Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB8 Builds
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
who

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: YB8 Builds Reply with quote

I've got a few YB8 projects on the go (1 roady and two race bikes), and as I'm posting some pic's etc on a Yamaha Exup forum, (which is nearly dead) thought I might duplicate here?

I purchased this YB8 a while ago, and whilst it looks nice in the photos, I doubt it has ever had the fairing off, and been washed. I tend to get a bit carried away with my builds, but the up side is I know what I've got at the end.

who

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what it looked like on the inside Shocked

So now for some cleaning... Shock needs a replacement as it was leaking and airless. I'll look at servicing it at a later date. I have a good spare kicking around so that will go in.

brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodywork looks to be in good nic. I'd love to see some pics of the race bikes
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
who

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body work is quite good, the state of it underneath was a bit of a surprise!

With a bit of elbow grease not such a problem, though I feel as if I have spent a lot of time with my hands in cold water! However, everything is now looking like it should.

Unfortunately the bike took a hit in transit (high seas), and the rear sub-frame was toast, luckily I had a spare. The hammer is there just to motivate the parts!

Here's one of the race bikes,

And my golden child, you can see carby cross-member has been modified to take 41mm FCR's :

Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Clean enough to eat your dinner off.

Carbs make much difference?

All the best

Katy
who

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean is good!

Yep the 41mm FCR's will make a large difference, especially with ram air. Injection Throttle bodies are 38mm, though you can machine them to 39mm or a bit bigger.

Vroom vroomm!

(Edit: Talking throttle bodies because it is a Furano. though probably even more rwhp with a carb model.).

Last edited by who on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
who

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Bimotas... Check out this crazy rooster.

It's a roller I purchase off a mate. (it's a roller because I put a front end into it! hahaha.)

I'm just going to have to stop at some stage....

Stop what? lol.

Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have 40mm flat slides on my Bandit (just Mikunis). Gave a bit more peak power. But on the road not sure I would bother.

Clearance on the Dieci between the carbs and the fame is tiny. I have a spare set of carbs from an FZR1000 at the moment, and you have to grind off the small spigots on the float bowls for them to fit (As Bimota did!)

All the best

Katy
who

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gold Furano with the cutouts was a race bike. Hence the 41mm FCR's. I wouldn't bother using them for the road either Katy.

Interesting tip regarding the BSDT 38mm Carbs, I'll have to add that to my notes!

You have me worried now, as I was wanting to fit the next Bimota race bike build with the YB11 Bdsr 38mm carbs, and at some time respaced BDSR 41mm from the R1 which will give the performance of a 39mm FCR, with more power and no drivability problems.

I just fitted respaced Thunderace BDSR 38mm to my FZR1000 genesis race bike, I'll have to check float bowl clearance on the YB6 before I do.

Here's a pick of the FZR1000 with the BDSR 38mm carbs fitted. Not an easy fit up as I had to cut and reweld the race tank, and do various other jobs, airbox, inlet manifold widening, machine inlet rubbers, etc. These are old photo's, it is far further developed now.

The old carbs oem carbs on the 88 Genesis FZR1000 (same carbs as the Genesis powered YB6), are a Mikuni BDS 37mm. They are good reliable solid long wearing carbs, but 37mm and oval slide, so I would guess the equivalent of a 35mm round slide, so you can imagine how the YB11 carbs will improve power. (about 8-10 RWHP)

The EXUP Mikunis like on your YB10, were a chink in the amour for Yamaha. Not a good carb, prone to flogging out needles and emulsion tubes in few km's. The FZR750RR OW01 were fitted with a variant of this carb, and that cost yamaha WSK victory on this wonderful homologation bike. Shame!

The Mikuni BDSR 38mm fitted to the YB11 is the little brother of the R1 carb, and again an excellent carburetor, that offers good power and reliability. They also offer about 4 peak rwhp.

You will notice the bimota influences on the 88 FZR1000 build!

Cheers, Ralph.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW , I thought the gold frame was bright , but that body work is urm , Interesting !!!!!
Certainly wont get lost on the grid in those colours !! Are you having leathers made to match the 80's theme ?

The anodized frame must have been a bit of a trend for Bimota race bikes. I've seen another race YB8 with a red ( well actually pink now ) anodized frame and swing arm etc.

The road bike certainly seems a bit of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide , nice on the outside but a monster underneath !!!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...theres certainly nothing wrong with the 80's colour schemes....they went with that crazy era in time and certainly stand out...no shrinking Violets allowed in the 80's.....But then....why oh my was my DB2 painted up as per below when it was the 1990's?????????....Still tempted to get a pattern set of fairings made up for some spare bodywork in these colours....but then I'd need the oscom wheels in purple and yellow also.....

Love the fact that the chequer and yellow and purple colouring flicks from front to back dependant if on left or right...must have been a nightmare for a painter to create something in 2 halves....

vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims , I remember playing the MCN 'spot the ball' competition to win that bike, and TBH I love that paint scheme. There was a race SB7 and a tesi in very similar paint. Obviously GK had the tesi but the sb7 has disappeared, was in Bonhams auctions a few years ago but missed it.
who

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say checkout this crazy rooster?

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
2bims , I remember playing the MCN 'spot the ball' competition to win that bike, and TBH I love that paint scheme. There was a race SB7 and a tesi in very similar paint. Obviously GK had the tesi but the sb7 has disappeared, was in Bonhams auctions a few years ago but missed it.

l
You must mean this puppy....didn't realise you had taken part in the competition...way back in 1994...even have a coy of the MCN with the comp on the back page...and the bike in full colour

Stafford 2012 was the auction for the SB7

who

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! SB7 is on my list Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: