Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Aprilia RSVR thoughts...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Aprilia RSVR thoughts... Reply with quote

I don't know why but I am getting an itch for an Aprilia in general and RSVR in particular. I know, i know... selling my SB8R in order to thin out the herd. In Aprilia i see a great handling bike but also something practical on a daily use level. I get nervous when riding SB8R on the streets or having to park it and leave it anywhere, whats with all the fancy carbon fiber panels.

I am a bit on the fence about the Aprilia factory designed engines - i understand them to be very good but what about reliability and cost of maintenance? A good alternative seems to be RSVR model with Rotax engine. Any thoughts?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought an Aprilla is more likely to be stolen and sold for parts than an SB8
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In LA anything can get stolen. There are also bunch of cretins that don't give a rat's ass about anyone else's property. I'm also worried about c-fiber every time an 18 wheeler goes by or a construction dump truck - always some sort of crap flying from those.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate has a second generation RSVR Factory, he loves it and does a lot of miles on it. It looks nice and makes a good roadbike he says it's comfortable too. I saw a guy with one dumping it's coolant apparently some had dodgy hose clips. Second gen are hitting that "forgotten" bike thing where they're harder to sell than buy
RWG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,
I am mostly tuned to Ducats bikes it in last 4 years I sampled a 2nd generation rsvr bol_dor replica, liked it so much I have added a 1St gen Tuono & and a rsv mille R the latter being my favourite April's. Very good bike, easy to live with and equal to my Ducati's but they do not have the same credence.
Best of luck
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
A mate has a second generation RSVR Factory, he loves it and does a lot of miles on it. It looks nice and makes a good roadbike he says it's comfortable too. I saw a guy with one dumping it's coolant apparently some had dodgy hose clips. Second gen are hitting that "forgotten" bike thing where they're harder to sell than buy

Cooling line clips were noted as one of the issues, but apparently an easy fix. Also, rear brakes require bleeding quite often to be anything of real use. I read that a heat shield should be an eas fix but was unclear if indeed it took care of that issue. Big concern is that the odometer (and not the trip odo) tends to reset itself to ZERO if the battery goes dead (!) - this is on the older models... Obviously this is info is bits and pieces from brief research.

One thing in common for Aprilia feedback is that they all love it. Very positive news indeed.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
No,
I am mostly tuned to Ducats bikes it in last 4 years I sampled a 2nd generation rsvr bol_dor replica, liked it so much I have added a 1St gen Tuono & and a rsv mille R the latter being my favourite April's. Very good bike, easy to live with and equal to my Ducati's but they do not have the same credence.
Best of luck

I guess the RSVR Factory is the model to get. Local dealer has a 2001 Mille with 21k miles for under $4k. An RSVR Factor can be had for around $6k. My "youngest" bike is a 2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika so I'm inclined to go new-er.

I mulled over the idea of getting a Duc but there are just so darn many of them out there. I just want to have a "me too" bike. A friend of mine just acquired an MV F3 800 RC AMG. Great looking bike with all the right stuff, but it's just so small. Plus the current situation of MV is less than encouraging.

I'm really after a bike I can ride whenever I want without having to spend tons of $$ in doing so. So far, the only bike in my stable to afford me that luxury has been my BCR (and every Beemer I had so far). The Beemer does everything well, but nothing great. With exception of RC51, I'm not feeling much of anything for the Japanese market. However, Aprilia offers much more bang for the buck compared to a similar model year RC51. Clean and unmolested RC51 are going for $6k and up. $3k beaters can be found but I'm not into collecting junk.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a few days riding around Tasmania on a RC51 SP1 Honda. If you want a daily rider, this is not the bike you want. It is uncomfortable, overgeared, peaky. Riding in a town meant staying in first gear. It needs 4-5000 RPM to get going.

This particular bike handled like rubbish as well. Very vague in the corners. I don't know if this a trait of all of them. This was the worst bike I have ridden in a long time. After a short time, I envied my brother who was riding a Honda 700 Transalp, that's how bad it was.

The SP1 is probably at home on the racetrack but regular street riding is not it's forte.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a Triumph 675R ?
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say anything about the Ape as I've never owned or ridden one. OTOH, I own an RC51 SP2 as well as 999R. Stock, it is hard to understand how the RC51 could have been competitive with the 999R. With an Ohlins rear shock, Kyle reworked front fork and rear shock linkage, it is easy to see how it could be competitive. Set up this way, with PC3 and Sato Titanium cans, Heli bars and Sargent seat I think I have maybe $5K into my RC51. With used Marchesini magnesium wheels, I'm at a bit over $6K It is every bit the match for my 999R which has BST CF wheels, Ferracci bars, Sargent seat and a custom tune, and more comfortable, less finicky to ride and maintain.

I think the notion that it takes $6K to get a clean RC51 is mistaken. I've seen a number of clean un-molested bikes go for under $4K in my area. The popularity of these bikes means that although it takes a little patience it is fairly easy to put together a really nice RC51 for around $6K. My guess is my RC51 would work better than a stock RSVR factory.

For what it appears you're after, I'd probably look hard at the 08+ CBR1000RR and current generation GSXR750. Both are extremely capable and reliable as sewing machines.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Have you considered a Triumph 675R ?

Not really. I have never ridden a Triumph, but I do like the Look of the new Thruxton and I was really hot for the Speed Triple 15th anniversary when it came out but it was too much money for me at the time.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: RC51 Reply with quote

Ray, several years ago, I looked around for something cool and reliable. RC51 fit the mold and a nice S2 could be had for around $4k. For whatever reason, I never got around to buying one but kept checking now and then on the prices. They did firm up a bit, and that is something to be expected of the value RC51 has to offer.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
djk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had 2 SP1s(RC51), one for 5 years and another for two and agree that they are not a daily ride, they are heavy, over geared, fuel injection can be snatchy(power commander or similar will help) and can be a whale to hustle around corners but all this is forgiven when you listen to it, i had open pipes on both and miss that sound so much.

I looked at an RSV before i brought my first SP1 but the Honda badge swayed me. I still think about buying a RSV now and agree the R would be the better bike to buy.

My current bike is a 2016 GSXR750, light, fast and does everything you want and then some but i find it bland, i tell my friends it has no soul.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are things - none of them have a soul, neither are they sexed so calling them she is a bit, well sexist.
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The APRILIA RSV4 Factory APRC Carbon Special Edition would be a cool version if any were actually for sale ATM. Not many of them around.

There are apparently a LOT of RSV4 models for sale now with prices all over the place. I am not certain which one is better than the others. I know the HP has gone from 180 in 2012 to 201 now... Shocked

I guess it depends on your MAX budget.

I have also seen some nice RC51s for sale but also some really bad modifications to some (as well as the RSV4's). Some people only have BAD taste. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: