Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

thoughts going forward.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djt77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: thoughts going forward..... Reply with quote

hi all, so some of you might be aware that i have what is for me the perfect road/race bike a DB7 oronero. I have had the bike now for around 5 years and in that time i done just sort of 25,000km and to be honest she (debbie) has never let me down, if fact she has been the one constant though some very difficult times.

The style of riding a lot of friends do now has changed and with the km she has picked up some blemishes, on the carbon. now i love her to bits and whilst i have had offers and comes close to parting i have never been able to do so, prob never will.

my question is do i continue to use and sink $5k worth into her with love and go faster goodies or just get her refreshed and park her in the house and take her on the occasional outing?

One part of me want to put loads of $ into her and keep going (too be honest there cant be many others that ride his particular as hard and fast as i do) or do i retire her and leave her with a tart up and move on?

I'm not a millionaire or i would have several but i really not sure how to proceed so asking for opinion here?
arsenic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it was me, i’d just buy another sportbike for the road and put mileage on it, and change often, like every 2 or 3 years, something recent and easily soldable, like an s1000rr, and keep the bimota for just a few trips from time to time, or not even an expensive sportbike, a 999 or an rsv1000 would do the job just fine !
But that’s just me
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Arsenic, bring it back to original condition and get a more of a "daily" rider. RSV 1000 R Factory is a fantastic bike, 999 is another great candidate or how about an MV F4? That bike is beautiful and very aggressive.

My Bimota can't really compare to yours, but I have an MV Brutale 1090RR as my go to rider which makes riding the YB10 that more of a special and joyous occasion
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get another bike. But don't park her in the living room. Use them both. You said the riding style has changed. Does that mean it's time for a naked sportbike? Use them both, depending who you're riding with and how you feel that day.
I've had bikes/cars I put at the back of the garage because I was worried about rock chips or whatever. And that's when I think about selling them (like the SB8R I just sold). If, when you finally get around to taking them out, you crush any idea of selling them, then don't. We have to remind ourselves why we wanted them in the first place, the best way to do that is ride them. So I would say, keep riding her, just get another bike and maybe do less miles, you'll appreciate her more when you do take her out.
arsenic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:
I second Arsenic, bring it back to original condition and get a more of a "daily" rider. RSV 1000 R Factory is a fantastic bike, 999 is another great candidate or how about an MV F4? That bike is beautiful and very aggressive.

My Bimota can't really compare to yours, but I have an MV Brutale 1090RR as my go to rider which makes riding the YB10 that more of a special and joyous occasion

I wouldn’t ride an F4 as a daily tho... the position is more radical than the one of the db7/8 and you do the service every 6000km...

Nah i think an rc8/1098 (if you want the engine of your bike)/rsv 1000r 2006-2009/ 999s / or even naked bikes like the streetfighter are the best for your use.
Thoses are still fantastic bikes, cheaper to maintain/insure and reliable enough to swallow mileage like apple juice.

Just take the db7 for a spin from time to time, you’ll still have fun, and the moment you’ll ride it will be special + you have the psychological satisfaction of NOT « ruining » your bike with a lot of miles.

That’s why i have 3 bikes and want even more :p
- various style of bikes
- i don’t put many miles on them
- still look brand new after a few years
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same from me. Keep the Oro for those special outings and buy another bike for a daily ride.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A track day every now and then on the Oro Nero would be awesome too
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of having a beautiful wife and confining her to the bed room , OK bad analogy Laughing

But you get the jist . If you have an amazing piece of machinery it needs to be used and shown off.
Once you put it to the back of the garage or in the house it will never be ridden again , not without being recommissioned which will be a shame.
If you sell it for something else , what can top a DB7 ? Would you be happy ? would you ever be able to get another DB7 when you realised your mistake ??.
Machinery is mean't to be used , maybe not all the time as it becomes the norm , but if you believe the Oronero to be the perfect bike now , what will you think when you only ride a few times a year ????

I have a few bike's , admittedly all Bimota's , but I put them on a rotation , so will change the one's I have road worthy/legal each year, so it forces be to reacquaint myself with old friends once in a while and leave new friend behind .
Having said all that the DB7 was laid up 2018 and its defo on the 2019 ride list !!!
Laughing
ruffef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
What is the point of having a beautiful wife and confining her to the bed room , OK bad analogy Laughing

or, to pinch a quote from another forum i visit....

Not riding your laverda is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
arsenic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

But you get the jist . If you have an amazing piece of machinery it needs to be used and shown off.
Once you put it to the back of the garage or in the house it will never be ridden again , not without being recommissioned which will be a shame.
If you sell it for something else , what can top a DB7 ? Would you be happy ? would you ever be able to get another DB7 when you realised your mistake ??.
Machinery is mean't to be used , maybe not all the time as it becomes the norm , but if you believe the Oronero to be the perfect bike now , what will you think when you only ride a few times a year ????

I have a few bike's , admittedly all Bimota's , but I put them on a rotation , so will change the one's I have road worthy/legal each year, so it forces be to reacquaint myself with old friends once in a while and leave new friend behind .
Having said all that the DB7 was laid up 2018 and its defo on the 2019 ride list !!!
Laughing

Eeeh i don’t agree, its not because the db7 would be perfect to ride that he can’t have fun with another bike... it’s just the will to NOT degrading the bike with a lot of miles, i am in this situation, the precedent owner of my DB8 rode it 22000km, and it pain me to see that my bike is not perfect and have some scratch there and there, a mirror support cracked etc...
it need a restauration and it will cost me money...
brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Laughing

Careful Stu.... you can’t be seen to be showing favouritism Shocked
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

Careful Stu.... you can’t be seen to be showing favouritism Shocked

I know but the 7 does tick all the right boxes Laughing , problem is it makes you forget your a responsible adult and turns you into a spotty youth again Shocked , very bad for your driving licence !!!! Laughing
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arsenic wrote:
Eeeh i don’t agree, its not because the db7 would be perfect to ride that he can’t have fun with another bike... it’s just the will to NOT degrading the bike with a lot of miles, i am in this situation, the precedent owner of my DB8 rode it 22000km, and it pain me to see that my bike is not perfect and have some scratch there and there, a mirror support cracked etc...
it need a restauration and it will cost me money...

Yes, that's the fine line and the price we have to pay. Some chose to ignore it all and just ride and use the bike as it was intended, while others can't bear to think of putting an accidental knick on the paint, or worse...

I have experienced this with several of my bikes, the best example is that of the 2 BMW Boxer Cups. For those not too familiar with that model, they were the pinnacle of the sporty R11S when new. Boxer Cup Replikas had a short run in the US, sold for only 3 years during which 2003 and 2004 models totaled 500 units, no data on the 2005. Anyhoo, I bought my first BCR 5 years ago, number 193. It was not perfect, with some oxidation on metal bits here and there. It did have about 7k miles on it, I ended up putting another 13k on top of that. I loved to ride that bike and did not care what the odometer said. Mileage was important to me only when related to service. I was past the miles at which #193 would pose any collector interest and it did have some imperfections.

This year I was offered #245 by my friend. An identical twin to my #193 but with just 3700 miles on the clock. It is cleaner than a cat's a$$, and is essentially a brand new bike. I said adios to #193. At first I was elated, what stroke of luck to have an almost unique Boxer Cup. I took it out for a ride, loved the sound of the Remus exhaust (another reason why I was so eager for it). However, I was so nervous that a rock or debris would fly up and hit its shiny, undamaged since new paint. Do I want to be responsible for that? Do I want to heap tons of miles on this rare example? Most recently I have made a decision to sell it. Sure, I can stuff it in my living room (my wife gave a nod of approval) but my rule is that i have to ride everything I have. So off onto the chopping block for #245. There are several other bikes that I would look at after the space becomes available, namely RC51, RSV 1000 R or a 999.

The moral of the story for me is while I loved riding #193 because it posed no real collector interest and was just a very cool "daily rider", riding #245 has somewhat different effect even though the bikes are identical.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
arsenic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally feel you, and that’s why i think it’s better to ride plenty of bike at the same time, so they don’t get degraded by the utilisation.
Ofc i’ll love riding X bike more than Y one, but i just love riding, and having more bikes give more sensations anyway, i mean, ofc with the db8 It’s pure happiness when I ride it, but that doesn’t mean that i don’t enjoy riding other bikes too, especially less expensive bikes.

That’s why i suggested to ride a 999-rsv 1000 etc, thoses are cheap but good and fun bikes to ride too !
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arsenic wrote:

Eeeh i don’t agree, its not because the db7 would be perfect to ride that he can’t have fun with another bike...

I never said he would not enjoy another bike , and maybe said other bike may have other enjoyable properties , just that if the DB7 was a less frequent ride he would probably enjoy more.
Maybe a different style of bike ? A naked for those lazy trips or a quick trip to the shops . A classic or maybe even a 2-stroke !!!! Laughing If you think a DB7 is addictive , why not try a Vdue Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: