Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 Probleme, won't run anymore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: DB5 Probleme, won't run anymore Reply with quote

I had an unpleasant experience lately... went for a 2 day trip to Italy but my DB 5 stopped working on the trip.

it started shortly after i left from Munich with some hick ups. under partial load in middle rev area it started bucking. when going to full gas it worked. after awhile it worked fine again completely for around 100 kilometres. then it started again. bucking, jerking. after a while it went off. then i managed to get it running again, but after another while it went off completely and now it is not possible to start anymore.

it is idling when pushing the ignite button, the fuel pump is running. after idling sometime the engine control lamp goes on. when switching the key off and on, the engine control lamp is off, but on again when idling without success.

then i saw that in the tank there is a huge sponge floating on top. we pulled that beast out of the tank (god this was huge) unfortunately this did not help, it still does not run. ( i thought maybe this blocked something after coming loose)

my feeling is that the eninge is not getting any fuel, something is blocked. maybe it has to to with the sponge?

any ideas?

Cheers Rob
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model DB5? What engine size and type? What ECU is it?

Sponge sounds like an aftermarket fitment....some folk use them to stop fuel sloshing around when cornering etc....Can fill a tank but when tank is full it takes next to no volume as its full of voids.....

Inside your tank is the fuel pump...and low fuel sender and theres a filter in there also...but a cartridge replaceable type.....pretty sure its a magnetti Marelli fuel pump as used by modern day ducatis

You can remove the fuel pump to check....by removing the fuel tank first....Has the tank been off recently? Sometimes when reconnecting the fuel lines which are Q/R disconnect...the small O-rings that seal them can become dislodged and be partly blocking the fuel line...causing poor flow or no flow...So I'd drain the tank first and remove and look down the fuel lines...and check the plastic parts on the tank outlets aren't blocked....also try starting and running with the fuel cap open first...maybe you have a blockage on the air release vent hole under the filler cap??...First things first....theres also a relay for the fuel pump...if its not functioning correctly it wont pump fuel and needs to with a fuel injected bike....as its the bit doing the "injecting"...….
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,

thx alot for getting back...i think i am gonna let this be seen at the dealer, i am not in the mood for this tank removal thing...will keep you updated,

Cheers, Robert
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dealer? There is no factory...do you still have a Bimota Dealer??? None here in the UK anymore...for the last 5 years or so now
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Armin Schneider in Langenpreising.
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the fuel pump
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenchu2x wrote:
It was the fuel pump

Glad you got it sorted. I’m not familiar with the DB5, do they use the pump from a Ducati or a different pump?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, its not ducati. a new unit cost 700 Euros. Armin managed to pull the pump out of a db6 or db7 unit and so the pump was just under 200 or something.

as i live in munich it is gold to have him nearby.
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my joy was premature...took her to ride today and after 10 km it was the same shit all over again… although the dealer rode it and it worked. bucking, jerking and then eventually going out and not starting again.

so it was not the fuel pump.

will take it to the dealer again but Maybe some tips here… 2 bims you mentioned a relay.

where is the relay for the injection and or the fuel pump? i only found one on the technical diagram but i dont know where it is, how it looks and what model it is.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you’re woes continue. I’m guessing that you’ve checked all the easy stuff like electrical plugs and ground connections.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenchu2x wrote:
well, my joy was premature...took her to ride today and after 10 km it was the same shit all over again… although the dealer rode it and it worked. bucking, jerking and then eventually going out and not starting again.

so it was not the fuel pump.

will take it to the dealer again but Maybe some tips here… 2 bims you mentioned a relay.

where is the relay for the injection and or the fuel pump? i only found one on the technical diagram but i dont know where it is, how it looks and what model it is.

Do you have the FULL Workshop manuals for the DB5??….The electrical layout drg is garbish really....says all sorts that isn't right.....THere should be 3 No. Relays under the LEft hand side fairing near the sideslung battery box from recollection.....so unplug LHS indicator wiring connector on the inside....remove the bolts joining the fairing under the belly pan...and remove the 3 or 4 side bolts on the fairing....this can be down with the bike on the sidestand....just be sure to manoeuvre the fairing around the sidestand......There is a fuel pump relay and starter relay and a 3rd...they are interchangeable....so you can change around until something happens or doesnt....available on ebay or Ducati dealers.....Multistrada or Hypermotard 1079cc 2 valve engine single cam bikes....2003 to around 2008/9...as the engine is the same

The full workshop manual shows you the layout of the electrical parts in photos of the bike.....
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-M-696-1-13-Nais-Relay-Relais/323211051262?hash=item4b40e140fe:g:1CAAAOSwqHBa1IuM

Could be the fuel pump relay...relays can come and go...sticking on or off...
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I do not have the full ws manual , maybe some one could send ?

Haeusler.robert At gmail.com
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now sent....2 No WOrkshop manuals...one is engine...the other is the rest of the bike...and spare parts exploded manual also....It seemed that I already had your email...I sent you the KOSO clocks info pages some 3 years ago and extracts from the owners manual also to adjust the marzocchi suspension
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gets more mysterious.

i took the db5 to the dealer back today and we tested the relays again. the all tested fine. when we connceted the db5 to the bimota Analysis Software (in not running condition (when the engine Control lamp Comes on after idling unseccessfully) the error was "engine Coils error" (2 of them) failing. since he did not have new relays that fitted, we tried to interchange them. then the bike ran again. we put the light relay in the iginition relay socket. i took a test ride and for the frst 10 mins it was ok, but then it started the stuttering agin above 7000rpm. it was not as severe as before, but it was tehre, it did not go out but i stopped riding then and did not force it.

so, the changing of the relyas, did change something obviously as we went from not starting to starting, but the Problem still exists somehow. we also changed the spark plugs to be sure but with no Effect. and we have the new pump.

next idea would be the throttle valve sensor or the ECU.
what about the coils?

does anyone has a spare walbro ecu for the DB5 as a spare for me to try? this would rock my world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: