Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Low mileage DB4 in USA - SLightly dusty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is a fair price on the project?
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:

I personally think he's quite asking a fair price at 6k.

It would obviously need a thorough going over. The original fairing on the DB4 is crap quality anyway (except for the seat unit, it's ok) so the fairing damage isn't a big issue. It could either be repaired and repainted or replaced with aftermarket. Perfect Fairings in Greece makes reasonable copies of the DB4 fairing either in fibreglass of carbon fibre.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
v-pilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaguar, you're in my neck of the woods...small world
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Jaguar wrote:

I personally think he's quite asking a fair price at 6k.

It would obviously need a thorough going over. The original fairing on the DB4 is crap quality anyway (except for the seat unit, it's ok) so the fairing damage isn't a big issue. It could either be repaired and repainted or replaced with aftermarket. Perfect Fairings in Greece makes reasonable copies of the DB4 fairing either in fibreglass of carbon fibre.

Service items are to be expected, and cost would vary based on how much of the work one does themselves.

What is the market for a DB4 right now? $12k for a MINT example?
Thing I find interesting about the Bimota market is that prime, original and low mileage bikes seem to sell for huge money, but "riders" come with a fairly large discount.

This DB4 in question will never really be "original" again.
But maybe the rebuild and subsequent improvements will not hurt the value?
Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
Hi Jaguar, you're in my neck of the woods...small world

NICE!

Will have to meet up at a local event some time!
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Moving aside from the price etc.

It is a sweat handling , extremely light , 90bhp , 400cc size bike that can embarrass far superior pieces of machinery on twisty roads.

Really Stuart?

In my experience (and I have ridden both), the DB4 wouldn't hold a candle to a well ridden RGV250 on any road. What "far superior" bikes have you embarrassed?
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:

Really Stuart?

In my experience (and I have ridden both), the DB4 wouldn't hold a candle to a well ridden RGV250 on any road. What "far superior" bikes have you embarrassed?

I would disagree with an RGV250 being better , having also ridden a few in my time but clearly you think of an RGV as I do a DB4.
Some people would say a Harley/BMW GS1200 etc is better than a sports bike , its all personal taste.
I would also say the DB4 is better than my brothers RC45 , but he would not agree with me, but believe me the 45 is pants !! However, lots of people are happy to give 25/30k for an RC 45, which in my eye's is madness as they wont give 6k for a db4 or 8k for an SB6 ??? The world is full of sheep.
Maybe a well ridden RGV could smoke a badly ridden 600 , or a well ridden 600 smoke a thou . Lets face it , Anstey can smoke nearly everyone on a RGV500.
Superior bikes , blades/Gixers/R1's who cares , yes they can paste me down the straights but then I don't want to get the A494 land speed record on a Friday afternoon, so not really bothered . What I do like is reeling them in round the twisties, thats the fun bit to me.
OK , my DB4 is not quite standard and part of the charm is the flatside induction etc but that is not were I came in, it was that the DB4 is an underrated sweet bike that a rate above others.
Clearly you do not , personal taste .
Lets face it 99% of the motorcycle community think we are ALL strange for liking Bimota in the first place Laughing
barnmankit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vort28, I happen to agree with you. This isn't a competition about which bike can beat which other down a twisty road. I've never ridden a db4, or an rgv 250 for that matter, but my DB2 (like the db4 I imagine) is beautifully light, sounds fantastic (with flatslides, k&N filters and carbon cans), fairly comfortable (apart from your arse getting roasted in traffic), exquisitely made, handles and brakes very well for a bike designed in the early 1990s, and is simply overflowing with CHARACTER! And has not got a completely unusable ridiculous amount of horsepower. (And is reliable and cheap to run.) Who could ask for more?
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Lets face it 99% of the motorcycle community think we are ALL strange for liking Bimota in the first place Laughing

I agree !!!!
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
vort28 wrote:

I agree !!!!

Are we not?
v-pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
He's in Concorde CA...north of Walnut Creek 94519...Name is Noah Burt...I'll message him on Farcebook for a number or email addie for you...as he didn't put one on the post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bimotamotorcycles/permalink/1436313486486302/?sale_post_id=1436313486486302&rt=11

Thanks for the info 2bims. I decided to take up the task as I've been in contact with him for some time now and have come to a purchase agreement. quikduc, there is in fact a sad back story on this one. It is being sold by the deceased owners son. He has been gone now for ten years. Apparently a driver cut him off, obviously very early in its life. He went down and it sustained quite a bit of cosmetic damage. It became an occasional project for him to restore it, but he became ill before completion and passed away. 99% of the new replacement parts and invoices are with it as well the original shipping crate, purchase papers and copy of the cashiers check. Since I have a db4 as a reference, restoration should not be too much of a problem. It's on its way to my son's place in southern CA now. I'll look it over when I visit for Thanksgiving and pack up the lose parts to ship back then arrange for the bike to follow.
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear it will be rescued...and will be interesting if you can keep us updated
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot, be sure to keep us posted and don't be too stingy with pics
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
I decided to take up the task

Very Happy Can't wait to see what lies within , it's like an early xmas present !!!!
Whats going to be inside when you get it home and unwrap !! Shocked

Pictures, we love pictures Laughing

( Good on you v-pilot for rescuing a Bimota in need )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: