Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocketron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the bike was ready to start up. Just hook up the leads to the battery, check power was getting past the fuses.
Set-up a small gas supply and we're ready!

Opps, think I found something I'd blocked out of my memory. Guessing I dropped the gas cap a few times and this happened.

It's made me stop and ponder anew. Do we know the origin of these keys? Possible to locate blanks?

Hopefully there is a source and I don't have to adapt some other switch?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.....and both of them???....Zadi key blanks they are...but they wont come with the Bimota logo'd tops....My local chain of "Timpsons" key cutters and shoe repairs do the blanks and could cut from the "piece you have left...as that is locked into the machine to trace around for the new key

Silca also make the blanks to fit Zadi locks...which is whats on the DB1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZADI-Keyblanks-x-2-Key-Blank-FREE-POSTAGE-IN-AUSTRALIA-ZD11/131331466722?epid=1373762982&hash=item1e93f725e2:g:5L0AAOSwEK9T-C-p:rk:67:pf:0

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea , agree "Both of them??"

Woke this morning and lay there contemplating how that happened. Suddenly this came to mind.
I can vaguely remember cursing when the second key was snapped off.

If you are wanting to shorten a key I would recommend this Bimota key cutter.

Got this made today at the local locksmith. Didn't turn in the lock, so taking the whole unit in to see if I can get them to cut it correctly.

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say...I've never tried to use the steering lock on the DB1....same style as on my sons DT125R and I've never tested that one either

Key Blank doesnt look right...it has a "stop at the uppermost part which generally means it wont reach down far enough to operate the tumbler mech at the right points....It is finnicky...but the right key blank needs to be used...
Rocketron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, is what the guys at the locksmiths said when I took in the key with the actual lock. They didn't know if the stop would allow the key to enter properly.

However they worked their magic on the new key which now looks like this.

It was interesting in that, they took the blank from a box filled with hundreds of blanks. From witnessing that I'd be hard pressed to say there is anything special about DB1 keys. Surprised

She LIVES!

It has to be 24 years since electricity has coursed through her veins.

Next week, I'll set up a temporary gas tank, roll her out and see what happens!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooHoo...grand stuff...check out this DB1SR....and Ahem...my posts about it

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25192/lot/36/?category=list&length=10&page=4&fbclid=IwAR1sGG-Ur6g-DRxPnzmAZJBlUaRcYdVt9OW8py8fubTBk0Bv_KUeV4-lh7Y

My comments on Facebook

Very nice...but to me a little too "over restored"....says "back to Factory spec"...with those 1990's 4 pot Brembo front caliper I dont think so...and rear ohlins shock...with a rather stupid and clunky bracket bolted to the rear swingarm for the remote gas canister shock....aside from that...shoot the painter....he's left spaces between all the letters on the Bimota logo's......what a shame....if I was fully restoring its either back to spec...or upgrade...and if fitting new rear shock and calipers...at least fit some 17inch wheels.....Bike when new was $14500....so...32 years later they give a guide price of $18-25K......I see that MotorcycleSpecs have now stolen the images of this bike for their website... Boy they are quick off the mark...
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/.../bimota_db1sr.htm

Oh...and spraying the chrome sidestand Bright red is pure wrong also....its not that much to rechrome…...Would like to at least see it without its clothes.....

Darn it...Philips head screws attaching the nose cone top and bottom....a ruddy crying shame...Bonhams should be whipped to the bone for saying this is a back to factory spec....Caveat Emptor....

I've stopped looking at it now in case I start crying again.....

Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinko Chinese tyres.....Button head allen bolt in front nose cone to headlight subframe...should be gold passivate mushroom head....indicators are choice...but front in wrong place....should be in tank seat unit back from nose cone not in nose cone...which is sensible as when you remove the nose cone which you have to prise apart...you dont want to be trying to disconnect indicator wires also as you've ran out of hands....where Bimota put them made sense as once nose cone is off then you can gain access to disconnect the indicators before removing the belly pan and then the tank seat unit

Going for a lie down in a darkened room.... Rolling Eyes
Rocketron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One detail that caught my eye was the missing steering damper.

Little too much gloss for my liking and yes under the covers it might look a little sad.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso....on what picture have you spotted theres no damper? Normally connected to bottom yoke LHS....and I cant see any detail of that sideOr have you zoomed in on the cockpit area and looked down?

Pictures of somewhat "dodgy" looking Vin tag show what looks like a faded and dusty frame...yet swingarm looks to be bathed in fresh blood....maybe its just had its visual parts tarted up for Auction??….Or else you would be showing pictures of it naked also
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso....on what picture have you spotted theres no damper? Normally connected to bottom yoke LHS....and I cant see any detail of that sideOr have you zoomed in on the cockpit area and looked down?

Pictures of somewhat "dodgy" looking Vin tag show what looks like a faded and dusty frame...yet swingarm looks to be bathed in fresh blood....maybe its just had its visual parts tarted up for Auction??….Or else you would be showing pictures of it naked also
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its got the wrong rear light lens...as it kicks out at the bottom instead of being flush...they've fitted A 900ss rear light unit...cant quite see here...but on the Ducati 750 Montjuich photos at the auction...you can see the back end of the Bim...Grrghhh...I'd hate to think what was under the fairing
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your DB1 restoration is coming along nicely. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting lots of photo's. Great reference thread
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Rocketron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Yes, zoom in on the cockpit photo and you can see the empty bolt hole. Looking closely at the black ring around the tach and you can see the sadness which is probably lying beneath the glossy paint.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes....I see it now....good eyes there Ron.....TBH....there was so many little things wrong with the bike that I was trying not to look at it for a while...especially when, like you....I suspected that beneath the shiney new clothes may lie a bucket of trouble and anguish for any new owner....Will have to see...tomorrow is auction day....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes....I see it now....good eyes there Ron.....TBH....there was so many little things wrong with the bike that I was trying not to look at it for a while...especially when, like you....I suspected that beneath the shiney new clothes may lie a bucket of trouble and anguish for any new owner....Will have to see...tomorrow is auction day....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: