Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7-11 VLX MULE resurrection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still cannot get the hang of these damn buttons! I submit when I should be previewing....Ho Hum

Anyway back to the tales of woe.

The Bimota DB7-11 VLX MULE is being rewired and fitted with a MotoGadget control unit which in turn does away with the ignition key.

The bike ignition is activated via a fob held to the receiver, which is mounted in the old ignition switch position.

IMG_0747 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

From MotoGadget sketches I have machined up a replacement ignition switch thingy to house the receiver....here's hoping it works!

IMG_0747 - Copy by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Once the ignition side was complete I could turn to finally fixing the fairing bracket and sizing off the attaching components...mainly the tank.

The Fuel tank could be finally positioned, supported and secured.

IMG_0689 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

A section of 10mm thick alloy with some extra supports as the tank sits 10mm higher than standard...also some foam pads were added to the inside of the frame

IMG_0688 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

These modifications in turn, allowed the seat positioning to be completed

IMG_0740 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

I had decided to incorporate a Suburu fuel pump and extra volume fuel filter. These are mounted in their respective cradles and fixed to the seat unit subframe.

IMG_0741 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Well away from the heat of the exhaust but still downward from a gravity point of view from the fuel tank.

The elastic bands will be replaced with HOOVER belts as the thing progresses.

Two 1/4 inch BSP fittings one supplies and the other returns fuel from the tank via thermal protected hoses.

The overhead drive belt assembly has had a return edge added and vent holes introduced to assist in cooling the Ducati belts as fitted.

This unit will be powder coated satin black with S/Steel mesh bonded to the inside of the cover.....I had planned this return edge, from the very start of the fabrication and it is why there was a step in the profile of the belt cover.

IMG_0743 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_0744 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Here you can see the step..........the weld has yet to be dressed

IMG_0742 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

So with this done....it allowed another piece of the jigsaw to be finished.

Both side plates and belt cover are now ready to go to the Powder Coating for some Satin Black finishing....same as the frame.

Without a doubt, the most difficult bit so far is the AirBox and everything attached to it

IMG_0748 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Here you can see that the extra vacuum sensor hole HAD to be used M6 drilled and tapped into the S/Steel hex plug and the blue silicone reducer leads onto the by-pass valve.

It works like this.....................a vacuum is created in the air-box once the throttle (on the bars) is closed

BUT the Supercharger is still pumping as it has not caught up with the decreasing turbines......the air is dumped from here

IMG_0754 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Air leaves the Air Box via the blue silicone reducer into the air bypass valve

IMG_0750 - Copy by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Which is opened by this vacuum controlled valve...which is operated via the tube coming from the M6 nozzle to the diaphragm side on the valve.

IMG_0751 - Copy by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The valve is mounted by a bracket which took 3 hours to make and find a suitable working position (using the bolt holes on the injection plate) these

were originally designed by DUCATI to hold the Stepper motor between the cylinders....hope I don't need that motor!....3 painstaking hours of skinned knuckles

IMG_0753 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Anyway...........the diaphragm lifts the pull bar at a given mercury drop and that pull bar opens (via a cam) a butterfly valve in the bypass ..........

letting air out and creating a loop, before being fed back in to the supercharger in front of its own throttle valve....as intake air!

Untitled by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Don't ask.....all I know is that someone else thought this system up and it still seems alien to me....and I am working with it!

Here you can see the by pass valve angled under the throttle bodies and pointing back to wards the air intake side of the bike

IMG_0748 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

At this point I am working blind................I think I am doing the correct thing and in the correct order but who really knows!

There are no workshop manuals, so I have to refer back to last Easter and the photographs taken when the unit arrived and as it came out of the box.

I assembled this on a table shortly after it arrived from Australia.

This lay out was designed for the DUCATI HYPERMOTARD not the Diavel ...oh lordy!

Untitled by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

STILL....what is the worse that could happen....undeterred we carry on!!

Next up pegs and stuff........

IMG_0746 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_0745 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

and the penultimate chapter prior to wiring.....hope that you are still enjoying this.......I am not sure if I am.

regards

Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, fascinating stuff, cant wait for the next update
djt77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going Gavin, it's always highlight of my day when i see this thread being updated. Doing a magnificent job
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic Gavin! Keep going (uphill all the way I would imagine). Cool
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is the last but one posting prior to the ECU and wiring section.

All hardware has been 98% completed only cables and hoses have to fitted along with gear lever rods and final foot assembly areas.

The body work has been cut but not fitted yet although the seat tank and supports are all ready.

So..........like everything detail is an issue and all bolts have to be checked and gaskets fitted.....here we go.

IMG_0759 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The fairing/dash support had to be finalized and I wanted to incorporate an addition fixing point for a alloy fairing support section I had designed.

IMG_0760 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

What you see here is addition support for the dash bracket and the 2 alloy rods will have some lugs welded on them to link up with the planned bracket.

You might also pick out the lack of a steering lock hole....the frame had been plugged and welded!

The radiator from a Ducati MTS 1200 (these are straight and not curved giving more room where needed.....I have used these before on other builds) this could now be fixed and the 12V horn added into the equation.

IMG_0762 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The gasket was cut and fitted allowing the closing off of the top section of the air box............long 30mm bolts at every corner and 20mm bolts in between........and the badge of honour!

IMG_0755 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

I looked at this belt cover and drove the welder mad.........he had taken so much time, to weld (just) the inside only.

IMG_0742 by Gavin
Robertson
, on Flickr

IMG_0784 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

But I was not sure about the look and the delays in powder coating just added to my questioning......over the 2 week wait...I had decided

Devil makes for idle hands........and the devil is in the detail

IMG_0785 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

From this old photograph, you can see that there is very little room between the supercharger and the frame.

IMG_0517 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

This dictated that whatever design was chosen it would have to be able to slide into the frame and be bolted up from outside the frame.

The photographs from BIMOTA VLX prototype shed no light...that area was covered by a K&N Pancake style filter last seen on a VW beetle.

So a lot of head scratching went on and a layered approach was considered.

IMG_0763 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

First off start with a blank 10 mm thick plate and match the turbine area profile BUT only 5mm deep.

IMG_0767 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Then machine through the alloy plate BUT for only half of the profile.

IMG_0769 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Finish off the outside profile and you are left with this.

IMG_0771 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Flip it over (on the mill) and relieve the outside section making the profile look stepped from an above view.

IMG_0772 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

It now looks like this and can be slide through the gaps and line up with the Supercharger.

IMG_0782 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The air chamber is the full depth of this side and a 5mm deep recess on the other turbine..........this is the first layer!

IMG_0781 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

You might visualize that the air comes on via a throttle body and is compressed after it is drawn into the turbines. The area this side of the turbine creates the plenum area.

Here we have the next Layer!

IMG_0774 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_0779 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

And here you can see how it all builds up ....allowing the manifolds to fit the frame and leave a clean area for another air inlet layer..

IMG_0778 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the wrong button...AGAIN.

This is the chosen throttle body and it is being readied for a transition section.

IMG_0776 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

It is being placed for the correct fitment but also the line.

IMG_0775 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The transition section is prepped and positioned on the air intake side of the Supercharger

IMG_0773 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The transition section is cut into the Layered plate and tidied up.

IMG_0787 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_0789 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

There was much concern over the air intake opening BUT 50mm dia is the correct area by volume (I am told) and this slot matches that volume by area.....

The machined plate is offered back onto the Supercharger

IMG_0790 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_0791 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

So the air enters via the slot and is distributed along the plenum area and compressed by the turbines running at 3.2 times engine speed.

Pushed upwards into the manifold and shaped air box where it enters the Ducati throttle bodies before having the fuel added in the inlet track.

IMG_0792 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Here is a view all bolted up and a K&N fitted to the end.

This not the final design just a end to this side of the machining.

The next section includes some air inlet pipe going to the front of the bike.

With the inlet facing straight out to the air ducts either side of the headlamps and fairing.

IMG_0793 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

But for the time being and until the other sections are finalized, this is how the airbox and supercharger are closed off.

Almost there..............what's the worst that happen?

Thanks for the support and kind words....we all need them sometime....believe me!

Gavin

stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

That is a lot of work

Katy
rpo83

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, love the Range Rover badge Smile

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eyes there....is that where the superchugger badge comes from...and seems the ideal size also...I'd love to comment more on this amazing thread...but like others...am just in awe of one mans passion to get what Bimota wouldn't/couldn't provide......its all complete Dutch/Swaheli in language to my simple knowledge though...hence not being able to comment further.... Crying or Very sad
Number2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope it runs otherwise you will have a huge paper weight. Truly excellent work
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 2 ...........you are not the only one that hopes that it works!

So ..........we are where Bimota were.... as in air intake area but I have some different views on intake and this is where the system changes.

In an ideal world the air intake would be at the front....so that is what I am going to do....
the BIMOTA option was a large pancake filter, which was one of their issues encountered.

IMG_0793 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

So we go from this method to this...by means of.....

IMG_0836 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

An air-intake tube is machined and extra sensors as recommended by Davide Commandini are fitted to measure air pressure and temp.

In addition an air excess or bypass valve has to put the excess somewhere, hence the inlet tube into the intake pipe.

IMG_0837 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

This was bolted to the throttle body as such....awaiting a foam filter which should nestle up to the air intake on the fairing nose cose

IMG_0839 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The by pass pipe was fitted to the intake and silicone hoses take up the vibration...the colour WILL BE CHANGED!

IMG_0840 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

That alloy pipe runs back to the bypass valve again with a blue reducer....this is the vacuum operated valve.

IMG_0841 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The next area was the rear sub-frame which was fitted and welded.

IMG_0812 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The sub-frame incorporated the battery box and space for all the electrics...hopefully.

IMG_0831 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Whilst waiting....I sent the metal parts off for powder coating.

IMG_0828 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

A better view if the battery box......made to suit a lithium sized battery of the correct rating.

IMG_0829 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The 2 feet at the rear locate on the number plate assembly- rear indicator holder, whilst the front single foot locates the front of the rear carbon seat section.

The belt cover was painted rather than powder coated and stainless mesh was glued to the air inlet holes to keep out intruders....and small fingers.

IMG_0842 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The pullies were mounted and the belts temporary tensioned by cable ties!

IMG_0844 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Some cam shaped adjusting pullies were machined fro stainless and aluminium and adjusters added.

IMG_0835 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The front one is the stand-off pulley(clutch side) whilst on the other, you can see how they are adjusted.

IMG_0834 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

This is the final positioning prior to the engine running.

IMG_0845 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

And again.......the belt runs on the pulley guide which picks up the outside of the belts.

IMG_0846 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

And here is the shot of all belt assemblies in place with their respective outrigger bearings fitted

IMG_0847 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry................once again ......hit the wrong button.

The air intake side was completed to a fashion....good enough for DYNO and the bike looks like this...you can just see the fairing section behind the bike.

IMG_0851 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The oil pressure switch was obstructed by the supercharger clutch drive

20170414_094535 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

and replacement was found

IMG_0819 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

This is from a DUCATI 1199 but I could no where to mount it.

Another solution was sought....by means of a T section and tapping one side.

IMG_0818 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

£30 at the local hydraulic company and the OEM Ducati (too long) oil lines were shortened and a new T section introduced.....(best money spent)

I just had to drill and tap the 'blank end' to suit the thread on the oil sensor and fit.

The finished oil lines and right hand side of bike .....not happy with exhaust line or length.... but.....for now it will do....I have a set of RaceFit units that might be fitted...not sure..but the line is wiong

The GRP seat base has to cut, upholstered and fitted... but I will give the DYNO guy a cushion to sit on ...for the meantime.

IMG_0850 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

And that is about it..........water hoses have been, fitted throttle cables cut and soldered, there are no fluids on the bike......it needs another day to go over every bolt and torque everything.....but it is at home now and waiting to be wired.

IMG_0857 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

I have decided to use the OEM DB7 dash.........I felt that the flatscreen TFT colour dash option, was like putting mag alloys on a E Type.

IMG_0093 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The forecast dyno runs start in mid April.....but when dealing with someone else.......who knows.......plus I keep adding things!

Thanks for the support and those forum guys from down under

This project is done ...stage 1.....engineering and hardware...

next stage 2 .............wiring and fettling.......

then stage 3 bodywork and finishing....colour schemes etc

Still..... it is better than wiring...I HATE WIRING

regards
Gavin

My engineers reference book, hole sizes including thread details and PCD calculations..............

IMG_0026 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The Supercharger reference book, pulley sizes, mercury drop activated valves and oil choices...........

20170414_132020 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The BIMOTA DB7-11VLX workshop manual.........!!

20170414_093121 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The actual inspiration...........the engineers' dream

2 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

keep dreaming.........'What is the worse that can happen?'

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry................once again ......hit the wrong button.

The air intake side was completed to a fashion....good enough for DYNO and the bike looks like this...you can just see the fairing section behind the bike.

IMG_0851 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The oil pressure switch was obstructed by the supercharger clutch drive and replacement was found

IMG_0819 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

This is from a DUCATI 1199 but I could no where to mount it.

Another solution was sought....by means of a T section and tapping one side.

IMG_0818 (1) by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

£30 at the local hydraulic company and the OEM lines were shortened and a new T section introduced.....(best money spent)

I just had to tap the blank to suit the thread on the oil sensor and fit.

The finished oil lines and right hand side of bike .....not happy with exhaust line or length but.....for now it will do....I have a set of RaceFit units that might be fitted.

The GRP seat base has to cut, upholstered and fitted... but I will give the DYNO guy a cushion to sit on ...for the meantime.

IMG_0850 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

And that is about it..........water hoses have been, fitted throttle cables cut and soldered, there are no fluids on the bike......it needs another day to go over every bolt and torque everything.....but it is at home now and waiting to be wired.

I have decided to use the OEM DB7 dash.........I felt that the flatscreen colour dash option, was like putting mag alloys on a E Type.

The forecast dyno runs start in mid April.....but when dealing with someone else.......who knows.......plus I keep adding things!

Thanks for the support

The project is done for stage 1.....hardware...

next stage 2 .............wiring and fettling.......

then stage 3 bodywork and finishing....colour schemes etc

Still..... it is better than wiring...I HATE WIRING

regars
Gavin

My engineers reference book, hole sizes including thread details and PCD calculations..............

IMG_0026 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The Supercharger reference book, pulley sizes, mercury drop activated valves and oil choices...........

20170414_132020 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

The BIMOTA DB7-11VLX workshop manual.........!!

20170414_093121 by Gavin Robertson, on Flickr

What is the worse that can happen?

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again...I'm at a loss for words...and I ended up reading through old posts of this thread without realising.....as its all stratospherically above my knowledge and ability.....Nice to see a couple of shots of the proposed full bike.....I can see its a bike now...most shots are wonderfully explicit, but pure engineering....I think its a new master criminal war machine being made until I get shots of wheels, handlebars and petrol tank...and then I recall..oh yeh...its a bike hes building...liking the faithful recreation of what was to be, should have been, but never was...and choice of dash also...you only really need to know if the engines getting hot...how far you've gone so you don't run out of fuel...and speed for when theres cameras around...these new fangled dashes are wonderful with their 3 million combinations and read outs but Jeeso....aren't you supposed to be riding a bike and enjoying it...and watching out for other road users????..Rather than a display fot for an arcade machine where theres zero danger????......Partly why me likes KDX220...speedo...and total mileage read out...and that's it...a button to stop the engine...one for lights on/off...and a horn...KISS......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: