Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10 tyre choices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: DB10 tyre choices Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Looking for some feedback re tyre choices for my trusty DB10.

Last September had a trip to the Picos Europas in northern Spain, had a great time. In readiness for the trip knowing the roads and pace I would be riding at chose a pair of Pirreli Diablo Super Corsa Pro's good tyre in the dry but OMG in the wet. That added to the fact that I only did 1500 miles on them and the rear tyre would not pass an Mot. I need to find a replacement pair. There are two tyres I am looking at:

Metzler Roadtec 01 or the new Michelin road 5

Any experiance or thoughts on this matter, would sacrifice mileage for a tyre that affords better grip, tyres are cheaper to replace than Bimotas if you get my drift

Regards Glen
arsenic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not Rosso III ? Less sporty than the rosso corsa, but still good.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have your superlight BST carbon wheels on an already quick turning in bike....for me at least its all about profiles...the Michelins IMHO are more rounded...so turn in and bends...its all the same...progressive lean in with no change up to whatever your chicken strip level is......Pirellis for me I've always found more "pointy" in profile and seem to fall over an edge on leaning in....which I find disconcerting....and they always seemed to tramline more on white lines, ridges, road surfaces etc...Michelins haven't done that with me...I've ripped off perfectly good Pirellis off 3 of my Bims and replaced Very early with Michelins...even one pair that someone had recommended to me to use them....he subsequently found the same issues with the Pirellis and simply said "yeh...I'm going back to Michelins..........."...and yup...I've never let him forget it since....State of the roads in the UK....do you want tramlining/front wheel deviation? Even if it spends most of its time reaching for the skies???...Michelins seem to have a bigger contact patch when bolt upright and not so subject to deviation....
glened

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both of the replays. After fitting the wheels a couple of years ago, one of the newly found effects apart from turning in really quickly is that the rear tends to spin up coming out corners. This in turn makes the bike feel very twitchy. I have tries Michelins before and was happy with cornering ability though they did spin a lot, I also tried Dunlops which had a similar trait. I used to run Pirreli super Corsa on previous bikes and thought I would try them, they do not appear to spin up when you have tyre warm, however I can not and will not live with tyre in wet (downright bloody lethal) front and rear slides (60 I am to old and brittle) for that. The first trip this year is Scotland followed by the TT, it rains in both this places. So unless the Pirreli has undergone a drastic change?? The bike is very light and only kicks out about 100 bhp, but chomps through tyres and is very twitchy in the rain. I thought I would try a less sporty tyre and see if that would assist in rain, having more tread which will assist in the warming of the tyre.
Again thanks for the input
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Michelin man also.

As 2bims states I did have a brief spell on Pirelli and subsequently went back to Michelins.
Have always found them to be quite progressive and not to flighty , and like you have a couple of bikes with light wheels so quick steering tyres can just make the whole thing far to unstable .
But tyres like most things are personal and some people like different things, so upto you really.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
Thanks for both of the replays. After fitting the wheels a couple of years ago, one of the newly found effects apart from turning in really quickly is that the rear tends to spin up coming out corners. This in turn makes the bike feel very twitchy. I have tries Michelins before and was happy with cornering ability though they did spin a lot, I also tried Dunlops which had a similar trait. I used to run Pirreli super Corsa on previous bikes and thought I would try them, they do not appear to spin up when you have tyre warm, however I can not and will not live with tyre in wet (downright bloody lethal) front and rear slides (60 I am to old and brittle) for that. The first trip this year is Scotland followed by the TT, it rains in both this places. So unless the Pirreli has undergone a drastic change?? The bike is very light and only kicks out about 100 bhp, but chomps through tyres and is very twitchy in the rain. I thought I would try a less sporty tyre and see if that would assist in rain, having more tread which will assist in the warming of the tyre.
Again thanks for the input

You may find that the spinning rear can be cured by either or both of 2 ways....Go on the "2Bims" diet to amass as many Chinese takeaway plastic cartons as you can for storing bolts and pieces on bike restos......added weight always helps...ya skinny so and so......the other alternative is a 3/4 turn throttle instead of a 1/4 turn throttle...stops you feeding that power as quick as you do.

The third but risky alternative is swapping your Carbon wheels for a spare set of Antera Anchors I have stored in the loft.....5 tonnes of housebrick will cure any spinning......But on a serious note...have you taken your bike to a MOT station and weighed the front and the rear? Can be done with bathroom scales...if you wheel your bike onto a similar sized raised block on the rear with scales under the front wheel...and then reverse the process...I know that on DB5/6/7 and Vdue....Bimota go all BMW with 50:50 weight distribution.....If you've altered your suspension, which I know you have...but have you dropped the forks thru or wound up or down the preload on the rear spring???....you can get more weight over the back or less doing either........so check what you have as existing......I cant see that the DB10 is 50:50 with that teeny tiny 2 gallon tank sitting up front..
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I'm a Michelin man also.

As 2bims states I did have a brief spell on Pirelli and subsequently went back to Michelins.
Have always found them to be quite progressive and not to flighty , and like you have a couple of bikes with light wheels so quick steering tyres can just make the whole thing far to unstable .
But tyres like most things are personal and some people like different things, so upto you really.

Oh...was that you Vort??? I had completely forgotten who it was what with time and age???....But yup...Pirelli super this and hyper that may be great in their country of Origin basking on hot asphalt dappled by Baking Mediterranean sun....but not so great or inspiring in good Ol blighty
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last point...what tyre pressures are you running when cold???...lower pressure bigger contact patch...higher...less.....perhaps with your lesser weight you need less pressure in the rear...its not like you go two up...and I'll wager weigh half my weight??
glened

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

thanks for the input. With regard to tyre pressures I run around 30 psi in the rear and aroun 32 in the front, although I will run standard pressure in the new tyres and try the 10%/20% rule and see what that gives me. With regards to the front suspension I have added Matris internals and not altered the forks in the yolks, although I will try the "bathroom" scales to weigh the bike, curious to how much it weighs in reality. I am leaning towards the Metzler's only based on that I have never used them before. And a few people I know use them with no problems, however if some one has then I would appreciate some feedback. What photo storage do use after photobucket started charging?
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the Matris internals like ? Did they make a noticeable difference ?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso Glen.....32 and 30psi....and STILL spinning them up....don't know where you got your pressures from...I doubt the owners manual is such low figures...I normally use tyre pressures as recommended by the manufacturer.....I use 36 in the front and 40 in the rear...cold tyre pressures...you ride off road a lot do you? such low pressures to flatten the tyres and increase the contact patch....I get the feeling with the DB10 that yeh...its light...but that maybe its more 60:40 weight bias front/rear....feels like that sat on it....but maybe that's coz you cant see the front end at all when on the bike....Cant help you on the MEtzeler tyres....I use IMGUR to host pictures...far easier once a trial period of learning is done...no adverts or 100's of pop-ups leading to dodgy websites...just be sure to use size option "large thumbnail"...other wise the pictures post up wider than a bus
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
What are the Matris internals like ? Did they make a noticeable difference ?

Hey-up vort...up nice and early....had a lie in today...mostly coz I locked the cat in the lounge last night by mistake....she must have been hiding in there when I went to bed...Oops...not a happy cat this morning
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
Hi Steve,

thanks for the input. With regard to tyre pressures I run around 30 psi in the rear and aroun 32 in the front, although I will run standard pressure in the new tyres and try the 10%/20% rule and see what that gives me. With regards to the front suspension I have added Matris internals and not altered the forks in the yolks, although I will try the "bathroom" scales to weigh the bike, curious to how much it weighs in reality. I am leaning towards the Metzler's only based on that I have never used them before. And a few people I know use them with no problems, however if some one has then I would appreciate some feedback. What photo storage do use after photobucket started charging?

create a vehicle weighing in station....offcuts of timber or such front and rear wheels...so that when one wheel is on the scales...the other wheel is at the same height as the wheel on the scales...and then reverse.....can be repeated with rider on board if you have a friend handy to hold you upright
glened

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thanks for the input, yes i know the tyre pressures are low, however if I run tyre pressures at the level they recommend then the bike becomes very twitchy and is prone to spin more. With regards to weight bias I don't know until I put some scales on it. I will try and utilise the photo host that you suggested as I want to put some pics up with regards to an air box mod I have done. Are you aware of any solid state relays to replace the three that are located at the front near the headstock, not a big fan of mechanical relays, I have to tie wrap them place owing to sometimes hard landings from wheeling..... Oh I have said it now 😄 In answer to Stuart's question the Matris internals made a big difference to how the bike rides and corners, however don't take my word for it, as soon as I have got it all back together have a go on it and feel for yourself.
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Matris make a huge difference, have some for my 6R just not got around to fitting them. TBH not got around to registering it either but this year is the year !! got the rear shock on it just got to do the forks.
Did you do them yourself ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: