Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB7 - How do you remove the front fairing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
micic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: YB7 - How do you remove the front fairing Reply with quote

Bought a non running YB7, trying to go through it and see if I can get her running but I am struggling with removing the front fairing. I have removed all fasteners on top (4 bolts) and the front triangular piece that is under the radiator and split the bottom of the fairing, but I can't see how to pull the fairing off. I am not comfortable with exerting a lot of force on the fairing but it doesn't seem that it will clear the forks/wheel to be pulled forward and it doesn't seem it will clear the engine and handlebars to be pulled up.

It is free and it moves but I can't figure out how to remove it short of removing the front wheel but I have no idea how to support the bike if I remove the front wheel other than hanging it by the triple clamp.

Help would be appreciated!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teehee Teehee....welcome to the world of Bimota ownership and one piece "calm shell" fairings....and the reason why they mostly have gel cracks in the lacquer coat......You are right in your assumptions...it has to be prised open and dragged forward and past the front wheel

Most of up lay a spare piece of carpet or old rug on the floor...and a splinter of wood....Bike is pushed forward onto rug and front wheel on the splinter to raise it slightly off the ground...then put the rear wheel up in the air using a paddock stand though the rear spindle if you can...using a piece of steel rod if you don't have the original bimota packing crate stand.....then...find friend if its your first time....and prise open the fairing at the bottom where it splits and guide forward and under the front wheel....piece of wood narrower than the front tyre....carpet there to stop the belly pan scratching on the ground.

Some folk winch the front end up from the yokes using an overhead beam in their garage...I've used heavy duty step ladders in the past positioned over the bike and winched the yokes up from the ladder rungs perpendicular to the tank/engine....You do have to be kind of brutal,....but the fairing is fibreglass so wont snap like if it was plastic
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...disconnect indicators at front of course
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not "so familiar" with YB7...on my DB2 I can remove fairing with the screen inplace...even though when dropping down it sort of touches the clocks...I like to keep the screen inplace so that it keeps the strength/integrity around the fairing in that area....if the space is tight...maybe remove the screen
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamite ?
micic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps, I like the idea of the small piece of wood lifting the front wheel. I was thinking about removing the front wheel and supporting the bike from the upper triple but my garage is dry walled and I don't have exposed beams and would require effort, I also thought about borrowing an engine hoist and using that. Thanks for your reply.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abba used to make a "front lift". It's a hockey stick shape and fits under the exhaust pipes to lift the front wheel - I use one on my SB6. They've replaced them with the Front Lift Arm whick goes onto the superbike stand
https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=42
who

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Dynamite ?

Chainsaw works well?

Put the front wheel up onto a narrow block.

A Mate a few beers and it is off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: