Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 kickstand spring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcolion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: YB11 kickstand spring Reply with quote

Well my bike is finally on the home stretch to be put back on the road after long 2 years of restoration work.

1. All body work has been fully refurbished, spider cracks fixed, all bolt holes now have carbon fiber backing to prevent hairline cracks and strengthen the plastic.

2. Completely refurbished cooling system by installing a clean used radiator from Yamaha YZF1000 Thunderace, almost all new metal pipes, new water pump cover and new bearing and prop. New main lower radiator rubber hose, the one that going to water pump. New thermostat.

3. New fuel filter, new breather filter, the one on the left side of air line from the air box. Carburetor had just been rebuilt and Stage 1 Dynojet kit is installed. New spark plugs.

4. New K&N air filter HA-0008. I had to dremel out an opening just a bit and cut out the sealed bottom side. Looks good and would never need to be replaced.

5. Forks are being serviced as type this with 2" seals that bought on recommendation of forum members. They are definitely thinner then OEM. So, will see how it works.

6. New Brake and Clutch master cylinder containers for the front brakes and clutch. Also will be installing a new container for the rear. Plus new custom braided brake and clutch lines. Front brake lines are now mounted solidly to a bottom triple tree. I will have some pics soon. Thinking of installing radial Clutch and Brake masters from 2009 Aprilia RSV. Will ride first and over winter make a decision.

So, now to the subject of this post. The spring for the kickstand have seen better days and barely holds side stand up. Actually it's so week it drops down when hitting a slight bump, like when rolling the bike on the lift. So, if anyone knows what bike could be a donor for this spring it would be much appreciated. Another possible route is using a spring that holds exhaust pipes together. But I would need to know the length I would need.

If anyone knows this info, please share

Thanks in advance
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
who

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one somewhere, that I'll look at fitting to my YB6 one day.

Bimota finally got it right with the YB11, the suicide side stand on the earlier versions was plain silly Rolling Eyes

For the spring, pull the one on the bike, and head down to your local bike wreckers and see what they have got? Or google tension spring and find something suitable on line?
Falcolion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since no one new what fits, I ordered a bunch of different Yamaha kickstand springs. So, here is the info that might help others

If you have an original black metal kickstand then the following springs will work
Yamaha 90506-18020-00 tension spring (black) or
Yamaha 90506-18008-00 tension spring (natural/silver). It's same as above but just not black.

Also Yamaha recommends a rubber sleeve over this spring. Use Yamaha 90445-19002-00. The fit is very tight. So to ease the rubber sleeve installation, just start pushing this sleeve on, spray WD-40 inside and it slides right on.

Looks really good and works right
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
who

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the YB11 stand I have here. In addition to the tension spring, Bimota installed an exhaust header retaining (tension) spring to the ID-inside of the main spring.

If the new spring you found works, well no need for a second spring. A lot of kick stand springs out there have the secondary spring oem.

Glad you worked it out.

Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who,

Thanks for pictures. I thought it would be a great idea to add secondary spring. Since I just had exhaust header spring, which by itself didn't do the job, I just put it inside same way. Now it's even better
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: