Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Gilera CX125s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head for the hills. The CX has been on the dyno.

Very Happy

Last edited by Weed on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
trev45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beast is alive , sing little birdie

Cheers Trev
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on with that dip up the top end?
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2 stroke is the most logical explanation I've been given so far. Smile

We dropped the needle 1 notch for the blue run as she was running rich, but I didn't have any other main jets to try. That's the next plan
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
It's a 2 stroke is the most logical explanation I've been given so far. Smile

Sounds about right! Do they have a powerjet circuit or a powervalve that cuts in at the top?
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate. The power valve comes in at about 8K revs. Nothing fancy just a straight solenoid activation that gives you all or nothing.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The 2nd kick at around 11k is noticeable when riding it.

The power valve is quite a nice system. It is a bit like a cross between the Yamaha YPVS system used on the RD350 and the like, and the Honda ATAC system. Is is a barrel that rotates, lowering or raising the exhaust port. But when it is in the closed / low revs position the cutout in the rotating barrel has rotated enough to uncover a chamber above the exhaust port.

All the best

Katy
Weed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Katy, it is a fun bike
Cheers
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNIT 5 Motos (That 2 Bims sourced his DT125R from) imported a blue CX125 from France back in Jan. Don't know if it was sourced to order but obviously they have their contacts!!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That one has been on Ebay. Quite low mileage

Katy
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Some might remember the CX rolling chassis at the Manchester bike show last year.

I have had a few plays with it since. I stuck and engine in it, and a few other bits:-

Decided to have a bit more of a play.

I have put a wiring loom on it. The loom is a bit of a mess having been badly chopped around by a previous owner. Often it seems for no apparent reason (eg, they cut the wires to the regulator / rectifier about 6" from the end, and they are just individual spade connectors so no reason to chop them off). I have had a bit of a session repairing the loom. Now fitted. My aim is to have the dash lights working, and maybe get the bike to start and run. Never going back on the road so not worried about it being reliable to ride.

I do have a better loom, but don't want to waste a good loom on this chassis!

One of the bits cut off was the connectors for the l/h switchgear (replaced with chocolate block connectors). Fortunately they used standard Molex connectors so relatively easily sourced.

Connected a battery up crudely and with a bit of fiddling most of the dashboard lights came on. Petrol level light turns on / off when that sensor is shorted out / not shorted out. Same for the oil warning level.

Connectors to the dashboard are a bit dodgy and not sure where to source those from.

However the rear right hand indicator wouldn't work. Turns out to be a broken wire in the loom. Ordered some wire of the right colour and will solder that in, then tape the loom up again.

Also had a session bleeding the front brake through. This was stripped and painted for the show last year, but I never put any fluid in it. Fluid now added and it works. Bit of a pain to do the brakes. The fluid reservoir is tiny, and you can barely get at the caliper with the wheel in place (you cannot remove the caliper without removing the front wheel first). But at least having a working brake makes it easier to stop when pushing it around.

I do need to sort out the front bracket that hold the clocks. I have this chassis plus another (which will go back on the road) and I have 3 spare brackets for the clocks, but all 3 are a mess (one very badly welded when repaired, and 2 bent, one very badly and the other which seems to want to brake rather than bend back to shape). Might speak to the guy who welded a couple of brackets on the frame last year and see what he can do.

Getting there.

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
UNIT 5 Motos (That 2 Bims sourced his DT125R from) imported a blue CX125 from France back in Jan. Don't know if it was sourced to order but obviously they have their contacts!!

still for sale....theyre asking a lot for it...sure its rare...but so are spares and knowledge to sort it....frightens people more than a Bimota front sprocket change
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the dash working Katy....me likes pretty lights....if PS facebook folk cant help with the connecter....lawd knows who can.....Found my DB1 indicators yet??? You were my last hope in identifying a donor model/manufacturer....
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some bits are easy enough (rear indicators), some a nightmare (bodywork is very difficult unless you want GRP copies, and even then the postage from the USA is not cheap). Engine not bad.

They are a complete git to work on as just about anything requires removing the bodywork (ALL the bodywork), and it is not easy to remove.

The one at Unit 5 is up for £2895, but isn't registered and needs a tidy up.

Suspect the electrical connectors are common in some automotive circles. Probably shared with some Italian cars. I have a sent a message to a friend who works for a company making automotive connectors. If I am lucky he will recognise them.

With luck will spot the indicators, but I am not holding my breath.

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now down to £2695......methinks still pricey though for possible untold horrors beneath

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273125926570?ul_noapp=true

Unit 5 do take offers on their bikes....but I'd be offering a grand at best....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: