Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7 check Engine light
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number2 wrote:
I will head to my local Ducati dealer. Is there an option for replacing the Walbro system?

Some people have replaced the injection system with that from a Ducati 1098...and then use Ducati ECU...and clocks....all from a "crashed" 1098....but evidently cost of changing connecters and wiring up to exisiting lights, switchgear, controls, lights etc etc....Not everything on a Bimota is in the same place as on the Ducati.....same engine different frame etc etc...so electric wiring loom is different to reach to different locations of ECu, battery, Reg/rec etc etc...The Walbro ECU's are usually fine and no problems...its other ancillary stuff like the Ducati supplied Starter motors or the relays etc etc that cause issues...and known warranty issues with Ducati (bad batch of starter motors on 1098 motors....followed onto the DB7)...I've had issues with starter motor solenoid...Ducati fitted...but its a Japanese Nippon unit...try the simple stuff first
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out....one of the relays is for the Fuel pump...which If faulty could cause all the issues you have mentioned....so maybe a quick and cheap fix...do you have the Workshop manual for the DB7?
Number2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have an online version of the manual. I do not think it is a fuel pump problem since I did get the bike to start and run one time. Not real smooth and it would not idle right. Since then no luck
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "known issue" on the TPS...throttle position sensor that Ducati fitted on the 1098...another recall issue with the bikes if it failed....not much use with Bimotas though...never really had warranties with the bikes....DB7 now being 10 years old also....the manufacturer always leaving it solely down to the poor dealer who supplied the bike in the first place.....The one previous dealer for Bimota in the UK had this issue...having to repair for free with no input or cash back from Bimota...
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the Forum...there is Bob Steinbugler of Bimota Spirit...based in Ralieigh North Carolina....so USA wise...hes about as close as you could be......He is on hols in Italy at the moment though...but he does have the ECU software and computer and cable etc etc
Spongebob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ducati 999 which did the same. On the Ducati holding down the left hand button on the dash when switching the ignition on will display the error code from the ECU. Google then gives you what the error code relates to. Mine was a crank sensor based on an error code 34.0. Forgive me if this is complete bollox on a DB....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately....the Clocks on DB5/6/7/8/9/10/11/DBX are Koso clocks branded as Bimota...and not very sophisticated .....low fuel warning light...engine management light...and service requirement light are the only warning lights really...other than low oil pressure...and no "codes" given out by the ECU to the clocks....the software programme and connecting cable is needed for that
Number2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the bike to run long enough to figure out the front cylinder is not firing. The exhaust is not getting hot. With these ecu bikes I am not sure where to start. Obviously it has to be fuel or spark but there are so many components which require some kind of diagnostic equipment
brian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number2 wrote:
I got the bike to run long enough to figure out the front cylinder is not firing. The exhaust is not getting hot. With these ecu bikes I am not sure where to start. Obviously it has to be fuel or spark but there are so many components which require some kind of diagnostic equipment

Don't mean to harp on here, but have you checked all of the easy stuff above? Plugs, connectors, battery, battery leads, grounds
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull the front plug after running it? If it was wet then yeh fuel is getting in...but plug not firing....And you can then check if plug is sparking by grounding it out on the engine and cranking it over
mick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DB7 had the same problems as you, changed the battery, battery leads, plugs , coils, fuel pump, relay and checked the starter solenoid, I even bought the diagnostic leads and located a company with the necessary equipment !

Solution was a new starter motor, it took so much power to turn over the engine there was very little left to fire the engine, flooding the front cylinder.
The bike had only done 2000 miles but was out of warranty, turns out that Ducati were aware of the problem !!!
I put a new starter motor and a new sprag clutch in for good measure, it now starts first time.
Number2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the plug and based on my limited experience with reading plugs it did not appear to be wet. I messed with the injector plug and made sure it was tight, same with the coil lead and put it all back together. Behold it now lives. I guess it was a bad connection somewhere. Will see if it last
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It maybe "new skool".... With an ecu.....but its quite basic....all the essentials of it being a bike are the same still....so stick to usual checks....duc engines are vibey...hence things can work loose.... Had a ducati 750ssie once....one sunny day...the rear cylinder went awol....checked lots....unplugged one connector and like a cupful of water fell out....dried it all off and cleaned corrosion that had built up....sorted...turns out the connector that fits only one way to a tab on the frame....was fitted upside down...and thus used to fill up when raining or washing....happened on every bike they made of that m9del...
Number2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike just went past it's scheduled service of 12400 miles and I am wondering if the light is telling me there is a service due. Anyone have enough mileage on their bike to have had this happen
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then service light on the KOSO clocks (the red spanner)...is only guided by the mileage and not the ECU feed...it first comes on at 1,000....roughly 670miles...for first oil and filter change...and then again at the scheduled service intervals in the handbook....it is a simple unit...only guided by pure mileage that the clocks cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: