Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

1993 yb8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwirider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: 1993 yb8 Reply with quote

Hi i am new to this site i have just got a yb8 done 3000ks from new with no manual can someone please tell me do i check the oil level on the side stand or when the bike is level.And not to sound dumb i need to take the fairing off to remove the forks i have leaking seals the fairing has a split in the bottom i am guessing when i undo the fasteners it spreads at the bottom to clear the front wheel? The other problem is the bike got delivered in a van yesterday the first time Ive seen it and when i moved it the right hand caliper was hitting the rim spokes.I loosen off the two lower fork bolts that clamp the axle and that gave me the clearance back because the is no spacer on the Rh side what is the correct procedure to get the clearance thanks Graham Rolling Eyes
rpo83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome kiwi,

check the oil when the bike is level.

Are you sure you have to remove the fairing? I'd assume you could get an allen key to the triple clamps, and slide the fork legs out, but i don't have a YB8..

Can't help you with the spacer, but i'm sure someone will be along soon to provide help...

Welcome, and congrats on your new Bimota Smile

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: YB8 Reply with quote

Is the speedo drive in the left hand side of the wheel. Is it an Oscam wheel? Are they brembo callipers? Are they Marzocchi M1R forks, with the anti-dive valve on the right hand leg, or Paiolis? With only 3,000 kms, it sounds like it might have been non-functioning for a fair chunk of its life.

You do really need to get the fairing off to get the forks out, as there's not a great deal of clearance at the triple clamp bolts. Ideally you need to pick up the front end of the bike to get the fairing off. If you don't have a block and tackle fitted in your man cave, a folding engine hoist is a useful thing to have. Once you've loosened the quarter-turn fasteners which hold the two sides together and removed the single bolt that holds the fairing to a bracket hanging off the motor spindle, jam a piece of wood in to hold the two halves apart and then slide it past the forks. Once I've got mine suspended, I tend to take the front wheel and mudguard off, to aid fairing removal.

If you've got the Marzocchis, you need a special tool to get the fork tops off. I modified a basin wrench to do the job.

The bike's a pig to work on, but well worth it once it's back on the road.

Good luck.
kiwirider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's yes they are morzocchi forks and brembo callipers the speedo drive is on the left hand side and sorry i don't know what type wheel it is.The bike is over full with oil then i will change it while i have it a part and yes very low ks its been in a guys lounge and was imported from japan done 300ks
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over full with OIL???//...That's a good sign...some folk drain bikes of all oil and fuel when storing in the house as a display unit....but seals and bearings etc dry out...its recommended to store...if for years and years...with the crankcase Full to overflowing to keep moist all the engine bottom end..that is if they aren't turning the motor over from time to time....

Fairing removal...for one piece fairings....I usually remove the front mudguard....place the bike on a rear pop-up stand...with a narrow flat piece of wood under the front wheel to lift it slightly...with the whole bike on a piece of carpet or such...running forward of the front wheel..and then with all fasteners and mirrors removed....drop the fairing to the ground pulling forward...and with the aid of another person...prise the fairing apart at the bottom like opening a clamshell....hence why its called a clamshell one piece fairing...pull it forward, past the sliver of wood under the front wheel...youdo kind of have to be a bit brutal....or else it wont pull off...without using the "lift front end up in the air" removal method....Check for clearance with the screen and clocks...as it has to come down somewhat...What we really need is pictures.... and I'll upload them...front back, sides...forks etc etc...and we can help so much more.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: