Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB5 finds new home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: YB5 finds new home Reply with quote

Last week Chas Mortimer delivered a late birthday present to myself, a 1990 YB5. A one owner machine originally from Germany, I discovered it for sale at a dealer in Spain, thank God for Google Translate. It is non-standard in a number of areas, not least the paint job, which the dealer had made a start on returning it to the standard livery. It has had 17" Bimota Oscom wheels fitted, an un-identified (so far) dash panel. The airbox is missing, and though I hadn't noticed it the time, it is fitted with Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs (thanks Ralph). There are some electrical issues regarding the lighting, I hope the loom hasn't been chopped about too much. Not removed the fairing yet to investigate further, need to swap with the DB1 onto my bike-lift, save my old aching bones Laughing
Apart from the above, it appears to be in good order, not sure how long before it is road ready, the biggest job will be the paint, and I know how long that took on the DB1, and how much it cost Shocked

rpo83

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Paul,

I'm sure you'll have her looking fantastic in no time at all.

Have you planned what you will do about the wheels, keep them or look for some 18's?? And what about the induction, will you be keeping the smoothbores or going back to stock?

I'd like to see how your throttle cable is run, mine run across the headstock down central under the tank, the problem is they catch on the ignition barrel, my new one on the way looks to have the same issue as the previous owner had cable tied them to the top triple clamp, and i've seen other tied to brake likes!

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels are likely to stay, but I will keep a look out for 18", preferably the sexy Marvic/Akront composites.

With the carbs I will probably stick with the smoothbores. I keep hearing that the standard FJ1200 carbs don't work too well without an air-box and finding a complete YB5 air-box could be a tad difficult.

I'll let you know about the throttle cable runs.

Rider fit is still a bit of an issue for me, though it is less extreme than my other Bimotas. Still a problem getting my legs lifted onto the pegs, a combination of an arthritic knee, being slightly(?) overweight and general lack of fitness and flexibility. Going to have to hit the gym again and cut down on the comfort food Laughing
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a good base Paul, keep at it
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stockcar
DB1 860

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the standard airbox has 85mm rubber tubes running to each carb, that could have something to do with helping the carbs to work.

The only problem is the oil vapour hose tends to get squashed by the air box where it comes off the crankcase.

The bike underneath the seat fairing looks quite tidy and the wheels don't look out of place, wouldn't mind a set myself, they maybe DB2, YB4?

I cant believe how many YB5s have been for sale in the last couple of months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: