Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SANTAMONICA FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
matt guffogg



Joined: 10 Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Location: BOLTON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: SANTAMONICA FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM Reply with quote

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TYPE OF INJECTORS ON A SANTAMONICA I HAVE JUST PURCHASED THE BIKE AND THE FUELING IS ROUGH AND PLUGS BLACK THINK IT NEEDS NEW INJECTORS AND SETTING UP PROPERLY IT HAS ONLY DONE 300 MILES IN 11 YEARS
_________________
SB8K SANTAMOINCA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the one on EBayUk...been for sale for 4 or 5 years or one that you've imported??….Is it UK reg'd?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt guffogg



Joined: 10 Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Location: BOLTON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Was it the one on EBayUk...been for sale for 4 or 5 years or one that you've imported??….Is it UK reg'd?



it was on car and classic its and import with British plates on an 07
been in Germany and only done 8 miles in last two years
_________________
SB8K SANTAMOINCA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right..>CarAndClassic….from a guy called Paul in Leicestershire...also has a black Carbon SB8 for sale......I am presuming......He has been on here trying to sort problems and issues with both bikes....pretending initially to be "looking to buy" a Santa....and then being seen more clearly as a dealer buying bikes for profit to sell on...nothing wrong with that...but he had to hold onto that Santa for 5 years to be able to register it in the UK as its still showing Kms on the clocks....and MSVA regn WONT allow kms on display to pass registration unless the bike is over 10 years old....I presume the headlight is still a Euro version also kicking up right and not left....although thats a simple replacement with a TL1000 unit...….I'm sure Vort will chip in....but these bikes and their fuel injection system Dont like being started and then just idling....the trick is to start and RIDE...put the engine under load or else they will foul their plugs....So whip out and change plugs and go from them there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame Number 0000048?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-BIMOTA-SB8K-SANTAMONICA-EDITION-ULTRA-RARE-FOR-COLLECTION-ONLY-280-MILES-/131568185340?hash=item1ea2132ffc&nma=true&si=%252BEp0R0UtUtNpzQxoCmDkregHmVQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Previous owners name on here was "roughrider" log-on name.....


Last edited by 2bims on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is that one.....drain off all the fuel....as its had fuel in it for the last 3 years so wont be particularly great...and dont cheap....put 99 or 97 grade in it....and be sure the battery is 100% to start with
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vort28



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 1882
Location: Northwest , UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum .

Without wishing to offend you really should done you've done your homework before you bought the Santa
I guess you are now on a step learning curve and are aware that the injection system is a bespoke Bimota item used only on this 1 model of SB8 , of which there are only a handful in the world and possibly 2 or 3 owners on this forum.
The ones I know of are Me, a chap in London and 1 in the states.
Santa's are known to run slightly rich , ( as most Bimota's do) , I know from experience. They do not like being started and not run properly and will eat plugs frequently.
First off like any bike that's been stood all its life , its going to need a complete service , all new fluids etc. What ever fluid is left in the fuel tank needs removing, fuel pump/hose's/ injector cleaned , and a fresh set of lines and plugs fitted. This may help but I suspect it will not .
As 2bim's has alluded to this bike has been around for a while and the previous owner was in polite terms ' A Muppet ' . I believe he bought the bike 'with issues' and has been trying to get the bike running for the 5yrs he has owned it.
There is no nice way to put this but I believe this bike has an ECU issue which is why its never really been run. Unfortunately there is no UK Bimota dealer or Factory support to cover this era of bike.
It would be down to either an injection specialist trying to repair/replace the ecu's , Yes there are 2 of them, or a complete replacement of the system with a TL set up and ditching what the SB8K is famous for, the variable/moving injectors.


Last edited by vort28 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeeKay



Joined: 29 May 2009
Posts: 1610
Location: West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it runs, but badly, have a word with Chris Gunster here :-

http://chrisgunster.co.uk/

he sorted my ill-running SB8R with a Power Commander and some dyno time.
_________________
Bimota SB6 and SB6R road bikes.
Project bikes:- Suzuki V4 500, TS185 rural cafe racer, XR11/71, Kettle/Katana, TDRGV250, OR50, Gag125,Triumph T595 and a Triumph X75 Hurricane replica (with a difference).
Too many projects...............
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum .

Without wishing to offend you really should done you've done your homework before you bought the Santa
I guess you are now on a step learning curve and are aware that the injection system is a bespoke Bimota item used only on this 1 model of SB8 , of which there are only a handful in the world and possibly 2 or 3 owners on this forum.
The ones I know of are Me, a chap in London and 1 in the states.
Santa's are known to run slightly rich , ( as most Bimota's do) , I know from experience. They do not like being started and not run properly and will eat plugs frequently.
First off like any bike that's been stood all its life , its going to need a complete service , all new fluids etc. What ever fluid is left in the fuel tank needs removing, fuel pump/hose's/ injector cleaned , and a fresh set of lines and plugs fitted. This may help but I suspect it will not .
As 2bim's has alluded to this bike has been around for a while and the previous owner was in polite terms ' A Muppet ' . I believe he bought the bike 'with issues' and has been trying to get the bike running for the 5yrs he has owned it.
There is no nice way to put this but I believe this bike has an ECU issue which is why its never really been run. Unfortunately there is no UK Bimota dealer or Factory support to cover this era of bike.
It would be down to either an injection specialist trying to repair/replace the ecu's , Yes there are 2 of them, or a complete replacement of the system with a TL set up.


You know how to bring a guy back down to earth Vort....but hammering 2 miles into the earths core....perhaps a little heavy....hopefully he see's light at the end of the tunnel you've just slung him down.....All we need now is for someone else to come along thats bought his Carbon SB8R thats never run...….PS - DOnt mention the full grey wiring harness (every wire is grey...and the same shade of grey) and NO fuse box...Shhh….Mums the word..... Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vort28



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Posts: 1882
Location: Northwest , UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

.….PS - DOnt mention the full grey wiring harness (every wire is grey...and the same shade of grey) and NO fuse box...Shhh….Mums the word..... Cool



Purple !! There are all purple !!! but I think he may have spotted that by now !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be my colour blindness kicking in...thought they were grey....Next you'll be telling me damson plums are purple and not grey...His profile says hes an electrician....so no issues there then....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stockcar



Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 719
Location: in the shadow of the "angel"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a tame man that does wonders with injectors if its of any help..........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pkay



Joined: 16 Dec 2016
Posts: 72
Location: Brizvegas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks you have scared the poor bugger away. Interesting reading though, shows the depth of knowledge and willingness to share in our little community. And I've crossed the SB8 off my list of bikes to own before I die.....
_________________
pkay
YB7 and many other assorted Euro and Jap bikes and one Triumph.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeeKay



Joined: 29 May 2009
Posts: 1610
Location: West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkay wrote:
And I've crossed the SB8 off my list of bikes to own before I die.....


sound thinking Very Happy
_________________
Bimota SB6 and SB6R road bikes.
Project bikes:- Suzuki V4 500, TS185 rural cafe racer, XR11/71, Kettle/Katana, TDRGV250, OR50, Gag125,Triumph T595 and a Triumph X75 Hurricane replica (with a difference).
Too many projects...............
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 5407

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can testify that after riding Vorts Santa....they are a lovely bike....there was no hiccups or elements of bad fueling...hunting, coughing etc.....evidently top suspension and brakes....and I'd have liked to have got it out onto an open A road and gave it more beans than was able to on the rather shoddy tight twisty narrow lanes that I was on.....comfortable enough....did seem like a ling bus though....but then it wasn't doing 120mph+....which is where I think it was designed for rather than 40-50mph B roads.....And you have to love the Vdue style dash.....Blakes7...Space1999 inspired.....Mk1 Astre GTE...a short lived era of LED dashes.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

The Bimota Forum has no official connection to Bimota S.p.A.. We just ride or are interested in their motorcycles and support the brand. All trademarks are acknowledged