously I have mastered this posting photos thingy, yay!!!
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shay001 wrote:

and obviously I have mastered this posting photos thingy, yay!!!

Must have been the 12 pints that did it!!

You just showing off now , 3 pictures in 1 post!!
stratos23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

sorry for the delayed reply - been mental at work.

Let me know how those vacuum taps go then. I guess as long as they flow enough, they should be fine.

That twin headlight fairing looks beautifully made - nice work! Looks good enough to be a factory item. Do you have the lights and mounting etc to make it work?

It's Ian Gownaloch whose making me a belly pan - I know he's busy and it might take him a while, but he always delivers in the end. In mean time, mine's fine - just starting to break down from all the heat soak.

ROad my DB1 to work yesterday - guaranteed to start the day on the right foot!
stratos23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

sorry for the delayed reply - been mental at work.

Let me know how those vacuum taps go then. I guess as long as they flow enough, they should be fine.

That twin headlight fairing looks beautifully made - nice work! Looks good enough to be a factory item. Do you have the lights and mounting etc to make it work?

It's Ian Gownaloch whose making me a belly pan - I know he's busy and it might take him a while, but he always delivers in the end. In mean time, mine's fine - just starting to break down from all the heat soak.

ROad my DB1 to work yesterday - guaranteed to start the day on the right foot!
shay001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I have a set of lights, spare mirrors and a spare screen to fit. I will have to acquire the actual branched wiring, or try to make something up myself. It actually looked quite good on the race bike, actually better than the square headlight.
shay001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to the vacuum taps issue. I spoke to Ian Gowanloch tonight, according to him (and I feel he should know better than the average) the vac fuel taps had 2 problems.
1/ starting after a bit of a layoff, float bowls run dry, starting took a bit longer

2/ running at full or near full throttle, seems the vac fell away leading to fuel starvation.

Apparently no real solution to problem 1 but problem 2 was cured by fitting different rate springs into the taps.

My taps (new from Mdina Italia) arrived 2 days ago, they are sealed so changing springs is not an option but Ian is of the opinion that later taps would have that problem solved.

Let me state for the record

I hope so!!!
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've owned my DB1 for about 15 years now, one of the first things I did was change the vacuum taps, I managed to source a set of Ducati taps from a supersport I think, they worked fine for the five years I rode and raced it.
I'm not sure if they still work as the bike has been in my lounge/office for the last ten years.

Gerald
shay001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, mine has the same type of manual taps fitted, however my aim is to attempt as much as possible to restore this bike back to original. Hence my questions about vac taps. Nearly all the bits I need are here.

so I guess soon enough it will be time to "suck it and see"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: