Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New brake lines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpo83

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: New brake lines Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of fixing and updating the brakes on my YB5.

I have purchased new Brembo RCS Brake and Clutch master cylinders, full rebuild kits for the front and rear calipers, the last thing i need to do is replace the rubber brake lines.

I'm trying to decide if i should keep the single front line to the distribution block, or run separate lines to each caliper directly from the master... For those of you who have updated, what have you done, and if you were to do it again, would you change anything???

I'm thinking of fitting Venhill lines, thay allow the fitting to rotate to fit neatly, it adds an addition junction, but from what i've read, this doesn't create any negative issues... Have any of you used venhill, what are your thoughts???

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I used the following guys when I rebuilt my DB1.

http://www.helperformance.com

Ordered everything online, great service and no issues. You are able to rotate the banjo fitting so at to get the best possible alignment.
On a personal note I would retain the original line layout, but it is your bike Very Happy

Good luck, Paul
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the set up of the existing line on the front brake?......Bimota normally take one line in braided SS and fit to an alloy T piece and then one line to ech caliper....those T pieces only have the line crimped on in like Die cast metal and they are know to perish and drop off....losing all front brakes ....DB1 is different in that one line runs down to the lower yoke and a banjo is fitted on the front face of the lower yoke...internally within the lower yoke Bimota drilled 2 lines splitting off to the back of the yoke where 2 more banjo bolts were fitted and one line down to one caliper each side....very neat...and way way over the top and probably heavier than fitting a T piece...but nice engineering anyhow..........Just please please ensure its braided Ss lines with clear colourless acrylic coating...don't be swayed by red/bue/dayglow pink coloured lines......and stick with new SS Banjo bolts and not tacky anodised alloy ones...but then its your bike.........Hel or Venhill...both make lines to order with appropriate lengths and bends and angles as required....just check on clearance Lock to lock with your nose fairing and the Brake master and reservoir pots......early bims had squished nose cones and minimal clearance for res pots and changed masters/levers etc...but than again...I'm not so familiar with the YB5.......
rpo83

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

Steve, it sounds like the YB5 has a setup like the DB1, but i need to have a good look. At the moment the lines are just standard rubber.. And to put your mind at ease, i'll be going for black ss lines Smile and no anodised bolts...

I have been told that as i'm fitting radial master to axial calipers, i'll need specific custom lines or the venhills...

I have purchased some billet reservoirs anodised black, they are about 40mm in diameter, so it should be nice and discrete when fitted..

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: YB5 masters Reply with quote

RCS are a great choice Steve - really give a much better feel at the lever than was available from either Yamaha or Brembo at the time. Do be careful to get the right size clutch master versus the slave.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my master to a radial brembo 19/20. I used the original lines like yours a single to a spliter and dual ... a 3 line kit.
The difficulties with a radial is the banjo is on the bottom of the master cylinder but you can fit a converter (like this on ebay 162704311470).
I also have an hydraulic light switch ... theyre a bit course so the light might not come on with very light braking.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

As to replacing a 3 line setup with 2 line setup (sometimes called race style), not keen. Means ensuring that you have a route for both lines that is safe to the master cylinder. And braided lines deflect less easily than rubber lines so are more prone to damage when they do rub (doesn't help that the structural bit is on the outside).

If it does run this can happen (line was less than a year old):-

They are used on race bikes as the race rules mandate no joins below the bottom yoke.

All the best

Katy
DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven

Looking at the spare parts manual the YB5 run the same lower triple clamp as the DB1 with the brake line entering at the front of the clamp and exiting at the rear/side
I updated my lines for the second time using Venhill powerhouse plus, they have a large range of colours and sizes, increasing each time by 25mm, you fit your desired stainless banjo, and all available at Kenma's here in Sydney

Gerald
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i think i'll keep the original setup.

Gerald, how have you found your Venhill lines, are you happy with them? Why did you update a 2nd time??

Steve

DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with them and the Sydney supplier, the reason I updated was that I wanted a more consistent set of lines,[ as I had three different sets] and something I could adjust to fit. the colour I went for was carbon which is a dark charcoal colour, I felt that black was to dark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: