Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tyre report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnmankit

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Tyre report Reply with quote

About a year ago, when I got my DB2 road legal again, I put on a set of Metzeler M7rr tyres after reading a rave review of them in Performance Bikes magazine. From the very start I was not happy with them - there seemed to be very little feedback and there were regular little slips at both ends; not big scary slides, but enough to make me lose confidence, and this on dry roads too with hot tyres. After a while I accepted it and was still able to scrub the rear right around to the edge (you'd have the bike on it's side to do that to the front - it's a very round profile), but the unpredictable little slips still occurred. Anyway after 2400 miles the rear was about worn out and I was happy to bin it.
I sought advice from this forum (thanks guys) then completely ignored it.
I've run Continental race tyres on my bicycles and been very happy, so when I read a glowing review of the Conti RoadAttack in a French magazine I thought I'd give it a try on the rear.
I am VERY HAPPY with this tyre. Grip is brilliant with only very slight "creep" when cornering hard on poor surfaces and it feels totally predictable and confidence inspiring. The bike feels lighter and more agile and I scrubbed the tyre to the edge on the first ride, as Continental claim no mold release agents are left on the surface, so virtually no running in needed. Not tried it in the rain but damp patches are causing no moments. I've done a couple of hundred miles on it now and it just feels better and better.
In summary HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I can't wait to put one on the front.
(Pressures as per Bimota handbook, 2.1 bar fr, 2.3 rr) Laughing
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
I'd normally run pressures as the tyre manufacture recommends but it doesn't seem to slow you down 😉😎
vort28

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the Conti Attack on a few of my newer Bim's that came fitted with them as standard.
Usually a Michelin man myself, have dabbled in Pirelli a few times , but always gone back to Michelin, however find the conti's very much like the michelin's. Very predictable and controlled rate of turn in, never had the thoughts of taking them off like I had to do with the last Pirelli's.

Things with Bimota's I think is they are quite light and have quite agressive steering to start with so tyres that have aggressive profiles make them feel unsettled and flighty .
barnmankit

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Conti for recommended pressures on a bike of this weight and they replied saying as per the manufacturer's (ie Bimota) recommendation.
Wasn't particularly unhappy with the handling on the Metzelers, just the unpredictable grip. Very strange, that rave review... I've had Pirelli Dragons in the past: happy with the grip, not with the durability. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds from the Contis.
By the way, it's the RoadAttack 2 Evo. 140 euros through my local bike shop.
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
JackJabba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Continental tyres on 80's bikes and for me were great grip, but when I wore the rear out on an FZR400 in 900 miles I decided to stick with Bridgestone.
JackJabba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Continental tyres on 80's bikes and for me were great grip, but when I wore the rear out on an FZR400 in 900 miles I decided to stick with Bridgestone.
barnmankit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually now you mention it I had a Conti Go on the front of my old bee-em and that wore out quickly, plus the lack of a continuous centre groove wasn't good for the steering.
I'm hoping for decent wear from the Attack, time will tell...
Be interesting to have more Bimota related tyre experiences since they're bikes with slightly unusual characteristics: lightweight, short wheelbase, tight frame geometry. For me at least the Metzelers, as mentioned, did not inspire confidence, but maybe on a heavier bike they're fine.
Happy riding, whatever tyres you're on.
A shed full of bicycles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: