Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota factory closed for good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChriDB7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Really though ... its not the first time Bimota has gone bust maybe it will rise again maybe not, time will tell.

I live in italy and near rimini. I know very well both the Italian and the Bimota situation.
In my opinion, it will not be bought by any Italian but by the Chinese
barnmankit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is BIMOTA for sale? Do you think that the Chinese appreciate the marque and would invest in their long-term future? Would they retain the current management or bring in new personnel?
Bimota has a unique place in the history of motorcycling - I'm sure that someone, eventually, will ensure that they do not disappear.
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
ChriDB7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnmankit wrote:
Is BIMOTA for sale? Do you think that the Chinese appreciate the marque and would invest in their long-term future? Would they retain the current management or bring in new personnel?
Bimota has a unique place in the history of motorcycling - I'm sure that someone, eventually, will ensure that they do not disappear.

The Chinese people do not appreciate anything,but in Italy, the only ones willing to pay off the money are the Chinese.No Italian will ever buy Bimota, not because it is worth nothing, but because there is no moneyi.
Benelli, Pirelli, Milan, Inter and also some Ferrari, are in the hands of the Chinese.
arsenic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it'd be great if à German company would buy Bimota.

Audi did it with Ducati and it worked well, BMW have their own motorcycles brand.... Amg did invest a little bit in MV but that didn't worked, maybe that would be their chance to have their own brand...
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue I guess is Bimota do not make or have the rights to any engines.
It would make sense for a German company to buy as they might be able to get BMW or Ducati/audi engines , but lets face it both BMW and Ducati make 70k plus motorcycles so why would they need Bimota ????
It needs someone like Stuart Garner to invest lots of money into it with a long term plan. Lets face it Garner been bank rolling Norton for what , 10 yrs now ?
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who owns MV?

And there was a post about how Bimota had just moved, and not really closed.

They are answering emails now.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame WSBK didnt go Evo, the BB3 was doing well
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
It's a shame WSBK didnt go Evo, the BB3 was doing well

Its a shame they did not make the bikes for homologation so they could earn the points . I think they would have won the EVO class and that would have got them noticed , sales of BB3's.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 units in 2014, which is now 500 ... Bimota were never going to be able to sell that many.
arsenic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
1000 units in 2014, which is now 500 ... Bimota were never going to be able to sell that many.

Yeah especially since the BB3 are not really better when you compare them to hp4... and they're way more expensive, design is questionnable too.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Who owns MV?

And there was a post about how Bimota had just moved, and not really closed.

They are answering emails now.

MV is owned by Castiglione in conjunction with an investment fund. Castiglione could not find a common ground with the Germans and bought back their 25% and got into bed with the said fund. Not sure what will become of it, but knowing this keeps me from buying an MV.

I have speculated before, that Bimota would be a great match for the Germans, especially now that MB has no obligations to MV. However, as pointed out, out of all major italian brands, Biota's issue is that it needs an engine supplier. It can go the Rotax route, which has worked for Aprilia and BMW. Plus Rotax is an Austrian brand, another plus for the AMG.

Problem I see here is brand recognition. While MV and Aprilia are a rather obscure but still recognizable brands in the US, Bimota is far from it. They can't even pronounce the name here correctly. "Hey what kind of bike is this? Oh, a Bye mota? Where is that from? Kit bike?" etc. For Audi and BMW, motorcycles count in their respective average gas mileage for the vehicle sold. Bimota will not be of any help here.

I always thought that Bimota would be a perfect brand for Fiat to acquire and sell it through their Ferrari showrooms. I am sure I am missing a whole lot of marketing and sales calculations here, just wishful thinking.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arsenic wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:

Yeah especially since the BB3 are not really better when you compare them to hp4... and they're way more expensive, design is questionnable too.

If that's the case then why was the BB3 doing so well ... obviously the "questionable design" was working.
You're talking about a Bimota and then question the expense ... ???? No Bimota model has ever been cheap when you compare it to a donor bike
arsenic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
arsenic wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:

If that's the case then why was the BB3 doing so well ... obviously the "questionable design" was working.
You're talking about a Bimota and then question the expense ... ???? No Bimota model has ever been cheap when you compare it to a donor bike

Sure and it's a personal opinion but in comparaison, a db8 is way more exclusive, beautiful and efficient when you compare it to a 1198S. But again it's a personal opinion.
niels550

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew!.. Close shave for me. I may well have got the last Bimota ever made in the old factory.

Nevertheless, its a sad outcome for a company which designed and built such wonderful machines. Here's hoping a White Knight will come along and rejuvenate it.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed Niels....did you see the USA Cycle World journal report that mentioned you and your Tesi? The journalist said that his friend Niels had bought a Tesi 3D from Bimota....from his home base in Oz...and that he confirmed that the bike was made in Lugano Switzerland????????

I was going to comment on it....but journos like to make stories up that's for sure....and theirs sounded better for the factory than the reality....

I believe that maybe you have the last Bimota ever made....not just in Rimini...

http://www.cycleworld.com/storied-italian-motorcycle-company-bimota-hits-another-bump-in-road?6xDVoxe8zWTTTs3r.01

THis was the Authors previous article in January of this year...which seems more accurate??

http://www.cycleworld.com/bimota-motorcycles-status-historic-italian-brand#page-7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: