Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A long winded VDue Track Bike build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: A long winded VDue Track Bike build Reply with quote

Things have been quiet here for awhile so I thought I would start a thread about the gradual build up of a VDue track Bike.
Like most of my projects it starts with beer & quiet Sunday nights & is still going on after 7 years. Although the build is basically complete, we still have to finish the final ECU map.
I had a spare motor that I purchased from Piero & a set of heads I bought of Guido @ Motorrad-Fiedler
I had purchased a VDue road bike from a guy in the US a few years earlier which was an early direct injected model. I wanted to keep it direct injected so planned to replace the Walbro ECU with a MoTec unit. After a lot of work on the ECU set up & mapping that my mate carried out, we got the road bike running pretty good.
A couple of photos to start with, mainly to check that I can upload them

Guidos' insert heads

Heads fitted to Track bike motor

Last edited by Weed on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, am looking forward to the next posts and images!
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good ALREADY !!!!!! Very Happy
Weed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to purchase a new frame & swing arm from Piero in Dec 2015 so I suppose that this would be regarded as the offical start. I all ready had a fair few ancillary parts such as bolts, spacers etc & I had a complete Jolly Moto exhaust that I was going to fit to the road bike at a latter stage but I decided to leave the road bike basically standard (not counting the ECU, Dash & modified oil injection system).
I purchased an IMA set of triple clamps that have an adjustable offset. These were needed as I had a set of Ohlins FGR900 forks that I was going to use on another project, but an alternative came along for the other project.

vort28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Forks !!Shocked Shocked Shocked

trev45

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great project It will be a lot of photos to come I bet Wink

Cheers Trev
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. It looks great already.
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Nice Forks !!Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah. They are a set of 2009 super bike forks that haven't travelled a kilometre yet
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months went by while waiting for an Ohlins shock from the dealer over in Victoria. This eventually attired after a year or so, but in the mean time Piero came to the rescue with a carbon bodied Paoili.
Over that time I also put a set of Mag Marvic wheels from a race project we built in 1999 and had been sitting on the shelf ever since, to be tested & recoated.
I also ordered a set of brake & clutch master cylinders & front brake callipers.

djt77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see the vdues up close, anytime need a hand or fancy a ride out just let me know, not many of us Bimota boys in Perth
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I continue on with the track bike build post, I will digress a little as thought I should add some background information to it as a result of the road going VDue.

My interest in the VDue started back in 1998 when I walked into the Bimota importer here in Perth. There sitting in the centre of the floor was the VDue, at that time one of the most beautiful bikes I had seen (comparable to the 916) but at A$35K a bit out of my price range.
With the subsequent problems that arose with the bike, it was fortunate that I couldn’t afford on at the time, and as it turned out, the 18 or so units that were imported at the time were subsequently returned to Italy.

The itch remained unscratched until 2012 when I decided to search out an original EFI model. I wanted the EFI version rather than the ones converted to carbies as I decided to change the Walbro ECU to a MoTec unit, so how hard could it be. I found out how hard it was a bit latter.

I found a bike in Washington state & imported it after a fair bit of tooing & frowing between me the the government.
When it arrived it looked ok but needed a fair bit of cosmetic work so I sent the body & tank out for painting & then decided to pull the motor & check that out as well.

The cosmetics was the easy part as it turned out as the biggest headache turned out to not to be the fitting of the MoTec system but the map development for the VDue. My mate built a new EFI loom that tied the MoTec system into the general bike loom. As it turned out the general bike loom was a smaller loom than the MoTec one.

MoTec has numerous control sites so we used it to control the power valves & we also fitted a stepper motor to the oil pump so we could control the rate of oil injection, independent of the throttle cable control that the VDue came with. We also fitted Lambdas to the exhaust system to assist with the tune

The oil pump controller

How the ECU is mounted & the additional electronic components to control the oil pump stepper motor
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving it - tell us more..

Mike
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it mate. I have a sort of in law who would live in your neck of the woods
hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
Working on it mate.

Good stuff - looking forward to it

Quote:
I have a sort of in law who would live in your neck of the woods

It's a nice place to be right now, when the summer is making it quite pleasant and green for a couple of days before the rain sets in for Autumn/Winter/Spring Smile
Weed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a nice place to be right now, when the summer is making it quite pleasant and green for a couple of days before the rain sets in for Autumn/Winter/Spring Smile

Nial lives in the Highlands, west of Inverness. He says summer generally falls on about the 23 /24th of July. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: