Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 steering stabilizer - please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcolion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: YB11 steering stabilizer - please help Reply with quote

I am hoping owners of YB11 can help me out. After going thru a thorough refreshening/restoration I got the bike fully assembled and was hoping to take it for shakedown run today. Unfortunately it didn't happened. I realized that I can turn the wheel all the way to the left but barely to the right. I quickly discovered that the problem is a position of the steering stabilizer bracket on the fork. I spent about an hour trying to find a perfect position that would allow full turn from one steering bump stop to another. Unfortunately my time was spent for nothing and I could not determine a correct position of the bracket.

Basically if I adjust it one way the I can turn it all the way to the right but when starting to turn to the left stabilizer starts pushing on the plastic no the steering won't turn unless I force it but then I could brake left side upper and middle fairing. The stress goes right into connection of the upper and midfiring. If I adjust it so that turn all the way to the left bump stop then I can't turn it to the right because stabilizer either hits the fork or the headlight.

I would highly appreciate a few pics showing the postion of stabilizer bracket.

Please help!!!

Thank you in advance
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always tricky getting the damper in the right position if you haven't marked/taken piccies of the way it used to be.....seen it on a few bims where on left lock the damper rod end is pushing the fairing and breaking the paint/fibreglass etc....

I am assuming you have the standard fitted factory Bimota damper?

The damper rod itself needs an 8x20mm bolt to fix it to the deep beam spar frame LHS beneath the tank.....and then the damper unit body has an alloy clamp on it...which should be around a 1/3rd the way up the damper body itself...working from the now fixed end of the rod on the frame......

The damper body bracket than bolts to the elliptical shaped bracket via a 6x20mm bolt and washer...this bracket is captive around the LHS fork tube...just above the lower yoke.....when the steering is straight dead ahead...this bracket should be around 1 to 2 o'clock when looking at it if sat on the bike....This elliptical bracket...milled from alloy....is held captive via a 5 x 30mm bolt.....and then adjuster end of the rod controlling the level of damping should then be visible inside the nose fairing so that it can be adjusted without removing the fairing....something not done on some other bimotas...grrghh....Only pictures I have are here...and mine had been replaced with an Ohlins unit....all a bit trial and error I'm afraid...but the further that the elliptical clamp bracket is pointing straight ahead....this shortens the rod moving length...stopping it hitting the fairing on left lock full turn....its always left lock turn that causes an issue

Correction Correction....been so long....adaptor bracket mounting point 10 or 11 o'clock....damper goes on LHS of Left forkleg I believe???

Roy Yarrows stripped down YB11..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bimota+yb11&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CfNstOo-A7u8IjgD-9fj_1vJe50uFvp9SGbT10Kbx_1jcI_1sEItMGmh_1BesTRsd_1zmclT6zfv_1HJ-LkDyMfacz_1JiRmyoSCQP71-P-8l7nEQHsUEnRnz7qKhIJS4W-n1IZtPURy2Wj-_1lXdjMqEgnQpvH-Nwj-wRExJbrB5rLUEyoSCQi0waaH8F6xEYPGtc_1dhA-RKhIJNGx3_1OZyVPoRJcjMoyT2zxkqEgnN-_18cn4uQPBExJbrB5rLUEyoSCYx9pzP8mJGbEWMbJXt8J5HH&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD4sev-9HWAhXPaVAKHTSuCH4Q9C8IHw&biw=1366&bih=651&dpr=1#imgrc=82y06j4Du7zDOM:

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Falcolion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims,

Thank you very much for pics and the link to Roy's bike. The picture below perfectly shows the vertical location of damper bracket. Roy's bike definitely showed me that my damper was installed/clamped incorrectly by a previous owner. So I moved the damper within a clamp exactly as 2bims specified 2/3 or I would even say 3/4 of the way towards the front. Played around with minute adjustments and now it's perfect. No binding on ether side. Steering turns all the way to steering bump stops on both sides left and right. And the best part when turned to the left damper has about 3-5 mm of spacing between damper body and the fairing.

Roy Yarrows stripped down YB11..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bimota+yb11&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CfNstOo-A7u8IjgD-9fj_1vJe50uFvp9SGbT10Kbx_1jcI_1sEItMGmh_1BesTRsd_1zmclT6zfv_1HJ-LkDyMfacz_1JiRmyoSCQP71-P-8l7nEQHsUEnRnz7qKhIJS4W-n1IZtPURy2Wj-_1lXdjMqEgnQpvH-Nwj-wRExJbrB5rLUEyoSCQi0waaH8F6xEYPGtc_1dhA-RKhIJNGx3_1OZyVPoRJcjMoyT2zxkqEgnN-_18cn4uQPBExJbrB5rLUEyoSCYx9pzP8mJGbEWMbJXt8J5HH&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD4sev-9HWAhXPaVAKHTSuCH4Q9C8IHw&biw=1366&bih=651&dpr=1#imgrc=82y06j4Du7zDOM:[/quote]

Thanks a million
Vlad
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: