Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

BB3 first outing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: BB3 first outing Reply with quote

As there is no BB section I guess I will have to post in general.

OK, so got the BB3 end of last year. TBH bloke I bought it off seemed to be a bit of a muppet, I mean still had the reflector bracket and a full size plate !!!!

As with every new addition first thing first is a complete check/lub/adjust/set.
This highlighted that the previous owner was indeed a muppet or the bike had been ridden by 3 different people all at the same time . Pegs / levers / controls were all over the place, rear brake was inactive ( having just had its first service at a BMW dealership ??? Amazing) . I could carry on but it only depresses me and amazes me at the level some main dealerships operate !!!

Few additions to the BB3 over winter pamper have been Lithium battery , the obligatory light fasteners , new Michelin RS tyres and a nice Arrow BMW race can (mean't for the BMW arrow race exhaust) which is the same diameter as the Bimota BB3 race headers ( NO CATS IN MY GARAGE 2BIM's Laughing)
General fit and finish is good , better than earlier Bim's but on par with the later db series stuff. Everything very tightly packed , Bimota airbox and airways squeezed in between frame spars and wiring harness . ABS pump located with battery and electrics under the seat , everything else seems to be BMW to match up to the canbus wiring .
Fairing is 3/4 single piece affair , with just a separate belly pan , bit of a bitch to slide main fairing off, headlight attched to inside of fairing ala DB7 , no headlight frame here , shaves a few KG's. Clocks are mounted on a carbon fairing/mirror/air tube support but thats it when fairing off (have to remember to take a picture next time fairing off)
Oh and leading on from another thread, whilst weighing the vdue I thought I would roll the BB3 onto the scales. 92kg front , 83kg rear , 175kg wet with 1/4 tank fuel

So after the truma of not being able to insure the BB3 at first , or anything for that matter due to my slight mishap last year, I finally get everything road legal and the UK weather finally breaks . The planets align and a 130 mile BB3 trip into Wales is on the cards.

First things first is the revs. Having not ridden a modern 1000cc in line four. At 6k rev's in top its doing about 70 but feels like it needs another gear !!(got to get used to this revving lark !!) But then I'm use to big v-twins which are doing 4k revs at this point. Getting over the gearing issue the engine seems eager to go and really starts to come alive about 8k just need to re-adjust my brain for manic revs !! Did'nt manage to explore the shift light at 14k as the North Wales constabulary were out in force and if it wasn't them in the way it was Mr Bean towing his caravan !!

As with any old school rider the quickshifter was a bit alien at first but soon learned to use it and also learned that a light pull on the clutch and a dab on the gear lever creates an addictive crackle on the upshift Laughing , which leads me to the race can , unbaffled of course and a lovely tone !!

Moving on to the Bimota bit, getting on the bike the seat is hard, seat height quite high , tank narrow at the back, wide in the middle, forcing your legs tightly into the fairing. Nothing new here, all the mags mentioned it , not comfortable at standstill but once moving everything just seems to fall into place , not cramped for a 6 footer at all.
It takes me 30 miles to get through Liverpool to country roads, BB3 easy to live with, no slipping of clutches to get off the line like the big Duc motors , ohlins suspension firm but never harsh , quite easy to ride sensible in town TBH. Feels a bit top heavy and tippy though . This might be me being over cautious on the new tyres but me thinks not , (Again mentioned in some write ups.)
OK , finally the Welsh roads appear and the average speed camera's disappear and the roads are warming up plus the tyres must be release agent free by now !!!!
Opening the BB3 up and pushing it harder showed that what ever I thought to this point was all just preamble Shocked This thing MOVES , the harder you push the better it goes !!!!!! OMG I am going to loose my licence FAST !!! Handling is neutral , suspension compliant , this is one nice motorcycle !! I don't think I have ridden a new addition before and not felt the need to move suspension settings or raise the rear etc before . OK the front view is still pig ugly but in every other aspect this thing is GRREEAATTTT.
With the family w/e other it was time to leave Mrs Vort and kids in Wales and head home for work and get ready for TT trip .
Usually I stop half way home for a leg/back break , no such stop this time, to much fun and empty roads mean I complete the 130ish journey in one. OK , bum checks are a bit stiff ( that seat has zero padding) but other than that, no aches or pains , and whats more NOTHING fell off in 250ish miles !! That has got to be a first for an Italian bike !!

Oh sorry forgot , (but edit post is a wonderful thing) .
MIRRORS - they deserve a special mention . So you buy a lovely bike, it has lashings of billet alloy bits, enough carbon fibre to make anyone happy , and then just before they go into production some muppet puts an order in to M&P accessories for the cheapest naffest's mirrors they could possible find !! Not only do these things look crap but they vibrate faster than your average female sex toy !!!!!! WTF were they thinking !!!! Mad

Last edited by vort28 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the write up Vort......at least it has a nice long seat to move around....but flat and thin and sharp edges...aka 90's series YB's.....probably down to aesthetics for that "straight from the race track" look.....

Are those mirrors just long stems of chunky plastic?....not surprised they vibrate....and sounds from stripping and assessing the over engineered and then messed up "Bimota madness" is still apparent......DB6 had we throwing my spanners out of the pram......stuff was engineered and then bits added that made the stripping system not as per the manual....manual evidently written BEFORE the design and construction of the bike was complete....like....remove 3 bolts from back of tank and remove drain hoses....then slide tank back off front pins and lift off....Ehhhh...No......theres a ruddy think SS bracket that the bolts bolt through....which cant be removed unless the tank is off.....chicken and egg scenario...you WOULD be able to lift the tank off...but some muppet put 2 No. drain nipples on the base of the tank that catch on said bracket stopping it being lifted off....thus you have to loosed 2 further bolts...which are tricky access...1/20th turn of a short allen key at a time....then Bend and lever the bracket backwards to clear the nipples and remove the tank.....tank removal being a cinch compared to headlight cowl removal......brackets and captive nuts all in the wrong place....cables tied in front of bolts etc etc....what a pain

Sounds like you like it then?....Still the choice for this years TT then?....Mrs Vort is going to be having some trouble keeping up with you on her trumpet though for sure....or has she upgraded herself to a DB6R yet? Or is that still all a bit "sudden"......One word that sums up a DB6 quite well...Sudden brakes...sudden acceleration and torque...sudden suspension and steering.....Who needs "slow and steady" eh??
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canbus wiring? Is everything grey then like Santa?....I'm assuming the grade and quality of wiring and connecters is better than Ducati stuff?...Of have the Accountants been into BMW also???

I think all grey is probably better....not like DB6....6 wires in starter button...going into 4...these 4 are all different to the other 6....trace down to starter solenoid bridge switch...2 wires....different colours to the other 10.....DB5 Workshop manual is in English and Italian...as is the wiring diagram...although "colours" are just 2 or 3 letters...in Italian ...and youre supposed to understand what the abbreviations are.

DB6 workshop manual.....in Italian and English....get to the wiring diagram...Which is identical (and this is a bike they made after the DB5)...but its in Italian only....so they remade the page...by tippexing out the English...Why????????....If the wheel is round and it works...why re-invent it???...Only Bimota....They also show a Main 32 Amp fuse....but not where...and No...its not in either of the 2 fuseboxes...yup 2 of them...which are actually fitted side by side....they must have started filling it...and ran out of sockets...so simply fitted another with the remaining 2 fuses.....Flip the rubber lid to the fusebox.....what does it say against every location for every fuse??? Lights? Horn? Injection?....Nope...none of that nonsense...every location is marked as "spare"....actually moulded into the rubber lid....Lord help us...for we know not what they have done....Rant over....DB6R is back together and booked in for its first MOT in 2 years....Now....just need to get my spare seat unit sent off to be reupholstered and padded higher to make it longer and taller and MORE comfortable...Made for that bloke in the Mr Muscle adverts it be...cant believe all Italians are built like MotoGP riders...surely they know the demographic of most Bimota owners are that they are of the hungry and will eat style
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous....... Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Stu! Disappointing about the mirrors, you would think they would have put quality items on considering that mirrors stick out like the proverbial dogs balls, so having to look at crap mirrors every time you ride is painful. At 175 kg it sounds nice and light.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should suggest to "Admin" that the "supermono" section for the BB1 should be re-titled to read BB Series so that the BB3 can then be included.

Alternatively we could just add a special "Vort" category just for you and your bikes eh Vort???.....Would make it easier for you to post what with your increasing age and stable???
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Nice write up Stu! Disappointing about the mirrors, you would think they would have put quality items on considering that mirrors stick out like the proverbial dogs balls, so having to look at crap mirrors every time you ride is painful. At 175 kg it sounds nice and light.

Thanks Brian

Mirrors !!!! OK, unlike some Bimota mirrors , and I am looking at the DB5 here, they do actually adjust to any angle and you CAN actually see behind you ( and not just your knee's) but only when at stand still.
YES, they do smack you in the face everytime time you look at the bike and seem to be cheap universal items .

Maybe its a bit like the touring style headlight , they only put them on for homologation and don't expect anyone to leave them on the bike after delivery !!
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Canbus wiring? Is everything grey then like Santa?....I'm assuming the grade and quality of wiring and connecters is better than Ducati stuff?.

Wiring is still multicoloured , and connectors are quality. Even the indicator fly leads have their own 2 pin IP65 connectors on them !! Very nice !!

Not like most Bimota's were part of the loom is just left unattached so there are connectors just hanging unmade , OH NO. Things that are missing or none standard BMW go into a small box of tricks to mimic the BMW current load so the error lights don't flash !! Front and rear lights for example !!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does sound better......the run and frequency of cables that go nowhere and dont even have a blanking plug fitted on the Db5 and Db6 is quite annoying....coz I'd part stripped the 6 a couple of years ago....it made putting it back together trickier...as I wasn't sure which part connected to what.....they could at least rubber heat shrink and seal unused connecters that go nowhere....

BB3 sounds better...although I'd worry about that presumably "bimota" supplied box of trips to run unused connecters to going wrong......What functions are not used compared to the S100RR then? Hazard warning lights presumably....anything else? Whats on the screen....satnav.....upload of all race tracks in Europe with GPS lap timing? Yawl control? Wheelie? LSD?..Traction?...or have they just left ABS and that's it? Are there any "modes"??....Last time I met up with nutter DB10 Glen...I think it was him that was moaning about a mate with a new bike with lots of modes on it....takes the bloke 10mins to change all the settings....brakes, wheelie, traction...wet/dry/sports/touring etc etc...and by the time he's finished resetting and turning off and turning on.....and trying to read the screen whilst putting on reading glasses...removing helmet and gloves etc....weather may have changed and he has to repeat the process....

Whilst out on a ride once with another fellow...who was on his MV Agusta 800 tourismo thingie modern....had a warning light come on after we'd descended a Long long very steep downhill on a single track road stuck behind a tourist in some 4x4 thingie that they couldn't gauge how wide it was.....his TFT screen was FULL of information and different windows etc etc...all with silly icons and giffs and tags and imojis the likes of which neither he nor I had any idea what they were...I checked my DB5R out and saw a slight weep of trannie oil from my filler plug....such was the steepness of the descent....so I simply said...Oil warning light I'll bet.....his light did go off...but still no idea whether this is what the symbol meant that came on...Keep it simple...Oil pressure...low fuel warning...indicators and high beam and neutral light.....Or as per on DB1....green lights for neutral and indicators and lights on...yup...all green....Blue for main beam....and red light for low fuel and red light for oil pressure....evidently indicators are just one light for left and right....why did they start this separate stuff for left and right?

Headlight....reminds me I have to visit my loft and pull my spare headlight unit out to see if I can find who made it.....and see what other goodies are up there...I want to get the spare rider and pillion perch on my DB6 remade.....widen and lengthen and raise the rider one.....and recover the pillion perch in white to match the bodywork....
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockcar wrote:
Jealous....... Laughing

Laughing

I was lucky , sort of , to get the BB. Right place , right time. Well if you count being knocked off my 5R the right place, but did mean I had an opening in the garage for new machinery and the BB turned up on the interweb a few days later !! Laughing ( Every cloud has a silver lining !!)
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

BB3 sounds better...although I'd worry about that presumably "bimota" supplied box of tricks to run unused connecters to going wrong......What functions are not used compared to the S100RR then? Hazard warning lights presumably....anything else? Whats on the screen....satnav.....upload of all race tracks in Europe with GPS lap timing? Yawl control? Wheelie? LSD?..Traction?...or have they just left ABS and that's it? Are there any "modes"??....

No idea whats missing TBH, traction/ABS/modes still there as is BMW dash, but thats it as far as I know. No cruise/satnav/heated grips or seat etc, although does tickle your balls in 3rd when you give the throttle a good twist !!!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
does tickle your balls in 3rd when you give the throttle a good twist !!!

I thought that was Mrs Vort's job?....BB3 made her redundant?

Dont suppose traction control is too bad to have.....as well as ABS...sign of the times with Modern Euro 4 regs I suppose......
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I think we should suggest to "Admin" that the "supermono" section for the BB1 should be re-titled to read BB Series so that the BB3 can then be included.

Done

All the best

Katy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Katy....once again...a star....Just needs Vorts post "moving over" now...get it out of Bimota Chat....I would have loved to have seen a "Vort" section titled up on the main page though....it wouldn't have so much made his Day...but his life complete...immortalised in Graphics on the BimotaForum Front Page....ah...such dreams
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistles nonchalantly....

All the best

Katy

(only temporary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: