Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Light wrote:
Well the day has come and it's finally arrived! I now have a beautiful SB4S, all complete and very original. I am very happy. need to do an amount of recommisioning as it's been in store for a while, carbs, clean an balance, brake and fork fluid changes engine oil and filter, plus some new rubber. will try and post some pics, but my forst atempt didn't go well, up loading an image didn't work. couple things are puzzeling me, how on earth do I get the lower faring off ( it's the fully faired S version) it's all one peice, do I have to take the front wheel out an bring it forward like that?. anyone got any hand book or info they can share please? same with forks any instructions on servicing, how to get apart, what oil/ how much. one other thing, indicators, mine hasn't got them, but the wiring is there, anyone know what make model or part number that used when they were fitted? any help gratefully recieved. thanks so far to Steve for helping me with registering info. can't believe how fantastically well made these things are, lovely thing.

Full fairing? Tops, lowers, nose cone? all one piece? Its called a "clamshell" fairing...used on lots of Bims...so that excluding mudguards, theres only 2 pieces of bodywork...flowing lines etc...

Some folk winch the headstock and front end up in the sky using a rafter in garage....I have used HD step ladders place perpendicular over the headstock...attached tie down ratchet straps to the headstock/upper yoke...and ratchet away...best of course to have the back on a paddock stand and help nearby.

Other than that...its roll out your best off-cut of carpet/mother-in-laws Persian rug onto your driveway...put a narrow sliver of wood under where the front wheel will go....push bike onto rug and onto sliver of wood (narrower than tyre width)...prop up rear end of bike...Now...remove all fairing fastenings..mirrors, disconnect indicators if you had them....some people remove front mudguard or loosen clamps...if possible...then pull fairing forward...and if theres 2 of you...it drops down onto the persain Oriental rug...then...like a clamshell...you have to prise it open to then pull forwards passing the chock of wood until its clear of the bike...so make sure the rug extends way beyond the front wheel...if you catch my drift...

Indicators?? Early BIms it was an open...same with mirrors...so anything "period" looking will do...these look nice...have that retro chrome look with round orange lenses...yet are on a flexible stalk...I tend to buy stuff from Italy...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141952004199?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the spare parts booklet...helpful when stripping a bike

http://www.sfogliami.it/flip.asp?sc=2kjhtaib9gu2zj8hejlh8q933h48kgda&ID=117604

This link and German seller is more helpful than BimotaClassicParts...as you can directly print off the Spare parts brochure

http://www.bimota-parts.de/images/PDF/SB4.pdf

Hope that helps
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...you can buy a photocopy version from BCP for 40 euros plus 15 euros postage...or just click print on the one on line at Bimota-parts.de that I listed above...BCP's price works out at around £2 a page....as its only 19 pages long...Havent found you an owners manual yet...will check the other 2 dealers

http://www.ebay.it/itm/CATALOGO-RICAMBI-BIMOTA-SB4-1100-COPY-SPARE-PARTS-CATALOGUE-ITA-ENG-/222423384659?hash=item33c9778253:g:4pMAAOSw2GlXIjVk

You can also buy an original SB4 sales brochure...its only one page A4, double sided...or I could email you a scan of one that I have

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Brochure-originale-Bimota-Bimota-SB4-/222415601368?hash=item33c900bed8:g:cBYAAOSwYudXGOEe
Ed Light

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, most helpfull, a scan of your broucher would be interesting please. the fairing is not a full clam shell, the top part and screen comes away no problem, the sides/belly is the issue, it's in one and you can't open it enough to wiggle out sideways, I'm thinking it might be along the lines you say, front up in the air and exit forwards. I'm looking to adapt an ABBA stand to fit the SB4 as they are great and will be useful going forwards. thanks again.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on the bike, getting to know it whilst waiting on the DVLA to register it getting in tune to how to work on these things, devising methods and in some cases tooling for the workshop. one task remaining is new boots for it, now it has BT45's on it front and rear which I'm OK to go with again, just wondered what anyone else fits ( good or bad experiences) to this type of Bimota ( SB4, or the HB YB or KB variants) .
will work out how to post some pictures now as I've got a few! never been into linking to a hoasting site but it seems the only way.

I've re-engineered a neat ( well I think it is) solution to indicator mounts and found some good quality, very resonably priced, indicator units . the solution is totally hidden wires, nothing shows, all internal. not sure how Bimotas own set up worked as I've never seen, but if anyone wants to know I can share what I've got now ( and before someone says " yes a picture would be great!"). fairing removal with out resorting to wheels out also sussed along with making up some adaptors to enable an ABBA Stand to fit ( they don't offer anything that fits as standard. Again if anyone needs the details, happy to share.
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the SB4 Ed,

I'd be very interested in your indicator solution.... I've been wrestling with a solution for my YB5 which uses the same frame mounted indicators as the SB4.

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon as I get a picture hosting account sorted I'll put up some pictures and drawings of whats needed.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut and shut indicators into my mirrors - the result wasn't too bad, I could do better the second time but it does clean up the fairing
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some with integrated indicators, but i'd rather have the factory mirrors..

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first go at posting a link to photobucket thingy, copied it twice, maybe one will work!
http://photobucket.com/user/jules07jb/media/bim_zpso4radjic.png.html
http://rs1160.pbsrc.com/albums/q495/jules07jb/bim_zpso4radjic.png?w=280&h=210&fit=crop
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this works? front view.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and hopefully this is a look under the bodywork.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front indicators fitted, and the parts needed to fit them.

at least this is what I came up with, could not see another way, if you to use the fairing mounts and have the wires hidden, and not drill a hole in the frame !
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful looking bike, congrats..

Where did you source your indicators?

I have similar ones in alloy, but i'd like to get some spares.

Steve

vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrads on working out the picture posting method, that has stumped a number of people.

SB looks great and that has got to be the most complicated indicator set up I have ever seen Shocked
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Ah Ha. The bike that was on sale at Mike Owens Classics yes? I was surprised it was on sale so long as it was clean original factory build (so full floaters, paioli etc). Really nice and I'm sure brings a smile to your face.

I assume you got a local contact to make up all the indicator mounting bits and pieces? Do share the detail its what makes the forum so useful.

I'm In S.Wales and not sure how many 'Bims' there are in S.West but maybe enough for a meet at some point this summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: