Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Jet size & Dyno test

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: SB6R Jet size & Dyno test Reply with quote

Guys took SB6R to PDQ motorcycle development and they tested on there Dyno as iwhile ok its been running a little wooley in the mid range
Before adjustments it made 129bhp
after it made 141.97bhp (this is at the back wheel obviously)
Also with out the ram air effect which he thinks is good for another 5bhp.
(vent pipes from carbs must bee connected to airbox for this to work properly)
To make it run clean all the way through the rev range they have fitted 165 main jets and altered the air mixtures, ''no idea what was fitted originally as it looks like the jets have been drilled''
It runs lean on the next size down main jets and very slightly rich on the 165's
It just has a flat foam air filter and exhausts have been canted inwards hide under and exit under the seat in middle instead of on the side.
Torque is approx 90 ft lb at 9,000rpm but this is difficult to measure accuratley as apparently the dodgy clocks interfere with this reading ( they all do that gov)
Its fitted with an electric fuel pump that i have moved out of the airbox and squeezed it on left hand side just above where seat unit bolts on.
Dyno operator was a smart bloke and has seen quite a few of these and seems to know his stuff, he advised against fitting uprated coils and mentioned that unless the engines had work done the carb corrector kits arnt needed. also always best to run with fuel pump fitted not gravity feed, but be wary of to high a supply pressure.
Bike is pulling like a train
No idea if engine has had other work done seems pretty standard to me.
I hope above is of some use to anyone as I know info on this beast is hard to come by
I can reccomend the guys at PDQ and for less that £200 for all the work and 3 hours labor I was well chufed.
Now questions
Replacemet clocks what do we recommend and whats the best??? mine has just gone backwards.
Lighter wheels worth fitting ??or just bling ??
Also fuel tank switch in the tank. whats it off and how do I get one? Suzuki part does not fit Even though bike is lite it gets heavier to longer you have to push it to the petrol station.

Cheers Gary
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds healthy Very Happy
The pipes meeting in the middle, they're probably off an SB6 - Bimota Carbon's bike was like that he was in the Netherlands and sold it.

Ram air - some say it works but the actual amount is up for debate ... but on the 6R it increases the air box volume which is good for any bike.

Jonny B uses Koso Clocks which are nice and do the job without costing the earth.
Lighter wheels are good, the originals are Antera and heavy ... BST might well be raising prices due to the £ value.

Don't know about the switch on the tank but it could be the wires need soldering back on. My 6 uses a similar tank and the fuel light was always a bit hit and miss - I zero my trip odometer and look to get 140 miles but I also carry a 1.5litre fuel friend
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Friend-1-5-Litre-Fuel-Bottle-Red-made-in-Germany-Motorcycle-can-/152317547157?hash=item2376d55295:g:J34AAOSwa39U0fBL
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assume you delivered it with the bodywork removed to have it done that quick?

I'm also looking at wheel replacements. Dymag list SB6R. Was going to do the rounds at Motorcycle Live and see if anyone will do a show special price. I'm also after replacing the exhaust system with something that doesnt weigh as much as the rest of the bike. I also like a little bit of noise!

When i got the bike last spring the clocks were playing up but I found that the more i use the bike the more reliable they have been. They now read more or less accurately and haven't plunged in to darkness recently.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymags are about the only company that list Bimota fitment.
Got them on a few of my bikes and not had any fitment issues , although you have to be careful on some bikes as fitment changes half way through production, although you should be fine with SB6R as all had Antera wheels. They are heavy though. See link
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wheel+wieght&start=0

As EC says , those power figures are good, would be more than happy with that.

Spongebob - On the exhaust front you are going to be in the special one off builder market really, only place that will list them is Moto Corse and they are about £3k
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race fit Legend system is around 1500 but that's for a side mounted can
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Yep I was lucky enough to buy Bimota Carbon's from Holland bike off him.
And the pipes were fitted already. Hes done a very decent job of it and I think it looks a lot better than the standard set up. Hes also fitted new headlights and has altered make them come on together so its nice to see where you are going. Only problem ive had so far is the alternator drive coupling shearing just after I bought it of him but on the plus side it got me aqainted with the bike.
A couple of times one of the carbs has flooded but suzuki carbs are suseptable to that im told.
Body work only takes a couple of mins and 10 screwws to remove, its does leave the exhaust unsupported though when on the Dyno,
Left fairing and everything else on
Only issue on Dyno was #1 header collet worked loose during the run.
Operator was familier with bike and they had done quite a few so they had a some good baseline data and knew what they were aiming for.
I think im leaning toward the Dymags just have to see what Santa says
Hole for low level fuel switch is plugged so nothing to solder wires to.
Circuit test out ok and panel light works. Just need to find out what fits.
Agree with you the more you use the bike the better everything seems.
Brake discs do sound a little rattlely espically when going backwards which is unnerving but Ive been told thats normal.
Well pleased with work done by these guys and I will be returning with my ZX12R in the new year. They even made me a decent cup of tea.
Bike is behaving lately and drives really well wish Id have done this earlier in the year when the weather was better.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see my pm ?
Spongebob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Dymags are about the only company that list Bimota fitment.
Got them on a few of my bikes and not had any fitment issues , although you have to be careful on some bikes as fitment changes half way through production, although you should be fine with SB6R as all had Antera wheels. They are heavy though. See link
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wheel+wieght&start=0

As EC says , those power figures are good, would be more than happy with that.

Spongebob - On the exhaust front you are going to be in the special one off builder market really, only place that will list them is Moto Corse and they are about £3k

I got recommended to a custom exhaust builder via Facebook. He produces exhausts from stainless, titanium or inkanel (might spelt that wrong) and a few guys in the SP1/2 world swear by him. He's only up the road and price estimate is very good. I'll start a separate thread to show off his work and give an opinion when it goes off to him end of the month. Pictures of his welds look a thing of beauty!
Spongebob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

gary sb6r wrote:
Yep I was lucky enough to buy Bimota Carbon's from Holland bike off him.
And the pipes were fitted already. Hes done a very decent job of it and I think it looks a lot better than the standard set up. Hes also fitted new headlights and has altered make them come on together so its nice to see where you are going. Only problem ive had so far is the alternator drive coupling shearing just after I bought it of him but on the plus side it got me aqainted with the bike.
A couple of times one of the carbs has flooded but suzuki carbs are suseptable to that im told.
Body work only takes a couple of mins and 10 screwws to remove, its does leave the exhaust unsupported though when on the Dyno,
Left fairing and everything else on
Only issue on Dyno was #1 header collet worked loose during the run.
Operator was familier with bike and they had done quite a few so they had a some good baseline data and knew what they were aiming for.
I think im leaning toward the Dymags just have to see what Santa says
Hole for low level fuel switch is plugged so nothing to solder wires to.
Circuit test out ok and panel light works. Just need to find out what fits.
Agree with you the more you use the bike the better everything seems.
Brake discs do sound a little rattlely espically when going backwards which is unnerving but Ive been told thats normal.
Well pleased with work done by these guys and I will be returning with my ZX12R in the new year. They even made me a decent cup of tea.
Bike is behaving lately and drives really well wish Id have done this earlier in the year when the weather was better.

Gary - do you think PDQ would do an attractive price if we both go for Dymags via them? £2160 direct from Dymag with rear sprocket. Same price from HPS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: