Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

17'' marvic conversion DB1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: 17'' marvic conversion DB1 Reply with quote

Hey guys
my name is Ezli , i'm 29 years old and live in Holland. and i'm ofcourse an italian bike enthousiast.

I own a DB1 and my plan is to change the Original wheels out for 17 inch marvic streamline wheels.

I already started to measure up some things, but i was wondering if anybody has experience in changing the wheels and has some advice.

cheers.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ezli. There a few db1 owners on here. I think most of them still have stock 16" wheels but I have seen some posts about 17's. I'm sure some one will be able to help.

Probably not too difficult if you've got access to or able to make custom spacers, brackets etc.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the wheels, you can keep the same front discs, calipers etc....rear wheel needs aligning properly, spacers etc..and maybe rear disc changing if bolt fixings are different centres...good news is theres plenty of clearance on the swinging arm for the bigger diameter rear wheel and a bigger tyre if you don't go overboard...On the front though..you would need to spacer out the front mudguard from the brackets atop the fork lowers for clearance..fortunately the forks are RightWayUp...so merely adding washers/spacers would lift it clear..check on body clearance though..See people fit 17inch MArvics, 3 and five spokes...Lots of DB1's in Japan..most with 17inch conversions...But..even though I have a DB1...I've ket the original wheels on it...would like to change though...if only to raise it off the ground a bit...they are teeny tiny bikes....
Welcome to the FOrum by the way...Very young for a DB1...good on ya...we need new blood on here...most of us only have blood with coarse medication added to it to keep it flowing.... Laughing
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above but one thing you have to be mindful of is the chain run. My understanding is the chain run is slightly offset in original DB1 format. This can be fixed by either fitting a front sprocket with a stepped offset to make sure the chain lines up or fitting a lay shaft (output shaft) from a PASO as these were longer that the F1 equivalent and specifically designed to provide a straight chain run with the 160/60/16 rear tyre.

If you do convert to 17" rims and go to a 180 tyre say you may be looking at having to push the chain out to clear the extra width of the tyre. This will result in having to push the front sprocket further out if you want a straight chain run.

I've used bits from Bevel Heaven who seem to have a good selection of front sprockets in coarse and fine pitch splines to suit most applications. You may want to consider a 520 (from 530) chain conversion at the same time and save a bit of weight.

If you look at the sprockets for the Laguna Seca and Santa Monica you will see they are recessed on the boss portion to push the teeth out further to cope with the 16" wheel of the later 750 F1's (The 750F1 engine being the donor engine for the DB1)

https://store.bevelheaven.com/Chain-Sprockets-page-2/

Cheers
Ezli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reactions guys, I rook the wheels out and measured some stuff up and compared IT to the drawings I got of marvic, like you say I have to make some spacers but thats nog a big problem since I have a lathe at home. Yes im a bit Young for these bikes but for me this is the only stuff that trips my switch haha. I guess I was born to late. Also own a Ducati tt1(build myself with a 900cc engine) and a Moto Guzzi griso for the roadtrips going abroad.
Cheers and ill keep you lot up tot date as soon as i have the wheels.
Rascal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ezli,

I had made some "penta style 5 spoke" magnesium wheels from marvic, these fit straight in with original spacers etc, i machined up a different disc carrier to suit a smaller diameter rear disc ( 210mm rather than 260mm) and a subsequent hanger bracket to fit.
There is a delay to get them made ( italians!) but they are retro fit, i only run a 170 rear tyre on a 5.5" rim and no issues with chain alignment, although i run a 520 rather than the original 530.
Cheers,

Russell
DB1 860

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a 17in conversion using early model Monster wheels,
that enabled me to use brembo rotors and calliper's and a standard 520 sprocket and coush drive.
theirs a photo of it in the registry, bike no. DB1-405
Ezli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply (been almost a year)
Well I got a pair of second hand 17'' marvic streamline wheels and fitted them to the bike but now I don't know if I should drive it like this because of all the horror stories I hear about magnesium wheels.
Since I have a pair of ducati wheels as mentioned by DB1 860, I think i'll fit these on the bike and throw the marvics on my TT2 project bike for now. but thanks for all the advise.
cheers
Ezli
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: