Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Bimota Owner in the US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcolion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly,

Congrats on the ultimate Bimota. Try Progressive insurance. I got all my bikes insured thru them.

Are you in Indiana?
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
Knolly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Janus bikes cost just under the equivalent of £5000. If you compare it to a Honda 250 it might seem pricey, but for something unique and handbuilt I don't think it's too bad at all.

Geekay that Suzuki looks great! I bet it's loads of fun.

Yep, I'm located in Northeast Indiana. I did see Progressive would give me liability coverage for fairly cheap but I'd feel so much better with some kind of coverage on the bike. But if the alternative is not riding the Bimota... well, I'm willing to risk it!

My bikes are in a secure garage with fire suppression in a gated auto storage facility so no real worries there. Heck, I'm probably safe because I have the cheapest toys in my garage there. A gentleman a few garages down from me collects Mclarens and currently has the holy trinity sitting in his garage (P1, 918, and LaFerrari). Compared to that, a few bikes is small time, haha.

The MV is a fantastic bike but unfortunately is looking for a new home. I had blown my budget buying an H2R but couldn't pass up a Tesi, so the MV wound up on the chopping block!

The weather is finally warming up here and I can't be any more excited for 2018. I wound up getting my two dream bikes at the same time. H2R as a track bike and Tesi 3D as a street bike. This'll be a great year for riding!
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Knolly on a great purchase (hi Tirefriar and 2bims!!)

Been out a bit with work, robotics competitions and...the flu of sorts so haven't been able to chime in too much.

Try Geico and Progressive Insurance. When I had my built 750ss, I used a broker, got an appraisal statement of actual replacement value from a local Ducati shop and got a "stated value" insurance policy. If anything bad happened, the full cost of replacing the bike based on the appraisal would be paid without exception.

These policies are not necessarily the cheapest but knowing the original purchase price of the Tesi 3D and how few are around or available, it might be the best choice.

Personally I'd do the same for the H2R.

Regards
Knolly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’m currently in Kyoto and something I saw out of a cab made me do a double take. Check this out:
https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260302/26017276/

It’s a small restaurant called Bimota with an identical logo. I didn’t get to stop by but from searching online it seems there is some motorcycle gear around the shop. Has anyone heard of this?

quikduk wrote:
Congratulations Knolly on a great purchase (hi Tirefriar and 2bims!!)

Been out a bit with work, robotics competitions and...the flu of sorts so haven't been able to chime in too much.

Try Geico and Progressive Insurance. When I had my built 750ss, I used a broker, got an appraisal statement of actual replacement value from a local Ducati shop and got a "stated value" insurance policy. If anything bad happened, the full cost of replacing the bike based on the appraisal would be paid without exception.

These policies are not necessarily the cheapest but knowing the original purchase price of the Tesi 3D and how few are around or available, it might be the best choice.

Personally I'd do the same for the H2R.

Regards

Thanks! I believe Progressive will do stated value coverage (I got a quote from them the last time I almost bought a Tesi 3D), but it was outlandish to me (I think $5000 a year). I agree it’s worth protecting an investment, but that is just silly to me.

Once I get a VIN for my H2R build I’m going to start poking around. I can only hope my current insurer will cover it since they give such fantastic coverage.
Beldrueger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Knolly. I’ve used both Geico and currently Allstate on my Tesi 3D. If your driving record is clean, insurance should be totally affordable.
Knolly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked her up today!!!

Also apparently my insurance company had a change of heart and gave me full coverage for about $400 a year, so I'll be a lot more comfortable putting a lot of miles on this thing!

I haven't gotten a first ride in but it'll be soon!
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears "strangely familiar".............teehee..........All fully loaded with every extra and bespoke piece that Bimota could throw at it at the time....Bimota cast and branded Brembo calipers front and rear...Carbon tie rods.....Oz racing wheels...Bimota branded and stamped brembo Front discs....Squishy carbon Zard end cans.....Bimota branded laser etched Accossato Race levers...carbon engine and belt covers.

There also seems to be one of the gold "historic register" circular "vin tags" on the RHS Omega plate....close up needed please.....An Italian Journalist "Fernando Felli" was/is the originator of these....selling them to Bimota owners and numbering each one individually per model of Bimota...

He was one of the 3 No. Journalists who, in 1997, rode 3 No. Bimota Vdues from "Island to Island"....a trip of over 3,000kms from Sicily to the Isle of Man....Giorgio Sarti (Author of the Bible - 25 Years of Bimota excellence) was one of the other riders.......

Main story of this here

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4173&start=0

Now.....its time to get her serviced, belts changed if not done so already/recently....and time to start asking all those questions of what needs doing to sort it and get it right....teehee....Lovely...and congrats on the purchase and Insurance quote
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Knolly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That island to island story is great!

I don’t have a close up handy (will grab one soon) of the plate but I know it says AMERICA and this bike is numbered 5. That’s too funny, I had assumed it was a stock Bimota part.

After spending more time going over the bike I’ve noticed a few scuffs here and there that I didn’t know about but hey, it’s a 10 year old bike. Things will happen. In a weird way I prefer that it’s not absolutely perfect condition since then I’d be afraid to ride it. Just some scuffs near the footpegs, paint finish defects on tank (probably due to ethanol expansion), and the wheels seem to be slightly not color matched. Nothing huge and it doesn’t damper my appreciation or love for this bike one bit!

Service is definitely happening soon. I live in a dead zone of Italian bike dealers so I have to haul it 3-4 hours but it’ll be worth it!
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice.......
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me while I drool

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knolly wrote:
That island to island story is great!

I don’t have a close up handy (will grab one soon) of the plate but I know it says AMERICA and this bike is numbered 5. That’s too funny, I had assumed it was a stock Bimota part.

After spending more time going over the bike I’ve noticed a few scuffs here and there that I didn’t know about but hey, it’s a 10 year old bike. Things will happen. In a weird way I prefer that it’s not absolutely perfect condition since then I’d be afraid to ride it. Just some scuffs near the footpegs, paint finish defects on tank (probably due to ethanol expansion), and the wheels seem to be slightly not color matched. Nothing huge and it doesn’t damper my appreciation or love for this bike one bit!

Service is definitely happening soon. I live in a dead zone of Italian bike dealers so I have to haul it 3-4 hours but it’ll be worth it!

Ah yes....the "old mis-match Oz racing wheels".....Forged ally wheels, then anodised methinks.....the mis-match means its been used.....for some reason....I know not why.....they start off the same colour....but with use and either from radiated heat from the front discs...or brake pad fly-off....the front discolours to less shiney than the front over time....its good its started already....as you can now use it....paint finish on the ascerbis plastic tanks is not as good as bimota used to do on the 2005 and on models.....the carbon bodywork is great paint...but the paint on the tank being plastic not so....And so the Bimota ownership begins....Any Ducati dealer should be able to service it....they CAN change the belts without removing the omega plates....oil and filter simple enough...and even replacing the battery is fairly simple.....Cleaning the airbox/changing the filter (the stock item is pants and doesnt seal well) is a tank off jobbie....theres a 4 screw lid on top of the airbox to gain access...after tank is removed....But...I'm sure you'll be back to ask questions...like how to disconnect the naff plastic twin fuel lines under the tank (high pressure Q/R jobbies due to Fuel injection system....Do you pull or push the connecter...i can never recall....)....and check the air pressure in the under expansion front shock under the engine.....they lose a LOT of pressure over time....so you'll be buying yourself a Scott High pressure Mountain bike rear shock pump from any good cycle shop...that's pedal power cycle shop...not Motorbike shop....
rpo83

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Knolly, that is a beautiful looking bike, i love that you are looking forward to riding it... have a ball.

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Knolly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims, glad to know that the problems are not that unusual. I just saw you answered my question about belts here before I asked in the other thread, my apologies!

Here's an extremely basic question for you... This is my first Ducati motor and I keep seeing references to 2V vs 4V. Which one is in the Tesi? It's my understanding that it has 2 valves per cylinder. Does that mean it's a 2 valve motor? Or is it 4 valve because it has 4 valves total?

Also what is the go-to brand of timing belt? Ducati OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melikes easy questions.....folk generally refer to valves or cams "per cylinder"...unless theyre playing the bigger numbers are better game when they multiply...16 valve...20 valve etc........Early Tesi 1D's stole engines from Ducati 851's and 888's and they were the watercooled 4 valve twin cam engines (per cylinder)...air cooled ducs like Tesi 3D are 2 valves per cylinder and single cam per cylinder......Belts are cheaper than the twin cam 4 valve units....as they are longer going over 2 cams at the top.

Duc OEM or aftermarket....not my decision that...like advising on which tyres are best...which is a good analogy also......Duc belts are now reinforced in the center with Kevlar....standing still is what kills them as one point is constantly bent over the top cam...so cranking and rotating the engine periodically alleviates this...also keeps engine oil lubing the top end....

Where do you buy tyres from and what are your spanner skills like?...I buy tyres from a source that constantly is turning over supply....so the date stamp on bike tyres is never more than a month or 2 old.....Same applies to Belts...do you trust the source not to pick up a pair of belts from 15-20 years ago off the shelf??...yup...belts from that period would fit....If no spanner skills and youre entrusting it to a Ducati dealer...then he will fit OEM with a known date and he is then warranty providing his work and the belts and fitment...the engines are known as an "interference" engine...in that the valves and the pistons occupy the same space but at different times...those different times are kept so by the cam belts...if they snap....the valves will occupy the same space as the piston travelling towards it at 10,000 revs per minute..........Hhmmm....I dont see any great price difference really either...so down to you.....3 things I dont compromise on are tyres, brakes and batteries...all false economy...engine oil and filter changes to a lesser extent...but I suppose with Duc engines I'd say cam belts also...I have been known to have the same ones on a duc engine for some 15years plus...yikes...and know some fellows with 18 year old belts on a duc motor in a bimota bike....This is all with 2-valve single cam motors though...NOT a 4 valve twin cam...which is not your motor....That's my views and after that its down to your choice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: