Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sowheredoesthisgo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: SB6 advice? Reply with quote

Hi everybody Very Happy I'm bringing myt SB6 back to its former etc. I've just had the bodywork re-painted. Its a brilliant job, too good for a clumsy bugger like me. So I'm looking to try that protective film.

They do kits for the SB6R but not the SB6. Is the SB6 bodywork identical to the SB6R? Has anybody used this film? Does it work?

I'm blanching at the price of getting an air filter made. The foam one in the box disintegrated as I looked at it. What do people think about getting some air filter fioam sheet and cutting it to shape?

Cheers all
oily

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Wink
The SB6 and 6R bodywork are totaly diferent
We are waiting for evilchicken to get back to us with the best K & N panel filter to butcher to fit.
Never tried the protective film, I just ride um to they need painting again....about every 20 years to date Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into getting protective filum done. It was a couple of years back before two resprays went tits up.

The deal was - find 6 owners and the company, I think it was Rhino film would produce it as a commercial pattern. I think one other owner that I knew showed an interest. The cost of a custom cut was £300 a kit was about £100. The guy I spoke to was in Gasoline Alley (???)

If Rhino or whoever are still up for the 6 deal then you can count me in Smile
sowheredoesthisgo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Many thanks to you both Smile

Don't spend a lot of time on the K&N filter thing - I can see they've got panels big enough to butcher - I presume there is nothing else to take into account?

Re the film, I've been talking to Invisible Patterns. The cost of developing a template is £250, then the kit would be £90. So, for one person it would be £340 (ouch), for 2 £215 each, for 5, £140, and so on. Anybody else interested?

Cheers
oily

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your paintwork is totaly mint and original, I dont see that the film is worth that sort of money (unless it'll save the bodywork if my missus ploughs into the side of a tractor again). Thats a big chunk of money towards getting the paintwork repaired.
Just my thoughts anyway Wink
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Oily

but if you've just had a respray and want to protect it against stone chips, scuffs (when you take the bodywork off) and don't want a tank gaurd on, then it makes sense.

Last edited by Evilchicken0 on Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sowheredoesthisgo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Protection Reply with quote

For me, its not just stone chips etc, but the scuffs that come from lying on the tank cover or squeezing the seating unit with my knees in sheer trerror as speed once again outweighs talent and judgement Rolling Eyes
CBar

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think is too late for me. Sad

Pompey

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Just curious but once the cling film is on how do you maintain it? At least with paint you can wax and polish... how about leaving your immaculate bodywork off and getting a pattern fairing thats cheaper then the clingfilm?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clean and polish it the same as paintwork.

Can you find pattern bodywork for £200 ? Remeber you don't really want the bike to look like sh!te, the idea is to keep your bike looking good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: