Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Marchesini Rim Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Marchesini Rim Question Reply with quote

I'm replacing the bearings in a set of 5 spoke Marchesini magnesium rims, and the importer/distributor for the US market could not tell me which bearing is installed first. The person told me,"I install one bearing then the other!!" Are these people on CRACK!!! What a way to wear out bearings!!

My question for members is, does anybody know which bearing is installed first on the five spoke mag rims?
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without looking at the rims, I’m not sure what difference it would make?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a big difference. How you install the bearings determines if the wheel is centered correctly. And lets not forget about the rotors and sprocket.
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I’m no help to you then... I don’t get it
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe measure the seating depths of whats there, measure the bearings, and figure it out that way?
I assume that you're saying that the centre crush tube is longer than the distance between the bearing seats (which sounds improbable to me - you're then relying on the press fit to stop the wheel walking around).
Every wheel I've ever seen has the crush tube length matched to the width of the bearing seats, so it doesn't matter which bearing goes in first.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Gamma Boy....other than ensuring they are fitted the right way around....as most bimotas I've come across have the wheels pinched up tight across the bearing surface......Sprocket on rear.....most cush drive assemblies for the antera or oscom wheels have 2 no bearings inserted in them.....

If you've got a pack of bearings for each wheel....aren't they the same for each side of the wheel? So you wouldn't notice any difference if you fitted the right first then left side....as the bearings are the same??

The rear wheel assembly on the likes of DB1, Db2, DB4 Vdue etc...on the RHS has a threaded assembly on the parts around the rear brake caliper hanging bracket...to ensure that you can adjust the back wheel to correctly align with the front wheel....and then theres the chain adjusters to ensure alignment L-R for just the back wheel......Front wheel...depends on bike....DB5R it tells you how to torque bolts and when and in which sequence.....as you have to spin the front wheel to align the discs to the calipers then pinch up and torque
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Only modern ish bike I have found where it made a difference was the ZZR600. On one side didn't have a seat (you could knock the bearing through so it would fall into the middle of the hub - guess how I found that out!). You had to put the one with a seat in place first (from memory there was a circlip holding the bearing in once seated), then the spacer in place and seat the 2nd bearing onto the spacer.

There needs to be some way to locate the bearings in the wheel, otherwise the bearings would just move across the wheel when being ridden.

All the best

Katy
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spacer tube is always longer than the distance between the bearing seats. This ensures the bearings aren't loaded when you do up the axle. The wheel does actually rely on the bearing press fit to stay located.

However, the spacer is only longer by about 1mm, meaning the wheel could be over to one side or the other by 1mm. You or the bike would not notice a 1mm misalignment in the wheel.

How much longer is your spacer tube than the distance between the bearing seats?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: