Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

2003 Kawasaki KDX220 Restoration....ahem...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
2bims wrote:
."other" mates...almost implying that I have any at all.....

Don't be like that 2bims, I'm sure one of your mates will pop up on the forum soon and give moral support and a shoulder to cry on !! Crying or Very sad

There , There . Very Happy

You got yo' huddy ready ?

No worries Vort...I've got my mate PaulDB2 down there for the weekend....Glyn aka Vincent KB1 down tomorrow...and the boys from Duc Mcr also.....Despite my antics last year...they don't seem to have banned me...although I did change helmets, gloves and jackets each time I rode thru the gate...incognito.Big presence from the dealers this year...Honda have taken our space from last year....and BMW have trumped them with a bigger space and what looked like 40 beemers...I didn't know they had so many in their range.....
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day of the Show over.......Friday was set up day...a bigger showing this year from all the Main Dealers and a return for a few no shows like BMW and KTM.......Less clubs this year...less returnees.......a few bespoke coffee, ice cream and sandwich shops....so it wasn't just offerings of a portion of chips that you can number on 2 hands...and pastie for a tenner...or such....although they were there again.....Doors opened for traders this morning at 6.30am...and I was down there...so took a few photos prior to Joe Public turning up....so the place does look empty...coz main doors don't open until 9.30am....by which time I had been around the whole place with uninterrupted access and no barging into folk

Anyhow....KDX220 was complete and I had a hoot terrorising the streets and riding it down there on Friday...cant get used to this "no ignition" key thingie...so much so...that when I took my sons DT125R down later...I left the keys in the barrel for a good few hrs....Oh dear...old and forgetful...hopefully I don't start doing that with my bimotas!!!!

KDX220 first...coz you've all been so patient...and as luck would have it....Invoice for headlight was received this Friday...meaning its now in stock awaiting my payment before they send it out

I'll start up a new thread of the Manchester bike Show...to keep this KDX thread "clean"...under Bimota Events...as there was one or 2 bimotas down there...including....One for sale!!!!!!!!
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the restoration 2bims! The little Kwaka looks fully sick Cool .

As always your attention to detail is second to none. Hopefully you'll get a buyer while it's at the show and the fruits of your labour will pay off.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I was there on Saturday. Kept a look out for you but didn't see you (did see the KDX - with its for sale sign!).

I arrived by 2 stroke as well. Wandered along on my TZR250. Only 2 stroke I saw in the parking area.

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw for chrusts sake and Jeeso.....Soz I missed you I would have appreciated a catch up Katy...i did message you about the event...and had spare tickets also....but more limited than usual with just 3 of my bikes down there....but one would have had your name on it....I was down there at 7am on Sat morning...but gone by 1pm.....as I wasn't running the stand so didn't feel the need to be on it all day....and was down there today from just 2pm to 5pm for breakdown and removal...was kinda nice....gotta see a lot of stuff and folk...and not chat Bimota all the time....except for the Vdue of course....And Norbo, who runs the 2-stroke stand used the very words "we're going Bimota this year...and letting people into the stand and around the bikes...as he was given the biggest plot he ever had...and was short of a few bikes and had to space them out......I was also ducking and diving a lot to stay out of the organisers way since being banned last year....and was incognito...turning up in different helmets, jacket gloves etc as I took each bike down...it was quite fun to see the show for a change...and far less exhausting....but there was a lot of the clubs missing this year...but more biker related stands than previously....really really sorry I missed you...I hope you jumped aboard the Kwacker or DT or Vdue......Sibag was there today from the Forum...whos still got his fluorescent dayglow gotta wear shades SB6....Mick who provided the DB7 Oro Nero and DBX crosser last year popped down also...and Andy G who provided the Picnic table SB4 and DB3 last year also...PaulDB2 was there with his DB1...thanks Paul for the help over the weekend....Oh and Glynn was there who provided the KB1 last year also...so a lot of Bimota bores and buffs down there...just not all together or at the same time....thanks guys for showing up and keeping me chatting.....My son was at home and poorly also....hence not a full attendance from me...although he was made up when I took his new Carbon Fibre Crosser new lid home to him...I said try it for 5mins and tell me if your heads busting......4 hrs later he came down from his man pit and he was still wearing it.....Got him some goggles and gloves today to match his DT125R

My ex was down there also...as she is every year...it was the show where i first met her....she used to have a KDX....so I knew she would be interested in it and see it straight away, green bright thing that it is...she works on the Suzuki stand each year....so I threw a blank "4 SALE" numberplate on it....for her to ask people on the stand whos is it?...and wheres the owner??....the folk on the stand didn't know her or know me...other than HaHa...my log-on name on their Forum....kept me amused...like putting a 4 sale sign on Pauls Db1....teehee...you gotta have a laugh haven't ya??...I did get a few phone numbers that they wrote down and passed onto me from folk...but no-one made an offer...How would you price such a thing???????
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I saw her, as she recognised me from last year.

I got there around 12:30. M6 traffic was a pain on the way, so did a significant amount of filtering on the way, and I am out of practice at that, especially on narrow lanes.

Other than an ice cream I didn't buy anything.

KDX looked good.

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I missed her on both days...but was happy to find a few other folk...was the ice cream from the VW bus?...I always pack my own food and drink...just so I am never disappointed by the quality/quantity/price at that event....although evidently don't do the same everywhere...restaurants and hotels get upset when I try

Bought a few things...as there was far more biker related stuff on sale than before...New renthals grips for Kwacka were a tenner cheapest on ebay...at the show...£6.99...need some for the DB5R so bought them...new carbon lid for my son...sale or return..bought Saturday..fitted him a treat...new gloves to match KDX....tried for a new carbon crosser lid for me for KDX...with green and white flashes...but fat head felt like it was getting fatter in 20 seconds of wearing it...GET it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Now!!!!!!!!!!...New deep rubber sponge mat for garage floor when I'm grovelling around under a bike...old one very dog eared and coated with all manner of bike fluids.....goggles also on the Sunday coz the skid lid fitted my son....must be more but cant think Laughing
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think so with the ice cream. Was nice. Needed it to cool down with all my bike gear. Wasn't too bad until I chatted to Revs Racing (suspension people) who had a lot of lights on their stand.

Katy
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katy, I agree it was pretty warm on the Revs suspension stand and I wasn't wearing any bike gear! If the organisers lit Hall 3 better then maybe the stands wouldn't some many lights (heat sources). Pity me and Steve missed you.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a textile jacket on, and textile over trowsers, with kevlar lined leggings underneath. Was warm for the journey but a tad hot in the hall.

I had a nice cool down sit on a stand later.

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....KDX/aka/Kermits new face arrived the day after the end of the bike show.....so I've been down to Hobbycraft to get my gloss white sticky back plastic "number board" sheeting....and its now on the headlight shroud,,,,cut out with new scalpel bought at same time....so If anyone needs any surgery doing...I'm fully kitted out to assist....Have lump hammer for anesthesia...and molegrips for Forceps....all set to go

Kermits OLD face....with Yellow backing sheet (old unit had snapped on RHS and lots of bondo to make it "whole" again.

And Kermits new face...Hobbycraft even had the correct font stencil kit for Kawasaki logos....So with much time and patience....letters drawn onto masking tape applied over vinyl....and with no one bothering me for an hour or so...Voila!....Kawasaki letters skilfully cut out of white vinyl sheet to uncover Kwacker Green plastic below (Code Lime Green 7F)

Just 4 bolts to whip off tomorrow and connect new fitting...which is identical to old one...except not broken and glued back together (as of writing...)

I even fitted a "false" bolt beneath the unit as a faux headlight adjustment screw....just for authenticity....
brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, looks good
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Serious patience to cut that logo out (and I have a pile of the scalpels).

Katy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job matey - all that Blue Peter experience paid off at last
Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Hiya

Serious patience to cut that logo out (and I have a pile of the scalpels).

Katy

cheers....I actually forked out for a proper scalpel this time...rather than the cheap set from Poundland...world of difference...blade clicks firmly in place...and mighty sharp...maybe just need to trim the bottom edge of the s a littlemore....But as in the days I used to be an artist, watercolours etc etc...pen and ink.....its always best to say your finished JUST when you think it could be improved a little more....as that point forward can ruin matters..nothing in life is perfect....and anything done by hand/human shouldn't be so...good adage for every day life
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: