Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Improved but not working DB2SR!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Improved but not working DB2SR! Reply with quote

OK, so as I said in my other thread..... whilst the Bims 'clothes' are off I decided to fit an Oberon clutch slave cylinder and also fit
a) Exact heavy duty battery/solenoid/earth cables.

Just showing the battery/solenoid and solenoid starter cables here with originals as a comparison. They are thicker, pure copper cables with terminals crimped to Railway industry standards. Lots of good reports on Ducati Forums about improved starting using these cables (sells on Ebay under 'Exige' shop name)

I have a LiPo battery fitted so +Ve and -Ve terminals are on same sides as original but at rear of battery compartment. I also wanted to reroute a bit to tidy up the cable a bit.

Stuart (who runs Exact) didn't have a kit for DB2SR (of course) but patiently agreed details with me for a special kit at same price as standard.

b) Cycle Works coils (supposedly more consistent and better sparking)

I replaced the starter.solenoid cables but left the original earth in place and added the new cable in 'Piggy back' formation.

The main point of these two mods was to get better starting as even with a healthy battery, turnover from cold is painfully slow and I'm concerned that could damage the starter sprag.

Finally I had a
c) Mosfet FH020AA regulator/rectifier to hopefully avoid any issues with the original ducati part failing (not uncommon at all) and potentially damaging any of the hard/impossible to get electrical components on the bike (new ECU anyone??).

When I got into it the connectors on the two alternators wires were melted and discoloured so obviously had been running hot . Ducati take some decent sized wires from the alternator but then the wires are 'downsized'to something totally inadequate for the run up to the RR. I replaced those wires with 10 gauge 30amp wire and suitable fittings at the same time.

Will post up some photos ASAP but in the meantime here's a poser for you all.

All back together this afternoon. Turned key, lights on, dashboard lit up, fuel pump primed. GOOD!Very Happy
Then hit the starter button. Engine turned over at about 5 times its previous speed but and burst into life GOOD..Very Happy ...........
Then it died.Sad

Its a 15A fuse blowing that I think controls fuel pump and ignition. I can repeat the above failure consistently..new fuse, switch on, power up, prime fuel system start.....stop, blown fuse

Will check all the connections tomorrow but cant see why it powers up and starts and then fails. Confused Am now wishing I had done all the mods separately and checked all OK after each one.

Hey Ho!!

Last edited by welshlamb on Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on electrics, but I'd look closely at what has been changed recently. You mention running heavier wires to the RR... maybe the heavier wires are drawing more current? Might be as easy as installing a slightly heavier fuse?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15A fuse for fuel pump seems a bit heavy , must be for something else also.

Maybe a bad connection or an earth , but consistency does point to something else.
I guess the bike is stopping due to lack of fuel. For a quick sanity check how about separating the fuel pump off that fuse and see if it runs ok for a few minutes.
Not that its a cure, but will give you some pointers were to go next.
Maybe stick old rectifier back on after that and see it fuse lasts then.

Game of elimination really.
waggy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Welshlamb,

Do you have a wiring diagram that you can post up?
Its important to find out which circuit is causing the fuse to blow, you dont seem sure. Shouldn't be too many 15amp circuits, lighting could be one.
Did you earth the mosfet direct to battery?
At a guess the problem might be an error in fitting mosfet or coils.
you could work backwards and refit the old stuff, it might narrow your search a bit.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

now that would be a fine thing!..... but unfortunately not. As far as I know there isn't one. The DB2 only came with the 'owners handbook' no workshop manual or anything. Also as it was FI long before the Ducati 900SSie the electrics don't seem to correspond very well to anything in the Hayne's 900SS Manual so I'm looking at the 900SS and M900 monster schematics for inspiration.

I will go back and check earths and connections (continuity) first and then also change back the RR (although will need to change the connectors on the old unit first). My fear is its not something I changed but some other wiring that got twisted/broken whilst working on the intended areas.

As bike electronics are about my weakest area this will be a slow burner I'm sure!

Will post up some photos of the changes I made in the meantime. Thanks for any suggestions along the way.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: 2 steps forward one step backwards! Reply with quote

Changed back to the old RR but with new connectors fitted (I've used Anderson 30A Powerpole connectors).
Fires up first time and stays running.

So problem sorted for now but begs the question of what can go wrong with a RR that would cause my problem. The units gives a nominal 14V output rather than the nominal 12v of the Ducati item but not sure why that would blow fuses. For a given alternator output (watts) surely a higher DC voltage would lower current? (physics wasn't my best subject so please correct me)

Any ideas why the Mossfet RR may have caused the fuse to blow?

Cheers!
Piso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggy wrote:
Hi Welshlamb,

Its important to find out which circuit is causing the fuse to blow, you dont seem sure. Shouldn't be too many 15amp circuits, lighting could be one.
you could work backwards and refit the old stuff, it might narrow your search a bit.

Hello
Check this for db2 documentation
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4197&highlight=
Rgds
Piso
Piso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piso wrote:
waggy wrote:
Hi Welshlamb,

Hello
Check this for db2 documentation
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4197&highlight=
Rgds
Piso

Hmmm the lik does not seem to work any more... I have .pdf files of the mentioned docs. Send me a pm with your e-mail address an I'll make sure to send
Piso
rpo83

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you find the issue and it doesn't cause you too much grief.

When i built my V_Strom to rida solo around Australia i fitted a mosfet RR. There is a guy who runs a great web shop providing great electrical upgrades for many bikes, on his advice i also upgraded the connectors to the R/R and used waterproof metri-pack connectors.. Here is his web site..

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: