Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

ignition (or fuel) problems, some suggestions please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shay001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuckin' A
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shay001 wrote:
fuckin' A

See ya there Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
shay001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly taking my DB1 to the BSFOS is looking a little more remote. I went to remove the LH engine cover to access the alternator and thought I would give the area around the sprocket a clean.

Something did not look right, and the sprocket was able to slide along the shaft by about 20mm. There should be a bolt fastening the sprocket to the shaft, it is not there. (like to point out that this is the first time I have removed the cover).

The splines on the sprocket are shot, as are the chain teeth, the shaft will need a second opinion, but I think it is stuffed too.

The spare sprocket I have won't fit this shaft, bummer, as it has large square splines and the existing shaft has fine splines, so either way it looks like I am up for a new shaft. As I have often said, when you buy older stuff you also buy the skill (or lack of same) of past owners.

On the plus side with the engine out I can replace the swingarm, which was looking rusty in places. Rolling Eyes
rpo83

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still trailer it there and display it, i'll be bringing my SB6 up which wont be running...

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DB1 had the F1 engine configuration - depending on which year motor you have will depend on what type of output shaft you have - the earlier F1's had skinny wheels so when the motor was fitted to early DB1's there was an offset between the front and rear sprocket - this could be overcome by the use of an offset sprocket -either fine or coarse spline - check out Bevel Heaven, they have a good selection.

The alternative fix is to put in a 750 PASO output shaft as these had a longer shaft to provide the correct offset for the 160/60/ZR16 rear tyre. I have this conversion on my DB1 and there is no visible offset with a straight chain run using conventional flat sprockets. Incidentally I also did a 520 chain conversion using chains and sprocket from Bevel Heaven - they were really helpful in sorting out the correct parts to match the spline count.

The font sprocket should be held on by a splined tab wit two lock wired cap screws that fix to the front sprocket.

If you are looking for an original output shaft I have the old F1 item laying around, but as I say you will need an offset front sprocket to make it work properly.
shay001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offers of help, may take you up on them. When I wrote main shaft I meant of course LAY shaft (as it is called in the DB1 parts book). The spare small sprocket I have is in fact for 500/600/650 Pantah (oh well, when you buy of eBay you do take chances.

The splines on the shaft look reasonable. In the end this is my bad, should have removed the cover and looked there when I first bought the bike. But because the rear sprocket was good, I made an assumption.

Thanks again guys, should I need to get bits I will let you know
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here; you will find all manner of sprockets and keeper/lock plates to suit your application:

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Chain-Sprockets-page-2/
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here; you will find all manner of sprockets and keeper/lock plates to suit your application:

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Chain-Sprockets-page-2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: