Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratos23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Ah yes....I see it now....good eyes there Ron.....TBH....there was so many little things wrong with the bike that I was trying not to look at it for a while...especially when, like you....I suspected that beneath the shiney new clothes may lie a bucket of trouble and anguish for any new owner....Will have to see...tomorrow is auction day....

Well The DB1SR in question just sold for about US$10,000.

I agree with you 100% 2bims - and I know quite a it about the bike (and most of the others that this seller had up for auction). It was a Japanese import that arrived din NZ about 3 years ago. Being relatively incomplete, the seller has had to do a lot of work to even get it to the state you see here listed at Bonhams - hence loads of not-quite-right bits. The engine needed a full rebuild - which was done by one of NZ's best Ducati mechanics - meaning that mechanically it was very sound. It was originally a white one and yes, it certainly looks like it's been 'tarted up' for auction.

That all said, US$10K is insanely cheap, despite its shortcomings. At the end of the day, it is a genuine RS underneath. Someone got a bargain!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly yes...a bargain...as were the Ducati 750F1's also...Bonhams just didn't seem to have the audience of buyers...I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ring of dealers there all in for limits of 10K and sharing the spoils for later sales...as I would have punted in at the prices attained...Most didn't even make the initial retail price of when they were first sold in the 1980's let alone allowing for appreciation of prices etc......I found brochure descriptions poor....but not as poor as at the Mecum auction although bikes faired better there....If something has had a full and proper rebuild...take photos and get them included in the brochure/online information....maybe it was available upon request at the auction...but with the advent of telephone and online bidding you'd have thought this info was ready at hand....I generally take lots of photos when rebuilding things...always keep receipts etc....photos mainly to help when I put them back together...but also a good idea for potential sale to show whats underneath...especially with it being mostly hidden on a DB1.....Mecum auctions rarely gave mileages or where the bike had been or came from...and often clocks weren't visible on the online brochure either....makes for a gamble if your not there at the time
Rocketron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a request for a copy of the DB1 owners manual. I scanned it as a PDF (not that well BTW) if others would like a copy, here it is. Please feel free to host it elsewhere if you want. It may disappear from here....

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=ff806b07fd662f6273afe3c797a9c031
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an OK copy.....not seen that site before...will have to see if it stays there and perhaps we can get a separate section going for file sharing....I have the Spare parts manual also in PDF format...courtesy of SteveLoudBike in Canada....its nice to see that you get private requests for manuals and share them...I thought it was just me.....There is a section on the UKBimotaForum Facebook page for bike reviews and manual so maybe I'll try on there if we dont get a section sorted on here...
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one...Its the Exploded Spare Parts Manual

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=9d7c5639941d2d14c8161a6009efacb5
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEres the Sales Brochure for anyone thats interested....Place Mouse over image and right click and you should be able to save the file to your computer and print off A4 size...

Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: DB1 Reply with quote

Did the 2 litre fuel capacity limit range, or did riders keep a gallon in reserve down each trouser leg?

What was it like weighing in for an oil change?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: DB1 Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
Did the 2 litre fuel capacity limit range, or did riders keep a gallon in reserve down each trouser leg?

What was it like weighing in for an oil change?

I hadn't noticed those before.....The oil figures seem right...although they would look at me strange in the shop if I tried ordering by Mass and not Volume...….its the "blurb" describing the bike that I laugh at....and the error in BD1/DB1....It doesnt take a language expert to pick up on that typo....
Rocketron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried starting the engine today. Of the three required things to occur the sparkity, sparkity doesn't happen.

That led me to the wiring diagram. This shows the ignition system as being pretty independent. As long as the kill switch is in the on position sparkity, sparkity should happen. Correct me if I'm wrong on that....

What is happening is when I switch over the kill switch to off, the starter motor no longer will run. I'm suspicious that it should spin the motor even if the kill switch is off. Could someone confirm that?
Engine spins with the starter when the kill switch is either on or off?

I suspect I plugged the wires on the key switch incorrectly. If I had time I'd just bypass the kill switch and see if sparkity, sparkity happens.

Off skiing and working for a few days before I can get back to this...

Thanks!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey dokey…...Kill switch has "run" and "off" settings.....click up for run....Crankity should work in either direction....run or off....but sparkity should only occur in "run" position on the kill switch.....there should be no sparkity in "off" position

Check a spark plug against the engine casing to earth it in its HT plug cap to look for a good spar when cranking in Run condition....make sure there is NO fuel leakage anywhere...vapour of fluid....bikes can catch fire when introducing a spark outside of the cylinder block...afterall thats what a spark and fuel should do,,,,induce "fire"....

If no spark on either plug....or weakend spark......Unscrew each plug lead cap in turn from the HT cable and check for good wires at the ends......if any green cut a small section of the wire off flush and rescrew the plug caps back on...and test again....Unfortunatley you cannot do this at the HT pack ends on a standard DB1 unit as they are sealed integral with the coils...…

Always have a fresh or good battery installed....always pull the clutch in to lighten the load...theres no sidestand cut-off switch to worry about as its a suicide stand....

Good fresh fuel??...getting thru the carbs to the cylinders??? Indicated by wet plugs when removed after some cranking????

Check all wired ends on HT and coil/ignitor packs...corrosion on Italian wiring builds up over time when no elecy juice has been running thru them for some time....no matter how well stored the bike is/was....electrics likes to have current running thru it to cut down and burn off corrosion....

Lastly....and hopefully not necessary.....is the dreaded "ducati" issue with Bosch electrics......On the LHS crankcase cover there exits 2 No. cables going to your ignitor packs from the flywheel crank pick-up units that sit inside the crankcase...in a bath of gearbox/engine oil....Ducati didn't tell Bosch that these wires would be constantly immersed in Oil...and thus the protective coating is not oil resistant...this can break down over time and cause the increase current generated from the flywheel...that is supposed to reach the spark plugs to increase the spark sufficient for starting...when the wires break down this current runs thru your engine oil instead.....

I say "lastly" because if this is the issue...it means taking the LHS crankcase cover off...after draining the oil....new pick-ups and wires....I'd try temporarily rigging up some New coil packs first that you know that work before this though...with new spark plug leads that you also know work....this is where a donor bike that works is helpful to have around...
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocketron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, That's what I was suspecting. Seems the kill switch is giving some problems.

Not much you can do to repair anything in this switch assembly. Seems it'll either work or not. I'll work with it and see if it improves with use.

A little video showing how the horizontal cylinder is now functioning. Sparkity sparkity happening on the vertical cylinder but still not firing. Thinking I might have to pop off the carb and poke around inside it.
Not sure but the smoke might be the spiders bodies being cremated.
https://youtu.be/AdJgQogbIP0 Confused

Hopefully it's available now..... ?

Last edited by Rocketron on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link says video not available
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
The link says video not available

May have been my shit internet, it’s working for me now.

I’d double check spark to that cylinder and then check the carb
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had time to have a look see why only one cylinder was firing.

You can't see it here because I corrected the slide height on the rear cylinder. It was hung up on the throttle cable end. One I got the slide down to the bottom of the throat...

Longer video of the engine burning off the oil I shot down into the cylinders...

https://youtu.be/3DSFrwyEYhA

Certain satisfaction with hearing it run again. Had to stop and open the doors of the garage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: