Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 Bottom Yoke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: DB1 Bottom Yoke Reply with quote

I recently purchased a DB1 and after removing the fairing, low and behold I found the bottom yoke had cracked where the steering damper bolts too. I was lucky enough to speak to Ian Gowanloch and mentioned the problem, he told me it was common and he had seen them arrive from new that way on occasion. I was wondering if anybody knew if somebody out there reproduced one throughout the years? I'm thinking about getting mine re-welded but due to the material its made from and the fact I'll have to slide my fork back through, I can see all ready it'll be super tricky and way beyond my capabilities! Any help would be much appreciated.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ant....and welcome back.....I know that BCP in Italy have reproduced the top yoke but not so sure about the bottom one....which is complicated because it carries brake fluid from one back facing banjo bolt with the brake light connecter on the back...to 2 no banjo bolts on the front to feed one line down to each caliper....with drilled lines through the bottom yoke carrying the brake fluid.....Is it just the clamp part for the steering damper thats cracked or more structural that that? You could always ditch the steering damper....its not doing that much on a Db1 and I havent used the one on mine
DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ANTDB1,
I've seen a couple of DB1's with non original bottom clamps so someone out there has made them.
I Know someone who does one off CNC machining, I've seen a whole row of triple clamps on his bench, You would have to send him your clamp so he could measure it and I think there would be a setup cost as well.
His name is Ben from Extreme Creations here in Sydney, give him a ring, mention my name.
Gerald
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Hi Ant....and welcome back.....I know that BCP in Italy have reproduced the top yoke but not so sure about the bottom one....which is complicated because it carries brake fluid from one back facing banjo bolt with the brake light connecter on the back...to 2 no banjo bolts on the front to feed one line down to each caliper....with drilled lines through the bottom yoke carrying the brake fluid.....Is it just the clamp part for the steering damper thats cracked or more structural that that? You could always ditch the steering damper....its not doing that much on a Db1 and I havent used the one on mine

Thanks mate, happy to be back!
Unfortunately its the bottom clamp that is broken, not just the part that the steering damper bolts too. I have contacted BCP through an Italian friend, they will make me another out of solid billet for around 600 euro so I think maybe I'll go that way - would of preferred to keep it all original but if they aren't available then its better than the cracked one I got.
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB1 860 wrote:
Hi ANTDB1,
I've seen a couple of DB1's with non original bottom clamps so someone out there has made them.
I Know someone who does one off CNC machining, I've seen a whole row of triple clamps on his bench, You would have to send him your clamp so he could measure it and I think there would be a setup cost as well.
His name is Ben from Extreme Creations here in Sydney, give him a ring, mention my name.
Gerald

Hi Gerald
Thanks mate, Bimota Classic Parts will make us one but its around $900 AUD so maybe I'll give your referral a call and see what he can do first.
Cheers
Ant
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Steve Bridge at F1 Eng across the ditch here:
https://f1e.nz/
He has done work of this nature for me in the past and is very good to work with, prices are reasonable as well.

Cheers
ANTDB1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadrasuarass wrote:
You could try Steve Bridge at F1 Eng across the ditch here:
https://f1e.nz/
He has done work of this nature for me in the past and is very good to work with, prices are reasonable as well.

Cheers

Thanks mate, I'll look them up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: