Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8K buying tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie RS

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: SB8K buying tips Reply with quote

Hi all, first time poster Very Happy , thinking of looking into a SB8K, is there anything out of the odinary i should be looking for when researching a SB8K? is there much difference between the originals and the later produced K (setting aside the sant Monica model) ?

anyone know is theres any for sale anywhere?
Good to see a bimota forum alive these days Smile
oily

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Wink '
Fraid I can't help with your questions, I was expecting reply's to your questions from the few SB8 members we have on here but they're obviously busy Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask if the bike has had a power comander fitted, they're horibly overfueled if they haven't.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been meaning to respond to this for a few days now !
Both the K and the 8R are great bikes, I have had both over the last 4 years, the K for 2 years and the 8RS for about 15 months. They have both been my main mode of transport, along with a faithful YB11 when the salt gets too much.

The SB8K improves a few minor things about the SB8r - battery easier to get too, much bigger radiators. tank slimmer, low down running much better on a good day. More modern instruments. The Santa M has nice mono calipers, the Gobert Rep has brembo goldline.

The k has the shower injectors with the variable angle and not as wide intake. The k is much harder to set up though. When its on form it seems to be friendlier to ride than that 8R. When its off form its really off!

Suffered a lot on my K due to the TPS. Thought it was the 'race tuning' and fitted a Power Commander but it just made things worse including bringing up the injector fault light most of the time. Eventually got fed up and traced problem to a corroded TPS molex connector then chucked away the Power Commander - which cost me over a grand to get fitted and 'set up'. A key thing to know about the TPS is that it works opposite to most TPS. Usually low throttle opening means small voltage change and high throttle opening means high voltage changes, but on the K a closed throttle voltage changes very fast for small twists - this means that if the TPS is set at the wrong reference point, the voltage difference is big and you're using the wrong part of the map and the mixture is way too rich or lean.

The other prob I had was water temp readings. The sensor is high on the rad and if the water level is low, it does not register the right temperature and in the winter <5c the injectors runs rich as the sensor still shows a cold temperature when the engine block is warm.

The problems with the TPS and water temp sensor caused lots of fouled spark plugs I have a collection of about 20 now all of which came from the K. I have not had to muck about with the 8R plugs at all in 6k miles. I tried several exotic plugs in the SB8K including iridium but nothing really did the job, on my bike the fuel pressure was very high at 50-60psi and whilst ok at higher revs it just did not seem to suit the low rpm running. Fitting a fuel pressure regulator is the current plan to cure.

The 8K is strangely constructed by japan standards - the carbon air box is not air tight at all it sucks all sorts of objects in through cable glands and gaps. I would often find leaves and large bits of git at the bottom of the air box. Tried sealing it off, but was always worried that the improvised seals come off and would get sucked into the big open bellmouths. The other annoying problem I had with the K was both front lights came on with the ignition and then it always claimed "low battery" when you started it up. This message wou;d stay on the "intelligent display" until you switched ignition off and on again.

Ignoring the problems - all bikes have them don't they? Both the 8K and and the 8R are superb bikes in my opinion - the R is probably best for everyday use - having said that I used the K for everyday use and got by. The K is harder to keep below 150 (track use) and feels great and smooth at these speeds. The 8R seems to be working hard at these speeds. The K accelerates quite effortlessly even at 150. Its a tall riding position and it feels great.

It probably is worth mentioning that the problems I had with the TPS and water temperature eventually took their toll. The arrow silencers got clogged with some soot and one of them caught fire after few too many backfires on a very cold day and that set fire to the whole rear of the bike. I am waiting for parts from Bimota a year on. You can check out my thread in wanted parts. Don't be put off, not many nuts out there commute through the year 2 years running on an SB8K so I am sure that was a fluke which will never be repeated!

My advice if can get one, buy an SB8K - get the TPS set EXACTLY, get the variable angle shower injectors set properly - (if in doubt just set them up high vertically and centrally and lock them into place!). Make sure the rad is full to the right level. Always carry spare plugs and a spanner. If you get lots of problems with misfires etc - check out your silencers - remove and wash out if necessary in case they are sooting up.

All the best
Zombie

Last edited by zombie on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlsb8

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new SB8K and used SB8S for sale. I bought both new and am original owner. Selling my DB7 as well. Would love to keep them, but need to pay some bills.
jlsb8

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention my SB8K is the Santa Monica version
Muzza

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aussie,
There is a 99 SB8R for sale at Causeway Kawasaki in Victoria Park, Perth. The bike is listed on www.bikepoint.com.au.
I had a look at the bike about 18 months ago and it looks very tidy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: