Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Suicide stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Suicide stand Reply with quote

This topic may have been covered here, but I cannot deal with the spring loaded stand on the YB10. Has anyone replaced theirs with something more conventional?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd need more details....and piccies of how its attached to the bike and on what type of plate its attached.....Is it a circular spring on a tube or separate normal spring hooked onto sidestand and a plate?

DB2 is "normally" suicide stand....but mine is modded with a alloy plate added to "move" the topmost spring mounting point...so that when you kick the stand forward the spring action actually holds it open instead of retracting it when it goes past the 90degree point....thus you can kick it forward...it stays...place bike on sidestand and get off bike without the hassle of getting off and NOT dropping the bike before you get the chance to kick out the sidestand.....and when getting back on bike its on a firm stance....lift up and kick stand back...and away...Of course...you DO have to recall to kick it back though...as it would no longer auto retract....I just may have rode off the "odd" time or ten with it still in the down position....Oops...
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I can't see an easy way to modify it to not flip up. If i could i would have done so!

The spring is concentric with the side stand pivot bolt, so is twisted as the stand goes down. As so it doesn't go over centre like a conventional side stand

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....same as Db1 style then...spring has stand pivot bolt running thru it....Does the bolt fit onto a plate or into engine casing ? On DB1 it fits onto a piped branch inbetween the 2 exhausts......if its onto a plate then a new plate could modify it....or maybe a new Bimota side stand which has the "pin" welded part way down it to locate a traditional spring....DB2 and DB4 use a stock Ducati plate that bolts into the engine casing....I have a spare Ducati plate and 2 spare Bimota side stands which have a more conventional bimota "pin" part way down the side stand
pkay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being flippant I just didn't oil mine for a couple of years so the assorted muck acted as a damper and stopped the silly thing flipping up........
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

If I am parking mine somewhere I have no control over I tend to put a bungee card between the front wheel and the side stand.

Think the stand bolts to the frame. But with a spring parallel to the stand there might be issues with clearance to the fairing (ie, the stand pokes through a slot in the fairing)

All the best

Katy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have asked this question when the fairings were off but the thought didn't bother me until I started to ride it again. I can't recall this being a royal pain when I rode it prior, maybe it's my age or the foot ware. I just switched to Sidi Air Fusion boot with a wide toe enhanced with even wider toe slider. Getting the kick stand down was much easier with Dainese Axial boot which had a much narrower and longer toe. When riding yesterday I had to fuss with a side stand, especially on a bit of an incline.

I'll look into finding a solution for the stand after the bike show in Carmel.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
pkay

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret is to move the bike backwards once you have the stand in position. I find this makes sure the stand is at the end of its travel and stays in place. I also usually use my hand initially to put it down rather than my boot - call it "bike falling off its stand paranoia". I actually think they're not a bad idea.......
pkay

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret is to move the bike backwards once you have the stand in position. I find this makes sure the stand is at the end of its travel and stays in place. I also usually use my hand initially to put it down rather than my boot - call it "bike falling off its stand paranoia". I actually think they're not a bad idea.......
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
I should have asked this question when the fairings were off but the thought didn't bother me until I started to ride it again. I can't recall this being a royal pain when I rode it prior, maybe it's my age or the foot ware. I just switched to Sidi Air Fusion boot with a wide toe enhanced with even wider toe slider. Getting the kick stand down was much easier with Dainese Axial boot which had a much narrower and longer toe. When riding yesterday I had to fuss with a side stand, especially on a bit of an incline.

I'll look into finding a solution for the stand after the bike show in Carmel.

I'm surprised you can use your toe....on most of my Bimotas, especially where the side stand retreats into a preformed cut out in the fairing....I can only pull it down by rotating my left ankle counter clockwise and I use my heel to start the downward motion of the kickstand, rolling it around with the instep of my boot until it can be kicked forward with the toe......practice makes purpose...put it on a rear stand and have a few goes whilst sat on the bike.....then theres no fear attached initially in trying a new method
who

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YB11 stands don't auto retract.

I've had a bike fall over, if I could get my hands on that bloody engineer that designed it... I would strangle him-her. Rolling Eyes
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I pretty much never attempt to put the stand down on the Dieci while sitting on the bike. Jump off and then put the stand down.

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try that one on a db2......only frankie dettori can do it...
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wrote:
YB11 stands don't auto retract.

I've had a bike fall over, if I could get my hands on that bloody engineer that designed it... I would strangle him-her. Rolling Eyes

Any idea how well does the YB11 stand fit the Dieci? Is it a relatively simple upgrade or does it require some significant mods to mounting area and/or fairing?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to photo and post and measure what you have....Bimota were famous for changing the sidestands for most models as they often got it wrong...YB11 it only just held it slightly off the vertical....thus park on the wrong camber or in a slight breeze...and they would fall over on the RHS.......DB2 holds it at what looks like 45 degrees off the horizontal...frightening when you first get one....but mine was sat like that for 8 years in an underground car park untouched and never moved...so I've learnt to trust it...I do have a couple of spare sidestands...Bimota wise....that have the welded pin half way down the leg so that they aren't "autoretract" types....but its all down to top fitting and length....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: