Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

buying a Bimota in Oz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikemad

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: buying a Bimota in Oz Reply with quote

I know they are a rare bike but is there anywhere in particular to look if you are chasing a Bimota?
I have a preference to YB6,8, or 10 models so I can run the bike on concessional licencing.
Or is it feasible to import from outside Australia.
Any help much appreciated.
brian

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found both of my Bimotas through bikesales.com

Some other ideas might be eBay, gumtree etc.

There are some companies that import exotic bikes. Or you could find one yourself overseas and import it
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
pkay

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate being a compulsive bike buyer Bike Sales and Ebay are your best bets. You'll find they get listed for what we think they're worth the eventually go for what the market thinks they're worth. They can be on sale for some time on bike sales - like the SB6 (which I'd stay away from) and DB4 that are listed at the moment. Oher times they go pretty quick like a DB1 that was listed some time ago on ebay. I bought mine off eBay from a guy that was selling a few YB6's. I know he has a shed full of them so wouldn't be surprised to see a few more soon. There is a slow stream of YB's that come onto the market of all different types - usually around the $10,000 mark give or take a couple of grand. I'd say be patient and don't import one.
bikemad

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and info. I will wait and see what appears on eBay, Gumtree or Bikesales.com. I'm in Albany WA so 99.9% of stuff is at least 100's if not 1000's of klms away so it's not an easy decision to buy sight unseen.
I have seen bikes on ImportMonster in Japan and not knowing enough about importing a bike, it scares me!
I'll keep my eyes peeled and if anybody knows of anything I would be interested.
Cheers Ian.
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my SB6 sight unseen from Melbourne a few years ago. I live 3000 klm north of Melbourne, had it transported up and it was was exactly as described.

You just need to be a it careful and wary and If it doesn't feel right walk away.

There's a fairly good network of guys on here, so if you find something you are interested in, post up here and if someone's not too far away I'm sure they'd have a look for you.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: YB Reply with quote

The YB's are a lovely bike, if quite difficult to work on - getting the carbs on and off is a pain. Beware of anything that has had flat slides fitted - saw an ex-Japan bike for sale in the UK that had had the main brace between the frame spars cut out, to accommodate flat-slides - ouch! If flat slides have been fitted, they should have been accommodated by "notching" that frame brace.

Good hunting.
pkay

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to get over the sight unseen bug - it can be hard but just remember the seller is often describing something he looks at through rose coloured glasses and has accepted the faded plastics and broken indicator on his mint bike. If you want a concours queen straight up your better to find someone who can look at the bike first. If your OK with some rough edges and set aside some cash to clean up the bike you'll do well in 90% of the cases. If you're buying one bike you chances are good you wont get stiffed badly. I've bought most of my bikes sight unseen (I have 65 so can speak from experience) and most of the time I've been happy (and sometimes really happy) with what turned up.
bikemad

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy to do a strip and rebuild as long as all of the bike is there and none of the "one-off" Bimota bits are missing.
I recently bought a bike from Hervey Bay in Qld sight unseen but with 15 high res photos and I'm really pleased with what I bought. It was at a dealer but a private sale and the bike salesman had a good eye and was dead honest. This is the only time I've ever done this but it was a good buy and I'm well pleased.
So a scruffy yb6,yb8 or 10(or a yb5) won't put me off!
CBR_DBR

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bikemad,

The sites mentioned earlier have some Bimotas listed most of the time. Seems most of them are DBs at the moment but other ones do pop up.

I bought a DB5R a year and a half ago and it was in perfect (new) condition. Plenty of close-up photos should give you a fair idea of the state.

There's a Tesi on there at the moment (Razz) but I don't think I can park any more bikes in the garage at the moment.

Cheers,

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: