Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB 2 headlamp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: DB 2 headlamp Reply with quote

I have seen on the forum about advice on changing the original headlamps for the red eye FZR 400rr sp version but what bike does the original lamp come from, especially the version for a UK bike?.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZR 400/600 Yamaha, can't remember what years. Also MZ Scorpion - which may be a cheaper option if you are looking for new old stock - there is believed to be a stash of these somewhere in Aus.

You do need to be careful as Bimota have dedicated Hi and Low beam lamps wheres as some of the other variants have dual Hi/Lo beam lamps that appear to have a non standard Yamaha bulb - which cost a small fortune here; you may have to make up a small sub-loom if you go down that path. I did this on a DB2 I owned some time back as the original headlamp was for Right Hand Drive countries and we drive on the left over here so the low beam dipped the wrong way and it eventually got picked up at an MoT.

Cheers
Nigel
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for an original unit or just for knowledge for potential future use,,,,,,Original UK bikes had a twin filament single bulb single reflecter one piece unit with a separate side light bulb in the unit....Euro models couldn't or wouldn't allow side light in the same unit so a separate side light unit was fitted above it.....Twin projecter beams on later models, like as other said on MZ Skorpion,,,also a Yamaha Unit...I could get the code off the Original lamp Unit if you like
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, From the replies im getting the impression swapping a UK spec one would involve more than a straight swap![img][/img] i would love to see a close up of your original 2 Bims and the numbers off it
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit complicated if you were swapping to a foxeye unit with their special expensive bulbs....but going back to standard for the UK is straightforward...each of you beam unit will have 2 spade connecters.....the standard unit has 4 spade connecters....one for low beam and one for high beam so wiring and connecters would stay the same...and still work as norm off the LHS switchgear...I'll photo up my original unit back and front...the standard lamps are also shallower with the back box so no space issue there...I had to fiddle around with my speedo drive cable and cut a slot in the back of the twin beam Vdue unit to get it to fit...evidently as you have a separate sidelight unit atop the main unit that is cut out in the bodywork...you'd probably keep that but you could also pull those 2 connecters and connect onto the sidelight in the main unit.......
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact...mine looks just like this from front to back....rubber cover plug on back of bulb is missing on this one though that "seals" the unit.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR1000-FZR-1000-RV-1992-Headlight-Unit-Headlamp-Front-Light-/381726127170?hash=item58e0a67442:g:m1sAAOSwARZXpHYz

Number and words on front are

H4
motorcycle
110-31696 japan
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers on the front lens real difficult to read without a torch shining on it....on the back and front it says Koito, Japan, on back its stamped SAE M 90 12V 60/55W...I've taken piccies and will upload later...3 pin connecter bulb on the back...think I have photos of how mine was connected before I changed it...only pliers needed...kept same connecters.......rubber grommets in plastic casing 4 no are electrical hole rubbers from Halfords as fitted by BImota to keep vibes down maybe as Duc engine fitted to this bike and not a Yammie unot...Early FZR600 units seem to be the same...1991 ish
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer 2 Bims, looking forward to the pics of yours
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This unit is exactly the same as the one removed from my DB2...same codes on front and back...and still has the rubber cover in place..."snapped" top 2 brackets not such an issue...glue the rubber grommets in place...fit the tube ally insert and bolt and large flat washer and it will hold itself in place on the standard DB2 front subframe...and at the bottom...still desperately waiting for photobucket to upload pictures..I swore it could never get worse but I was wrong....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZR600-FZR-600-3HE-Headlight-Head-Light-Lamp-1991-/332064066301?hash=item4d508f8afd:g:g9AAAOSwI2dXFVoP
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask the seller if the bulb and P clip are beneath the rubber cover if interested...as the P clip fits to the unit to hold the bulb in place and in the right orientation...hopefully pictures now

TVRRICH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2 Bims, thats handy the light unit is in Coventry Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that looks different is that theres no hole drilled for the sidelight bulb in the base of the unit...but no need for you as I gather you'll just stick with the existing separate side light atop the main unit anyhow...other than that its identical to the unit I took out...hopefully if you pop to collect it you can get discount as they wont need to post it...even though they say free P&P
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have asked vendor and bulb and p lip there, may go for it,
cheers
Rich
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose it depends if you ride at night...or whether your MOT man doesn't like the sticky tape on the lens....which should be OK....that's considered a pass...but VOSA for bike certificate doesn't allow stick on parts.....Cant recall whether it was a great beam or not...tis a 55/60 w halogen bulb so cant be that bad......
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, i dont really use it at night much if at all but the tape looks crap and does block a fair bit of light!. It got through the MOT ok last year and is due again soon so we will see,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: