Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Signals not working on DB6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Signals not working on DB6 Reply with quote

So I think I drifted on another topic and mentioned the dim lights and signal issues that just cropped up on the DB6. 2bims responded re: checking all chassis ground (earth) connections but that did not prove to be a fruitful search.

I pulled the carbon gauge cover off and discovered that the wiring was a bit of a mess as far as coiled or folded neatly. The threaded inserts had also come loose as well as the smal foam insulation. I glued these and set about checking the connections.

They are all soldered and heat shrunk but occasionally when I wiggled the loom, the left front signal came on. Not flashing, just a momentary illumination.

I don't think it is a connection and I also tested the leads into and out of the signal relay. All were good.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the signal switch is activated (either direction), the relay sort-of clicks but appears muted. It never gets the signals working so could it be bad?

If so, who has one that would be an ideal substitute? Are they the same as a car signal relay?

I was hoping to borrow my son's relay off his 1198 but I think it requires airbox removal so no thanks.

I will check the grounds again this weekend as well as try a substitute relay but I am stumped. The signal indicators on my electronic dash also don't display so is this a function on the dash or the relay?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever taken off the rear Numberplate assembly/numberplate light and rear indicator mount assembly?////

Take the pillion seat hump off and remove the tiny "compartment"....The cabling for the rear light unit is all tucked up with connecters into a "slot" on the rear hanger assembly...BUT....it is open to all the elements of crud and much that can be thrown up by the back wheel....maybe you have poor connections, corroded, cables etc etc...as it sounds like poor connectivity causing your issue....Just having one bulb out or one connecter bad causes all 4 indicators to go array.....like when a bulb is blown...everything is connected in series...so one bad connection and rear light...which should always be on for new regs...together with front light...could be causing your issue....clocks shouldn't be an issue...nor connecters under the clocks/headlight as these for a Bimota are quite well protected...I'd be tracing the wires and checking under the seat...between the pipes etc...basically from the back of the tank to the rear end of the bike..as its all open to the elements...and the rear "hugger"...well...its just there for show really isn't it
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. The one place I haven't looked yet. I will do this this weekend as it was interesting riding in heavy So Cal traffic the other day without signals.

I will check and clean all connections then pack with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Interesting what you say about one bad connection making all go south. It shouldn't do that...but then it is Italian. Rolling Eyes
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Have you ever taken off the rear Numberplate assembly/numberplate light and rear indicator mount assembly?////

Take the pillion seat hump off and remove the tiny "compartment"....The cabling for the rear light unit is all tucked up with connecters into a "slot" on the rear hanger assembly...BUT....it is open to all the elements of crud and much that can be thrown up by the back wheel....maybe you have poor connections, corroded, cables etc etc...as it sounds like poor connectivity causing your issue....Just having one bulb out or one connecter bad causes all 4 indicators to go array.....like when a bulb is blown...everything is connected in series...so one bad connection and rear light...which should always be on for new regs...together with front light...could be causing your issue....clocks shouldn't be an issue...nor connecters under the clocks/headlight as these for a Bimota are quite well protected...I'd be tracing the wires and checking under the seat...between the pipes etc...basically from the back of the tank to the rear end of the bike..as its all open to the elements...and the rear "hugger"...well...its just there for show really isn't it

I'll be attacking this stuff this weekend as I am presently stripping the DB6 to chase what appear to be some minor oil leaks as well as figure out WTH happened to my turn signals. Nothing works. No dash indication, nothing from the signals although I can hear the relay.

It might be a ground but either way, she needs a thorough going over. I picked up some soapy parts solvent and auto wash so will be going through it in short order.

I also noticed that the belly pan on the side stand side has some chunks out of it due to side stand interference and crappy design. I may either fix and reinforce it or may modify it a bit with my Dremel.

Re: the side stand, does anyone know of a suitable replacement? Mine appears to be welded steel with a welded "kink" that allows the bike to lean waaaayyyy over on the stand. Also, what is the best length for stability as I may purchase an aftermarket aluminum stand that is close and modify it. See this site for reference:

http://www.motosport.com/psr-adjustable-kickstand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: