Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Light

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hello all, new to this forum and hope to be new to Bimota ownership soon. the period I really like is the SB4, HB3 KB3 machines is there by chance some hand guide of things to look out for when buying one? one aspect that bothers me, silly thing really is on an import bike the headlight will have an incorrect pattern, so MOT will be a problem. can you get replacements suited for Uk( guess its a standard part from something else) or is there a masking type fix that is legal?
sorry to burst in with a question! but there seems to be little out there on these fine bikes. sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ed...to the land of Bimota questions and answers...you've started in the right place.
Headlights on the era of Motorbikes you are talking about wouldn't be a problem come MOT time...as those bikes are all over ten years old then you are allowed to place deflecter tape on the lens if the headlight kicks up the wrong way....or if you have a friendly MOT man then he may turn a blind eye....Only on newer bikes less than ten years old is it a requirement for the VOSA single motorcycle approval tests to have a proper Uk headlight without taped mods....they also insist on MPH speedos...but again after 10 years old KPH speedos are fine.

Any bike bought from Europe main land can be quite easily registered in the UK...it helps if it still has a previous registration from that country that then proves tax on first purchase has been made in the EU at some time...thus no tax to pay in the UK upon importing....Then its a case of insuring the bike on the frame number for 30 day cover note, get it MOT'd and then apply for a V5 with the documents....quite simple really. Evidently if buying a UK model then its easier.....Bimota didn't always bother with a MPH speedo on early bikes....the DB1 of 1986 came with a kph speedo only....and even though a Ducati engine...headlight was off a Yamaha FJ1200....DB2...came with a Yamaha FZR400RR unit...it all depends on which bike you end up with....then ask the questions you may need.

THings to look out for? Depends if you want a rider or an exhibit....either way make sure its complete....items like footpegs foot gear and foot brake gear levers are now unobtainable....clip-ons also.....other items like wheels are rare...but suspension is usually Forcella or Marzocchi and seals and the like are still available...always brembo brakes so they are easy to get used or NOS....Bodywork...make sure its all there

For reference points check out motorcycle specs...it lists every Bimota with specs, library pictures and test reviews from UK magazines at the time

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/bimota.htm

You can also look on here at the only historic register for BImotas currently owned throughout the world....some people post for sales on here...but if theres a photo icon, you can at least look at their bikes

Frame numbers are listed above also...and can be trusted for the early Bimotas.

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_kb_en.html

If you need help in locating a bike, if interested in buying from Europe just give me a shout...plenty of good websites out there I could share
Ed Light

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks for that info, kind put my mind at rest a bit, I'm defo after a rider, to many are not used and it's always been my ambition to own AND ride one, Im close so should soon be there. for sure that's when the questions and adventure starts!
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ed. Good luck with the search. Keep us informed
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Ed Light

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it will be an SB4s and hopefully within the next couple of weeks! exited doesn't even get close to covering it. of the older Bimotas it's my fav. thanks for the responses so far hope we can exchange most once the deal is done.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to hearing some good news and seeing some awesome pics Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the mad house Ed.

I must warn you that with the first purchase you will cross a line into a parallel dimension were lovely hand made machinery will take over your life and you will be searching for your next fix/purchase . Few dare to enter and no-one EVER leaves !!!!! Twisted Evil
Very Happy Wink
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and beware. I only entered the believers a couple of years ago and it IS consuming once you cross the line!! There are a couple of SB4s in UK for sale. You defo buying inform Europe? More to choose from but £/€ slide over last 18 months is a bit of a bummer.

Anyway hope you finalise a purchase and look forward to seeing pictures (must have pictures!!) here.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arr Zumerzet - I remember going down to Priddy as a kid
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ed,

good luck in finding your dream Bimota, as has been mentioned, we must have pics Smile

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, nearly there with my SB4, just one thing is giving me grief, its from italy, NOVA has been done, it's now got a UK MOT, but I'm stuggling with the DVLA forms to register it. seems to keep asking me for a certificate of conformity for it, how on earth do I get one of them for something from back in 1984! none of the sites I can find that supply these things list Bimota as someone who they can supply one for. anyone help me out? anyone got a C.O.C for an SB4? or know if I actually need one. puzzed by the forms Sad
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't need a COC for SB4, only stuff upto 10 years old.
Do you have Italian reg doc? If you registering as an 84 B-reg old reg /mot and insurance is about it.
Although I have heard the DVLA have out sourced registration work and some-one els eon here struggling with COC , but that is for newer bike.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the day has come and it's finally arrived! I now have a beautiful SB4S, all complete and very original. I am very happy. need to do an amount of recommisioning as it's been in store for a while, carbs, clean an balance, brake and fork fluid changes engine oil and filter, plus some new rubber. will try and post some pics, but my forst atempt didn't go well, up loading an image didn't work. couple things are puzzeling me, how on earth do I get the lower faring off ( it's the fully faired S version) it's all one peice, do I have to take the front wheel out an bring it forward like that?. anyone got any hand book or info they can share please? same with forks any instructions on servicing, how to get apart, what oil/ how much. one other thing, indicators, mine hasn't got them, but the wiring is there, anyone know what make model or part number that used when they were fitted? any help gratefully recieved. thanks so far to Steve for helping me with registering info. can't believe how fantastically well made these things are, lovely thing.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats... Need some pics Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: