Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB9 SRI - runs poorly when cold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eLo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: YB9 SRI - runs poorly when cold Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm in the prosess of making a YB9SRI ready for the road again after several years under a dust cover. When I try to start it, it doesn't respond to the throttle. I have to start it over and over again until it reaches some sort of temperature. Then it at least runs, if ever so roughly. It smells gasoline - a lot. No leaks, new plugs, valve timing correct, fuel pump works as it should.
Any suggestions?
eLO
Planter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your choke circuit or pilot jets are blocked.

If old fuel was left in the tank this should be removed and clean fuel used.

If this does not help/not required then all things being equal I would suggest the carbs need stripping down and cleaning used compressed air and carb cleaning solvent to get the jets and passages clear. Ideal is ultra-sonic cleaning if you have access to one.

Might be worth checking the fuel lines for degradation as well as the inside of your tank (if plastic). Ethanol in this country has bad effect on some fuel hoses and plastics causing blockages. Lower probability of causing your problem but worth consideration. (the inside of my Bellaria tank that had stood for several years reacted badly to fresh petrol. Took a couple of litres to wash it out and get ride of a plastic like gunk. Same type of tank on the Dieci but have had no trouble with that)

Would also check coils (resistance check) and rectifier if cleaning carbs does not help. It took replacement of the rectifier on my YB9 Bellaria to get the thing to run, but would suggest if the bike was running when put in to storage then this has a low probability of causing your problem.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: YB9 SRI Reply with quote

Planter, I think we're talking that new fandangle, fuel injection, here - the devil's own work and no mistake!
Planter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the 'i' in SRI is the give away....
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
Planter

Planter

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I guess the injection system sounds like it might be the cause, the Thundercat engine can stretch it's valves. Cold starting like you've described is a classic symptom of this.

When it's cold squirt some carb cleaner down the sniffing end and see if starts up - if it does then it's fuel if not it could be plugs (depending when you last did them) after that check the valve tolerances. I don't use iridium plugs, they have a tendency to foul in some engines
eLo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far!
I'll check out the carb cleaner tip tomorrow. Furthermore - there are irridium spak plugs so that will on the list as well. The valve clerances are spot on, so hopefully no mistakes there.
I'll get back with an update afterwards!
brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an idea to have a real good look at rubber components too if it's been sitting a long time. Carb boots, fuel lines, vacuum hoses etc. also check and clean all ground connections and plug connections
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: