Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tesi service part 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Tesi service part 2 Reply with quote

Gigi turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Bimota didn't even respond to my requests. WTF

You would think that even given the limited number of 1D's made that at least someone out there has serviced one or do people just ride them till they break down and not bother servicing them and just sell them on. Again WTF. I've serviced my SB6 and SB8 I'm not about to ride them till they go pop. I am so fracking frustrated at the moment. Sitting looking at Miss Tess it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and strip her down. FACK
atomibart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bimotaboy,
Did you contact motosport62 near Lille? I think they are very able to service your Tesi 1D.
Try also with Bimota Gelain in the east of France. They still service Bimotas they imported in France some time ago. I can give you their phone number if you want.

atomibart
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

Thanks I will check them out on line. Would actually rather do the service myself but if they can point me in the right direction that would be great. I have started to strip it and the more I look at it the more it looks like you have to get the motor out of the frame to get to the belts.
atomibart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you will have to strip the whole bike to change the belts. A nightmare.
The problem I heard about is that it is difficult to reassemble the front steering system. Very 'sensitive' and hard to set up...

atomibart
atomibart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the Tesi workshop manual?
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bugger Reply with quote

I have started so I'll finish. Yea I figured the more I looked at it the more it looked like it needed to be taken apart. The joys of Bimota. Know what though. I am gonna do it. I want to ride it and I love the look on people's faces when they see it.
I will take my time and when I'm done I'll be happy. Thanks so much for responding, more than Bimota did. It took me the best part of two hours to get the air box off this afternoon. Can't get your hand in to get the screws off the front intake. Yea Nightmare. I have taken loads of pictures so I can get it back together again. I don't have a TESI workshop manual, I didn't think you could get them but I did get a Ducati workshop manual for the motor.
atomibart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi barnmankit,
Perhaps you could upload some pictures of the different steps disassembling the bike and post about your difficulties and surprises/discoveries this will bring to you ?

Would be like some kind of a workshop manual...could be very appreciated here Wink
who

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found with Bimota, (at least the YB series), the best approach is to pull them down to individual pieces. Clean, grease and polish (I don't mean buff) as you go. Take lots of photos as you pull it down so you can get it back together. Engine wise do all the watercooling orings, check water pump, valve clearances, new gaskets for valve covers, replace engine hoses, service the carbs etc etc. Don't skimp and you will have an as new bike that will do another 20 years without issue (well maybe).

It seems to take forever, but you end up with something that you know and can trust. Cheers. Rolling Eyes
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: service Reply with quote

I've got 42 photos so far. Hasn't been any real problems. Getting my hand and an allen key inside the air box to get that off was a pain. Nor going as fast as I would like as work takes over. Going to replace the coolant lines and fuel lines. Not sure how many more photos I'll have. The front end is going to have to come off and most likely the rear. Not looking forward to that. Am looking forward to getting it finished so I can ride it.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: photos Reply with quote

There are now 67 photos of the strip down. 107 mb if anyone wants a copy drop me a line.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure when you are putting it back together that there is a VERY good battery installed if not a new one......as the omega plates have to come off to fit the battery....so dont dare fit a used nearly dead unit....
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
.as the omega plates have to come off to fit the battery.....

No they don't. The battery cannot be removed from it's carrier unless you remove the tubular sub frame first. This entails dismantling most of the top of the bike and the steering.

Once you have removed the sub frame, remove the 2 cap head bolts that secure the battery carrier to the r/h Omega plate, disconnect the electrical items attached to it (and the battery leads!) and lift it out. Before you replace it, it is wise to have it modified so that the electrical's mounting plate is detachable. Then if you ever need to replace the battery again, it will pull out from the side without recourse to removing the offending sub frame. Or the next owner will thank you for it.....
On my Tesi race bike, I simply cut the mounting plate off like so.........

but then I didn't require all the electrical items that are mounted on it. Very Happy
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

Thanks but you are not quite correct. I'm fitting a new battery but you don't need to dismantle everything to get to the battery as I have taken the battery out before and you only have to take off the bodywork.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

Actually it's only one side that has to come off not all of it
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: in bits Reply with quote

Just about there. Waiting for the bits and the tension tool to turn up. The top red trellis bit needs to be unbolted to gain access to the belts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: