Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 r won't Rev in higher gears
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horseheed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: sb6r won't rev in higher gears Reply with quote

mick wrote:
I bought a brand new sb6r in 2002 it had a similar problem ! it turned out that the overflow pipe was blocked and when it rained it filled the petrol filler cap with water, when you opened the cap it disappeared into the petrol tank.
In the airbox there was a fuel filter half full of water it would run but when you asked for more power the water was sucked against the filter and wouldn't rev!
. Cheers Mick something else to look at
mick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: sb6r won't rev in higher gears Reply with quote

I removed the tank threw away the contaminated fuel and cleaned the pipe with a thin welding rod, thought I'd better clean the float bowls while I'm doing but I've got say they were fine.
The fuel filter stopped the water from reaching the carbs, after that the bike ran perfect.
The only other problem I had with this bike was the front wheel bearings collapsed at 600 miles! when I renewed them they and the hub were full of water..........after that I stopped using my pressure cleaner which I'm sure contributed to both problems.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: sb6r won't rev in higher gears Reply with quote

mick wrote:
I bought a brand new sb6r in 2002 it had a similar problem ! it turned out that the overflow pipe was blocked and when it rained it filled the petrol filler cap with water, when you opened the cap it disappeared into the petrol tank.
In the airbox there was a fuel filter half full of water it would run but when you asked for more power the water was sucked against the filter and wouldn't rev!

Well that’s interesting. I had never considered that. Thanks for sharing Mick
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sb6r won't rev in higher gears Reply with quote

mick wrote:
I removed the tank threw away the contaminated fuel and cleaned the pipe with a thin welding rod, thought I'd better clean the float bowls while I'm doing but I've got say they were fine.
The fuel filter stopped the water from reaching the carbs, after that the bike ran perfect.
The only other problem I had with this bike was the front wheel bearings collapsed at 600 miles! when I renewed them they and the hub were full of water..........after that I stopped using my pressure cleaner which I'm sure contributed to both problems.

Yeah I stopped using a pressure cleaner years ago too. They force water into every little nook and cranny
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: sb6r won't rev in higher gears Reply with quote

mick wrote:

The SB6R that I purchased had a similar problem - the rear wheel spindle was seized in the cush drive housing bearing, all the other wheel bearings were corroded and shot. I suspect that this was also due to the use of a pressure washer. I never use one on my bikes.
One year later, my bike failed the MOT test due to excessive play in the swingarm. Yep - shot bearings again...........
Horseheed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: sb6 flat spot in midrange/higher gears Reply with quote

jerry wrote:
I have the same problem on my newly bought SB6R .have had float heights checked but am not confident they have been set correctly ( as per manual ) .As my bike has only covered 52 miles in last 4 years my next step is to clean out tank filter and reset float heights as per manual.also found no vacuum pipe connected tp fuel pump in airbox , but reconnecting did not solve problem. would appreciate eny input/info on this problem
Hi Jerry a guy has very kindly replied to my post and it's sorted my SB6 r it's not 100% I'd say about 90% so I can at least use it . All I did was cut a piece of old cotton shirt up the same size as the air filter and put it between the foam filter and the top of the air box and closed it , it now needs setting up with some vacuum gauges but it's now rideable Good luck
gary sb6r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly not the same thing
Buuuutttttt when I dissconnected the fuel pump to make fuel run on gravity
not a succsessful move, I reconnected fuel pump (but outside airbox) and all was well
Even better after a quick trip to Dyno shop to check the jetting
Well happy with the old girl now
It would seem these beasts need a jolly good fuel supply
I know this to be ture by the amount of time im spending in the gas station
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dyno set up is always a good idea - i get about 140miles to a tank before filling up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: