Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7 Oronero won't rev
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: DB7 Oronero won't rev Reply with quote

Hi, my db7 is reluctant to start and won't rev above 2000 !
fitted new battery, battery leads, spark plugs, fuel pump, stick coils.
can anybody advise ?
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe take it to a Ducati dealership. Maybe they could do a diagnostics check?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
mick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Brian, I think your right although I was hoping you would say its a 10 amp fuse hidden somewhere.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick....I'll try to be helpful...as I always do....but also may bear bad news sometimes.....Ducati dealers software and hardware wont touch the ECU's on a DB7...as its a Walbro unit not used by Ducati boys or bikes.....Software and leads are available, although I'm not sure which country you reside in to help much further...as some countries have the leads and software (Bimota dealers that is) Ducati dealers do not....Ducati did change to fly by wire throttles as some stage rather than cable driven throttle linkages....so this could be a start pint...bad connection...bad wiring on throttle connection to fuel injection/ECU....As your bike has the same engine as the Ducati 1098...you could phone around Ducati dealers and discuss the problem on this basis...is it fly by wire throttle?...I have some good friends that are Ducati trained mechanics on the new stuff like 1098 etc etc...so will ask them about your problem as it maybe something that's commonly found on 1098 Ducs etc...next time I'm dropping in...next week...I will explain your issue and ask for advice...when you say bad at starting could you expand further?...which country helps as I also know then what the temperature is where you are for the time of the year etc etc...Ducati Engines and electrics hate cold and damp....

There are 2 types of Walbro units used....black box ECUC stamped and used on Bimota DB5, DB6 (later models) and Tesi3D...yours should have a Walbro ECUG black box under the RHS fairing panel.....as the Bimota ECU software is either for one unit or the other....and a special lead is also needed...and then a laptop with Windows XP is needed...instruction manual says XP or later...but Oh no...Later is no good..has to sole dedicated XP and no newer.....Has the problem suddenly appeared or been getting worse? any words will help me to help you by asking the Ducati boys that know and face these issues daily...I have 5 Ducati mechanics to ask...and all they require for the "pain in the A Bimota nut" that pesters them is a plentiful supply of biscuits that I sporadically supply to them via the back-door
mick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2 Bims, I live in the Peak District not far from you, we have met at J&S I was riding my DB6 !
The DB7 has always been reluctant to start from cold and has been getting progressively worse, so I started in this order with a new battery, battery leads,plugs,fuel pump and finally coils but to no avail, It turned out to be a lazy starter motor.
It now turns the engine over much faster it fired straight away but didn't start until four attempts (starts first touch when warm) but won't rev above 2000.
It does have throttle cables, I have a friend who has the software for a db7 oronero but no lead so tomorrow I am going to telephone the company to see if a lead is available.
Thank you very much for your response and appreciate any help or advice.
P.s the bike is 2011 and has done 3500 miles.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...Youre that Mick...DB6 with carbon wheels and bits...also a Vdue in the Garage...owns a pub????

Check if he has the right software...as there are 2 types...difeerent programs....I have both sets...but only really transferable via a CD-rom or memory stick...not that its big meg...but folders under folders under folders...and has to be all in the right order....I also have the cable and step by step guide to make a cable using a Ducati stock fuel sender connecter which is the connecter female end that Bimota fit to their DB7...An Oro Nero eh?? that's a recent addition I didn't know you had also???

I'll still ask the question of the boys at Ducati Manchester re 1098 issues etc etc

Please by all accounts, phone the company....I hope for you...but with little hope...not good news....even dealers are running out or have run out of the leads already.....
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB6, Vdue AND a pub. Now we're really envious.
mick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that until I decided to improve the poor starting the bike ran perfect !!!! Embarassed
mick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you know the guy who owns the software its Ian Carson (speedycom)
The equipment is made by Texa based in Nelson.
I have owned the oronero for 3yrs I bought it from Italy, I also own a DBX which I bought 12mths ago.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all new to me Mick...and interesting to hear...I bought my cable and software initially for my DB6R and DB5R...bought from Armin Schneider of DRT-Schneider in Germany...a former Bimota dealer...who got the products from Bimota factory...then...when I had a problem with my DB7...poor running, over rich this and that on different cylinders....bike had had cat removed and baffles from end can....chequered pre-history...I tried the software to ecu...no luck....back to Armin via email...DB7 he says??? Yeh...different Walbro...you need different software...so more monies to Germany......but at least he had the stuff...he still has the software...sends out on discs...but hes ran out of the cables.

Let me know about speedycom...that would be useful...DBX....think I've seen that at CMC chesterfield haven't I??? Very nice indeed....different ECu afain though...they've got Pegasus or is it Athena????

YOu wouldn't be interested in joining the BImotaForum to display at the Manchester Bike Show at Event City would you? We go each year...and have done 5 years running...We currently have DB1 through to DB10 lined up to show and maybe a DB11...DBX would be the only one missing from our potential line up...Evidently we have 4 or 5 YB's promised also....SB6, Vdue...2 Tesis, Vyrus....and a few other hopefuls...trying to get over 20 bimotas down there for the weekend....???

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4915&start=0

I'm PASSING by Ducati Manchester tomorrow so will appraise them of what you've further explained now and see if its been an issue with their Ducati 1098's....
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo Mick...let me know about cable software etc...paid a visit to Duc Mcr today and borrowed over 150 years of Ducati collective knowledge from 3 service technicians, One parts man and Service managers...a snip at £3.99 for 12 iced Danish pastries from Costco...yum yum...(have proof of purchase and boys chowing down on camera phone...teehee)

Starter motor first....Yup....ALL Ducatis in 2011/2012 had a run of Bad batch of starter motors...same starter is used on all bikes....if they connected a large car battery to the bike battery and it started...they knew it was a sluggish starter from the bad batch...if just using a fully charged brand new Yuasa standard fitment bike battery and it wouldn't start or was sluggish...then yeh...bad batch....Replaced under Warranty FOC by Ducati IF it was picked up by an Owner within the 3 year warranty period...No recall was done...and no mention of what was wrong ever written...item was non-serviceable...and deemed throw away...Even Ducati in Italy didn't want them back...just replace and throw away old one....

OK...revving only to 2K........

Only Caveat here is that evidently Bimota use Walbro ECU's and their own Fuel injection system....When you replaced the starter motor...you had to pull off the LHS crankcase cover...as one of the fixing bolts for the starter motor is nicely hidden inside the engine halves, swimming away in oil...other 2 bolts are outside fixed.

There is a Throttle position sensor on the LHS crankcase cover...with a right angled cable exiting at the top....its fixed with one allen headed bolt that screws through a shim locking plate...with 2 No "o" rings beneath it into the crankcase cover.....OR....as the ducati microfiches are unclear...believe me...I spent 2 hours down there....It fixes into the crankcase half just beyond the crankcase cover top side...on the LHS...black cased cable exiting through it.

This throttle position sensor...or "sensor timing and rpm sensor" as ducati call it...is UBER critical as regards the air gap between the base of it that protrudes into crankcase and the spinning crank...sending messages of spinning...RPM...to the ECU...stopping the ECU over reving the engine...if it has swarf on it...it messes with the revving ability...if the air gap is too wide....it reduces the revving ability....is the shim there still? Is it tightened down properly? Are the 2 No. O rings in place....as that affects the gap...is one dropped in vertically and not lying flat????..Is the cable broken, damaged??? Still plugged in? Or...has it just broken down over time and now not working at all??? Part number is 55240201Alpha....cost is £70.75 plus vat if you don't receive Ducati loyalty discount...

Thing is though....Walbro ECU....has it picked up this is broke, not working properly?...been disconnected? and is storing an error code and has limited itself to only rev to 2,000? Can you reset the ECU by unplugging and reconnecting...evidently with correct program and cable and software you can flash the ECU and search for error codes...if you have a mate with a 1098...or even multistrade...unit is same but in different location...One clip to undo and one bolt to try one from another bike.........

Very long winded, but hopefully clear..and more hopefully..maybe a potential cure?? Best of BRitish...
mick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims, What an amazing response thanks !
Obviously replacing the starter motor was a good move, I hope your right about the throttle position sensor, it certainly makes sense as this is the only thing I have disturbed I hope. I will now go and inspect and obviously let you know.
With the help of Ian Carson the cable is in the post. They list several Bimota's on their website including the Oronero which I think is different than the DB7, I am keeping my fingers crossed its the right one as Ian has the software.
I do have a lead to fit the bike to a laptop but I don't have the software.
Once again thank you.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries MIck...me names Steve by the way....2bims coz my indoctrination into the brand came by way of buying 2 Bimotas at the same time from a very nice chappie in London...he'd owned them for 15 years and went to work in Portugal for 6 months...but didn't return until 8 years later...Meanwhile his poor bims had sat neglected on their side stands in an underground car Park at his parent block of flats in Knightsbridge, no locks on them...no covers and tanks fully stoked with rotting fuel...flat tyres and pushing them up a scaffold plank into a MEcercedes sprinter was some mean task....

Helping fellow owners is all part of Bimota ownership....coz Lawd only knows we need help!!!.....

Good set of lads at DUC Mcr...I feel I owe them as it was me taking Bims down there to tease the Ducati owners as to what they should have bought if they hadn't followed the crowd, that enticed one of their sister shops, DMC of preston...to become a Bimota Dealer...only one in the UK at the time......One year later....fingers burnt several times over...they cut themselves free....they do like to tinker with my toys though...takes the humdrum out of their lives that would be solely working on Ducs....

The lead should have another lead on it with a cap...this is for feeding into different programs into whilst connected to the bike...maps etc....the cap should be left off...Or On...I forget now...have photos of the lead if you are interested....if a problem with the program also let me know...pretty sure the same Walbro as standard DB7...albeit the rest of the Oro Nero is far from the same...and you will have to forgive me as I've never seen one in the flesh....

If interested in coming to the bike show then let me know...even just driving down to have a look around and a natter..as I should have some ahemfreebie tickets.........We are hoping for 20+ bimotas down, under cover and in the dry at the show for the weekend...March...end of...if you aren't snowed in that is...the whole Show/Event is in a secure dry, heated and lit building....we wouldn't do the show otherwise

For anyone else interested in Speedycom.co.uk...they seem to be having a clearance on Zard exhausts for Bimotas...even "make me an offer"

https://www.speedycom.co.uk/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

I cant find a link to cables or software yet though Mick....Any chance you can cut and paste a link in? Or is it telephone dem boys and chat...oh the days eh? Its good to talk.......
mick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, the cable arrived today and although it was listed as Db7 Oronero it looks to me as though it will only fit the Db7. My bike has a Get computer on it and has a 5 point co-axial style cable connector so we will check with Texa tomorrow, I will send photo's.

Texa navigator TXB is the equipment that Ian has, I think you have to log on to Texa website to gain access ?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is what they sent a flat black connecter female end with 4 pins in a line? Same as a Ducati fuel sender connecter?

Always an issue with Bimotas...they change bits from not just bike to bike but also on same models...depends what they had lying around at the time..makes it a nightmare for suppliers...

Lots of suppliers out there that think that items will be standard if from a Ducati that supplied the engine...I've lost count how many people log on here moaning they've been sold the wrong front sprocket for their DB...and that their chain alignment is WAY out....

Cheers for the texa info...I went onto site and as you say...you need to be logged on....

If you could post a picture of what you have...I'd happily confirm one way or the other what you have...if for a standard DB7..it would also work with DB5, DB6, DB7, DB8, DB9 and DB10...so a fair few people would be interested to know where to get one from....

Have you the software yet? Do you know what ECU you have? Or is it built into the dash display unit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: