Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota factory closed for good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnmankit wrote:

Maybe Bimota could even give an electric bike a soul?

That will be most difficult in my opinion. An electric motor will never ever have soul like a motorcycle engine. One that comes to mind is the beautiful Vincent V twin 1000, just beautiful!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of a vdue and a few words in this months Performance Bike magazine
saying Bimota has closed and remaining stock sold.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Whether true or not, not good as no one going to buy a bike now.
SiBag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
barnmankit wrote:

That will be most difficult in my opinion. An electric motor will never ever have soul like a motorcycle engine. One that comes to mind is the beautiful Vincent V twin 1000, just beautiful!

I had a play on an electric bike the other week at an old US airbase in Oxfordshire.

I must admit it was a hoot, and until you have experienced how strong they pull form the off I wouldn't comment too much.
But I still love petrol....

If its got Ti#s or Wheels its gona give you trouble
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Picture of a vdue and a few words in this months Performance Bike magazine
saying Bimota has closed and remaining stock sold.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Whether true or not, not good as no one going to buy a bike now.

I like PB but you'd have thought they could have found an up to date Bimota for the picture - they've test a few since.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably playing with irony.....that the Vdue sunk them once before.....so used the same image this time....rather than trying to print what it actually is that has sunk them...just lazy journo's really....they could have printed a better article just reading this Forum
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually an electric Bimota make a whole lot of sense.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Actually an electric Bimota make a whole lot of sense.

A hybrid would make even more
brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiBag wrote:
brian wrote:
barnmankit wrote:

I had a play on an electric bike the other week at an old US airbase in Oxfordshire.

I must admit it was a hoot, and until you have experienced how strong they pull form the off I wouldn't comment too much.
But I still love petrol....

I'll just keep my dinosaurs... fuck the future if it's going electric
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
barnmankit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all with you Brian - nothing will replace the crazy sensations you get from a petrol engine (preferably a v-twin) between your legs. And we're lucky to own machines from a time when Bimota made truly great and unique motorcycles.
But electric is the future, not a shadow of a doubt.
I think you could definitely give an electric bike a soul. Just for starters, how about this: give it a PULSE, that you feel through the saddle and the handlebars when you turn it on; then give it some sound effects, like it takes a deep breath when you open the throttle; and maybe a deliberate transmission whine that turns into a wail at high speed (ever heard the banshee wail of an F1 car from the 2000s?). You could say it's all artificial, but it's not really - electric actually opens up almost infinite possibilities.
You know there's no such thing as progress - only change. First was steam, then oil and petrol, and next is electric. Each era produced amazing machines.
Y'all have a good day!
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnmankit wrote:
I think we're all with you Brian - nothing will replace the crazy sensations you get from a petrol engine (preferably a v-twin) between your legs. And we're lucky to own machines from a time when Bimota made truly great and unique motorcycles.
But electric is the future, not a shadow of a doubt.
I think you could definitely give an electric bike a soul. Just for starters, how about this: give it a PULSE, that you feel through the saddle and the handlebars when you turn it on; then give it some sound effects, like it takes a deep breath when you open the throttle; and maybe a deliberate transmission whine that turns into a wail at high speed (ever heard the banshee wail of an F1 car from the 2000s?). You could say it's all artificial, but it's not really - electric actually opens up almost infinite possibilities.
You know there's no such thing as progress - only change. First was steam, then oil and petrol, and next is electric. Each era produced amazing machines.
Y'all have a good day!

I'm trying to keep an open mind kit and I guess I shouldn't bag electric bikes as I've never ridden one, nor seen one in person to be honest. I'm a bit old school but I know that with time comes progress and change.

I also own a VTX1800 and I read some of the history on the model. Apparently when Honda designed the VTX1800 engine, they purposely built a vibration into it, almost out of balance. It was mainly aimed at the USA market (in competition to a particular American motorcycle I guess). When they released the VT1100, a lot of feedback that they got from the US market was that the engine was just TOO SMOOTH and people wouldn't ride them due to the 'no feel' Laughing
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more people should go try things before sticking their heads in the sand an rejecting it.

In past roles I have worked on the development of electric motorcycles. Ride one and it be comes clear what the strengths AND weaknesses are.

Also there needs to be some context. What if we had ONLY ever riden electric bikes and the "market" was moving to gas engines? Should we judge what is possible or form an opinion on based on the specs of a Vespa? Is that all a gas engine can be?

Personally I am in the camp of wanting my cutting edge performance vehicles to be cutting edge and include the latest and greatest tech.

I cringe when I hear people lament the absents of three pedal manual sports car in the name of "involvement"
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think what we used before radial brakes, upside down forks, aluminium beam frames, genesis Yamaha, or 750/4 Honda ..... its just the next thing
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.
It isnt like the "old" stuff is going to vanish.

I view different eras as being able to offer different experiences that fit different activities.

Electric power is just going to be something new and different.
Key is to find ways to enjoy them for what they are and fill in the gaps with other era stuff.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said... I'm trying to keep an open mind.

If and when I ever get to ride an electric motorcycle, I'll form my own opinion I guess. Not really on my bucket list at this point in time
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I see that VW have pulled the sale of Ducati...saying they no longer are looking for a buyer....apparently they wanted 1.5billion Euros....and Royal Enfield (India) had offered 2 billion........so someone should call them and tell them Bimota is for sale....offers of 1.50 euros upwards.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: