Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Low mileage DB4 in USA - SLightly dusty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Low mileage DB4 in USA - SLightly dusty Reply with quote

See attached makes you want to cry....a DB4 with more dust than even Vorts

Bimota DB4
Concord, CA
$6,000

1999 Bimota DB4 for sale – low miles. Sat for 10 years, so going for a great price. Asking $6000 obo. Tons of extras, including original cashier's check, original shipping crate, shop manual, etc.

For sale on Bimota Motorcycles Facebook page....Some cheaky Italian on there...a DB7 owner...posted this comment

"6000$ for a bike in that state with Bimota down now ? I dont really know how much it's worth in USA but that look very expensive to me..."...

.No wonder Bimota go bump when theres so little support from even their homeland...this bike would have been $20,000 plus when new...and this albeit badly presented pup only has 1000miles on the clock
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the main reason I got out of professional MC mechanic work. No matter how much or how hard I worked, others would have the financial means to afford the bikes I could only dream of and then treat them like this.

I saw this day in and day out back in the 80's and it always made me mad. The owner should be treated with the same disdain and lack of care/maintenance IMHO. Evil or Very Mad Shocked Rolling Eyes

Edit: While we don't know the whole story (and there could be a really sad/bad back story), it is still sad. If it turns out that my first response is accurate, I stand by my opinion. Cool
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
...the owner should be treated with the same disdain and lack of care/maintenance IMHO. Evil or Very Mad Shocked Rolling Eyes

..or the bike should be whipped away into fostering or adoptive care with good hearted folk (like on this forum!! Smile)
v-pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any contact info? I'm not on Facebook
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in Concorde CA...north of Walnut Creek 94519...Name is Noah Burt...I'll message him on Farcebook for a number or email addie for you...as he didn't put one on the post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bimotamotorcycles/permalink/1436313486486302/?sale_post_id=1436313486486302&rt=11
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and heres his email addie

noahmburt@gmail.com
arsenic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Low mileage DB4 in USA - SLightly dusty Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

For sale on Bimota Motorcycles Facebook page....Some cheaky Italian on there...a DB7 owner...posted this comment

"6000$ for a bike in that state with Bimota down now ? I dont really know how much it's worth in USA but that look very expensive to me..."...

.No wonder Bimota go bump when theres so little support from even their homeland...this bike would have been $20,000 plus when new...and this albeit badly presented pup only has 1000miles on the clock

I'm the cheeky "italian" (im french actually, just with an italian name) DB8 owner.

Sorry if i rustled your feelings but i'm just being realistic, it's not because it was worth 20k€ brand new 20 years ago that we should spend that much money now, that's not how it works.
And we're talking about a Bimota here, if it was any rare but still alive brand, i wouldnt mind that much, but if you have to change anything from the chassis, fairing etc, ANY Bimota parts on the bike (so every parts appart from the engine) it'll be a PAIN in the ass to make your DB4 look brand new again. It's not just a little cleaning, oil and tyres changing and let's ride, it's a bit more than that and it cost quite a bit.

Just for the engine you have to change every gasket, oil, oil filter, every belts, tyres etc...
AND as i attached to my comments, you can find some DB4 for around 8500€ with less than 10 000km on it (wich is almost brand new) and with nothing to do on it, so a way better deal in my humble opinion, but as i said, i don't know about the american market, maybe it's worth more in the US.

And you're still free to pay more than 6000$ to the owner if that's too cheap for you...
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arsenic...I wasn't intentionally "having a go"....most of your comments are quite true...re Bimota values...pain in dealing with them...even when they were still around etc etc...Which is a real shame for what the bikes are...IMHO...far better than factory line Ducatis...and always undervalued for such a small unique brand.

THe DB4 is quite well served for spares.. a Greek company sells all the bodywork either in fibreglass or carbon....I replaced the belly pan on my DB4 with units from them....Forks and suspension can still be serviced...brakes are all brembo...wheels and chain and sprockets can be changed over....electrics are DUcati...as are clocks and indicators...and even footpegs and gear levers are still available (better served for spares than the newer models)...Effectively its "only" the frame and rear swingarm and petrol tank that would be issues in sourcing but if they were needed...then the bike would be written off in effect
I think secretely...I just want someone to rescue it and put it right and on the road again...I don't mind seeing "as new" bikes parked up as art pieces in houses...or used bikes being used...but nearly new bikes rotting away??? That's sacrilege Shocked
arsenic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree with the whole rotting away sentence... it's really a shame for that bike. For any bike i'd even say....

And about everything you said : how much would it cost to do all that ? if you're not a mechanic yourself and do everything to the dealer, i assume it'd cost quite a lot... That's why i wouldnt buy that bike in that state, even brand new, for more than 4000€ when you see the work you'll have to put on it (and the money...) but again, that's just my opinion.

I'm sure someone passionnate enough will make this bike rideable again Smile
fish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this bike was in aust for 6k it would now be in my shed
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's way over-priced - $6000 for a crap Ducati motor in a Mantra frame................ Wink
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the owner, it was his fathers that passed. It was involved in an accident and the panels have been repainted. Some of the front fairing supports are still bent from the accident. He doesn't have the time to work on it, but it has been stored for 10 years.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving aside from the price etc.

I have ridden most Bimota's over the years , and have a few in the garage . Some I like more than others.
The DB4 , in my opinion, is probably the most under rated Bimota ever produced .
Yes it has a 'crap Ducati motor in a mantra frame' , but that is only part of the story . It is a sweat handling , extremely light , 90bhp , 400cc size bike that can embarrass far superior pieces of machinery on twisty roads.
If I had to put my bikes in order of preference the DB4 would be in the top 5 , maybe even the top 3.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
The DB4 , in my opinion, is probably the most under rated Bimota ever produced .If I had to put my bikes in order of preference the DB4 would be in the top 5 , maybe even the top 3.

Would a DB2 be above it in your view?
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
vort28 wrote:
The DB4 , in my opinion, is probably the most under rated Bimota ever produced .If I had to put my bikes in order of preference the DB4 would be in the top 5 , maybe even the top 3.

Would a DB2 be above it in your view?

Do I prefer a db4 over a DB2 , YES .
I actually think the 2 is better looking than the 4.
The 4 is sort of a neutral looking bike, doesn't stand out and can quite easily blend into a crowd . Is this good or bad ? Can be both I think.
Engine performance is similar 2 to 4 but the DB4 is a more comfortable riding position , less weight on arms and wrists , and is of an era were good suspension moved and adsorbed bumps whilst keeping the wheels going where you want, rather an era were good suspension consisted of 10mm movement and free teeth/filing removal Laughing

But that is obviously my point of view and will not probably sit well with some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: