Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

What is going on at BIMOTA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For instance, I would love to purchase a DB5 tail section and seat and see if it fits my DB6 to enhance comfort but I'll have to wait to see one in person and take measurements to see if it will work. I can imagine that the parts, if available from Bimota, would be around $2,500 USD. That is way too steep for a "it might be nice to have".

Personally, parts prices have gone through the roof. Look at new exhaust prices for full systems/spaghetti systems. $2,800-$4,000. Then look at all the billet stuff (clutches, do-dads (i.e. Rizoma etc.)) and it appears to be a bit over priced as well. WTH?

I guess I should get a second and third job... Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can save your thoughts....db5 and Db6 subframes and exhaust systems are completely different...from the front header to tip of end cans...also db5 end cans are longer and parallel... DB6 cans shorter and taper to the end....even though same engine and frame, tanks are different db5 battery down low lhs behind fairing..as opposed to under the tank...I'm sure it can be done...but a lot of mods...shame really as the db5 seat has no problems no matter the mileage...coils and relays, fuses and number plate holder...all different places and sizes...no wonder they cost so much...
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that let the air out of my spare tire. I guess I could very carefully make a mold of my seat and tail section bodywork and then play with some options.

A bit more difficult and more work than I was hoping for though. I should have known that other than perhaps some frame bits, gauges and other non-body work related items that they are all really completely separate designs.

I had hoped for some little bit of legacy design dimensions to linger but...

Oh well. Rolling Eyes
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
Personally, I hope that they can pull it out again and keep going strong. It is really a pity when a great marque vanishes due to the economy.

I hope that their pricing can come down to mortal levels soon. I have seen a few Desmosedicis and Superleggeras in dealerships but they typically were bought for eye candy while the suspected owner gets their finances in order or they are one of the shop's buddies who don't ride them much and either put them on display or sell them on consignment where they will hopefully have a greater audience.

I mean, how many people can walk into a bike shop and plunk down $50K-$60K on a bike, even with creative financing? Oh they will spend it on their car or SUV, boat etc. but a bike is viewed more as a toy to them. At PI, it generally appears to be doctors, lawyers, and independently successful businesspersons. Most can only dream.

Hey K. I think that for Bimota to survive it will need to be absorbed, either by an auto conglomerate such as Fiat, or Audi and positioned as an uber brand above Ducati with an uber premium price tag. The premise of Bimota was super bike for select few back in the day when the rest of the world, with rare exception, were building spaghetti frames. The writing for Bimota was on the wall with arrival of first gen Gixxers and Fireblades.

As for stocking parts, very few dealers will stock anything with exception of maintence items and wear and tear parts, and that's for the models they sell the most of. In the old days, dealers would compete with each other in terms of who had the largest parts inventory. Today, I am ecstatic to have the part delivered next day, same day delivery is nothing short of a miracle.

Bimotas are quite a rare animal in the US and are a tough sell. Bill had an SB6R in stock for months before I came to look at it, and I was the first one to test ride it. Glad I did as it lit the flame. Bimotas are much more recognized and appreciated in Europe and Australia. As well as Ducati is doing on the US market, Bill still relies on other brands including Triumph to make things work.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I prefer to shop at PI due to the long relationship I have with them and I am glad that they are thriving.

It would be nice to have Bimota formally back in the states and SoCal is certainly the one state that has areas that can afford the price.

I think you are right that a large, exclusive or luxury brand auto mfr. should step in and assist with financing and co-ownership. The real question is who is out there that can carry on the designs? There aren't many out there like Tamburini or Robbiano. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: