Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Santa Monica bodywork and tank stolen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickmain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Santa Monica bodywork and tank stolen Reply with quote

Hello, got a Santa Monica that had fallen over in my driveway. I had met a painter that had some great idea's about re-doing it in a custom fashion, while still retaining the stock look and feel. It's been three months now that he's had it, along with the 50% down cash money on the job, and no show or replies and has disappeared. This includes my fuel tank. Anyone out there heard of anyone selling or talking about something like this? Got a bare bones, great running bike in my living room that constantly reminds me of it.
Rick in Las Vegas.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats shit ... have you called the cops ?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a raw deal....and I'll bet the painter has Zero idea how difficult that bodywork is to come by......There is a man in Italy who is selling off a whole SB8R set of bodywork, tank and air intake tubes....seat unit and fairings...but its for an R and not a K...not sure of the differences...........
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

That is total SH!T .

What makes it worse is the fact that the painter probably is not aware how rare this stuff is , so basically is worthless on the open market as he would be incriminating himself trying to sell it.

Hopefully if you put the word out in enough biking forums/clubs it my ' turn up ' . Hopefully.
rickmain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it's total shit. I think he really intended to do the paint job, and had really cool idea's and definitely knew what he was doing, but I believe he's wrapped up in the "snow white" drug scene right now and doesn't have his right mind on his shoulders at the moment.
I have no choice but to wait. I've done some checks on him, contacted people he knows, where he's worked, etc. My next step is to hire a PI and get him tracked down and cornered. If the parts are gone, he's in for a law suit.

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but the cops here in the US are about worthless for anything other than drug deal stings (entrapment) and tell you straight to your face on things like this that it's a "civil case" and they can't do anything, but I may give it a try anyways.

Keep your ears on if anyone is trying to sell something like this, or you hear of a body set and tank up for sale. I'd prefer to go with the carbon tank this time. I have the steel one and always thought that was dumb. Probably was a government mandated thing to import them to the US.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all a bit pants matey....but yeh...Da police would be the same over here.....only "important" crime to spend time on.....I think I know someone who has a tank or can get you one....carbon....Bodywork??????????Jeeso...they only made 75 Santa/Gobert models so ....well not much I can say there....other than tracing your bloke and the bits...has to be easier and not so much cheaper...but possibly the only alternative to get what you had again....SB8R bodywork you can get and I know someone with a full set and tank for sale....but its air ducts into tank etc...it just aint a Santa look.....Oh...yeh...Plastic and Carbon tanks were not US compliant from the 80's to the 00's in the USA...until someone pointed out that Porsches all had plastic tanks....so statutes changed......but then you have different laws in different states....
rickmain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did some searching online for addresses and phone numbers and found what I was hoping was his dads address in Florida. Took a chance and wrote a note and sent a snail mail letter to him. Low and behold about a week later his dad calls me and tells me he knows where the bodywork is in Florida and is getting it all and is going to ship it out to me. He's dropping it off at the UPS packing store and will have them get a hold of me to pay for packing and shipping costs.
Phew, that isn't going to be cheap, but am I relieved that those parts might just be coming home!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like perseverance and "eternal hope" will pay off...and cost of postage a minor issue to get returned items of "unobtainium"...will keep my fingers crossed
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it works for you.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Wow what a story, hope you got your stuff back OK. I don't know where you live but would it be easier for you to go get the stuff.
Good luck
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo Girotti of BCP actualy has a spare set of fairings for the Santa Monica bike...but I dont think he has the Tank/seat unit

You have to bear in mind...Bimota only made 10 models in total of the Santa Monica and Gobert Replica SB8's....so bodywork, spare ones....its amazing that anyone has a spare set
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick, now that everyone here is rooting for you and watching the thread with a baited breath, whats the conclusion? Did you get all your stuff back?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: